What are these lil guys?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i cant get a exact mearurement right now, but they are about a half inch long, with maybe 3/16 antennea...just a guess since the weather is horrible here right now

the boxelder we have around here have the orange marking on their back, plus if is cold (40 or less) we don't see them around, same thing with Japanese bettles.

is this the boxelder you guys are talking about? this isnt it, the insect looks exactly like lightning bugs, but they dont have the light up part on the rear

hmm, thats not them either, ill hafta get a pic tommorrow, assuming i could find my way to the tree in all this freakin snow!!

Brendon,
I am also from ct I have been a lurker on AS for quite a while, regestered yesterday. Anyway back on topic I know the little buggers you mean. I've tried to ID them glancing through JOHNSON and LYON ,INSECTS THAT FEED ON TREES AND SHRUBS. No luck, just aglance but Iam very familliar with them.They have a flouresent orange/pink "collar" and same color under wings. Seems like at the first wiff of a fresh kill they are all over, by the end of the day they cover every stump and log. The only insect out in this frozen tundra. I've seen them on everything, oak, birch, beech, and maple , but boy do thse guys love oak. I am sure it has already been id' but my account just got activated and i was too excited to read the rest of the thread.

because they are so abundant in the cold climate and appear everywhere i would assume they are not detramental

Back