What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not 100% of my milled cherry, I used some kiln dried stuff for the wheel rim. If I'm bending the rules here I'm sorry but milling is one thing...I still need kiln dried material for wooden machines to run true. Since we are now showing off our 'real' work. Check this out.
This is a fully functional 30" diameter wheel. A bit more lathe work than hand tools. I make quite a few different models. Big ones, little ones, double wheel ones...

attachment.php

Nice Wheel Andrew! A neighbor of mine is into spinning--actually she has a couple of angora goats--sheers them, cleans the mohair, spins it into yarn, uses onion skins or little bugs off cactus (cochineal) to make dye and dyes the yarn, weaves it on her loom. She came to me wanting help to make a loom bench and with minor assistance from her (she did all the finishing) we made this:

attachment.php

Then she came wanting to make a swift. She got the wood from me and did all the turning, but I did the routerwork and tablesaw work, she assembled and finished it. Over the years she has become much more independent and a very good woodworker (So I guess, in the process, I also helped make this other woodworker)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Stonykill,

Showed the lead guitar player in my band the picture of your Strat Duplo and now he wants to build one from wood I will be milling this season. Just finished my mill today and only need to have the two chains made up for it and it will be ready to fire up. Going hunting next week so it will have to wait until I get back.

jerry-

Have you ever used Sassafras for instument making. I don't know how it would work on an electric. I have a little mandolin made out of Sassafras and it has the most melow, soft sound. I bought it at a craft show in Ohio bout 25years ago. Unfortunatly I can't play or tune it, so it just hangs on the wall looking nice, Joe.

Interesting on the sassafras, I have an older round back mandolin looks to have a beech sides and back and spruce top, not mellow, but not to harsh. Hope to get a mandolin build finished this winter, using curly mape back and sides with doug fir top, I expect that combo will be on the bright end of the spectrum.

Mandolin is pretty easy to learn, C-D-G chords are all two finger easy, so from there easy to bang away on 100s of songs.

Have you ever used Sassafras for instument making. I don't know how it would work on an electric. I have a little mandolin made out of Sassafras and it has the most melow, soft sound. I bought it at a craft show in Ohio bout 25years ago. Unfortunatly I can't play or tune it, so it just hangs on the wall looking nice, Joe.

I'm an electric guitar guy. Never owned an acoustic, or even wanted too. Not familiar with sassafras, so I'm not sure how it would work. I don't have any sassafras to even sample.

I need to mill a bunch of ash to dry out. I've been getting a lot of requests for ash.

Over the years she has become much more independent and a very good woodworker (So I guess, in the process, I also helped make this other woodworker)

Nice job on the bench..and the woodworker. There doesn't seem to be too many people giving woodworking a try. Rough carpentry yes (let's build a deck!!). If you cannot buy it in walmart of Ikea....there is no way to get it, forget making it. Glad to see you got someone else on their way into the world of woodworking. I haven't managed to do that yet.

Tried my hand at some book matching this summer with a small project designed to hold coffee cartridges. Made from a single pair of boards.
77a27e27.jpg

5f1f69cc.jpg

1912da8c.jpg

a59d1fee.jpg

86bbe699.jpg

nails vers staples

I got aquestion for you guys!
im building a home with my wood (doug fir framing!)
What Best would you reccomend for installing the exterior sheathing (osb)
Nails? or staples Or does it matter I have availible to me a stapler I have a spiker but have nothing to drive smaller nails other than by hand and don't want to go there!So should I invest in a smaller gun to drive smaller nails?

Opinons please!

Nails? or staples Or does it matter I have availible to me a stapler I have a spiker but have nothing to drive smaller nails other than by hand and don't want to go there!So should I invest in a smaller gun to drive smaller nails?

Opinons please!

I have a nailer, never use it. Nail, even framing by hand. Also, I personally don't like osb. I always use ply.

I have a nailer, never use it. Nail, even framing by hand. Also, I personally don't like osb. I always use ply.

I don't either but 4 bucks a sheet more than 3/8 ply I only got to worry for 30 more years or so!I got athrtis in my wrists air nailing is a must!

I don't either but 4 bucks a sheet more than 3/8 ply I only got to worry for 30 more years or so!I got athrtis in my wrists air nailing is a must!

the osb a crappy builder put on my addition, the roof no less, only lasted 10 years. I redid it myself right.

Sounds like you need a nailer.

I like galvanized ring shank nails because they hold better -- but you said you didn't want to nail by hand.

You could probably get away with long staples, if the staples are OK with the local inspector. I'd favor galvanized if they are available.

Yeah, don't we all...

I'm not 100% sold on the "cordless" nailers yet. I mean, I love the convenience and weight, but don't like the reliance on and extra cost of the proprietary cells.

Been using them for 5-6 years.
One of the best things I've ever bought.

Oh believe me, I'm not putting them down by any means. Those are just a couple steps up from my affordability range to begin with, and on top of that there's the continual cost of the fuel cells. I don't mind dragging an air hose around for the cost difference (for now!). Now, if I could refill the cells myself, then that would be something to really look into. But, for the amount of framing etc. I do, my $100 Campbell-Hausfeld cheapo will do for now.

Here's a few pic's of one of the bathrooms in our "never ending remodel".

There will be a claw foot tub on that back wall.
Phonepictures080.jpg

Detail of cap on wainscot.
Phonepictures078.jpg

Right down to the linnen cabinet, and trim.
Phonepictures139.jpg

This was all done from Sugar Pine that had layed in the log for a couple of years. I like the "blue" in it. I like to call this style finished rustic. :)

Andy

Nice work! Your bathroom has a very similar "feel" to one that my Uncle re-did with a lot of wood in his house a few years back. I love the blue stain too; it seems to be an acquired taste though as you'll find someone who hates it for every person that loves it. It is indeed great for a rustic feel and in my (limited) experience is best with clear finishes. Stains and even some tinted "yellow" oils tend to have really unpredictable results with it. At least in the Lodgepole pine up this way anyway; your results may differ.

Back