What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished this for a client last week. As simple as it is,
2962308990105432928S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] it's just what
they wanted.
2728712880105432928S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice table simple and looks great.
I may have the wrong idear here but in the bottom pick on the left there is a down pipe,whats the spare one coming out on and angle for ? :)

Brad, glad to see you are not afraid of hard work with a pick and shovel. I've done a bit of that myself. :D

How come your chipper mill doesn't have a yard full of logs like most mills ?

So far the la Nina rains have skirted just North of me, but I suspect I'll get my share before it's over. Gonna make it tough to get my shed closed in this fall.

Brad, glad to see you are not afraid of hard work with a pick and shovel. I've done a bit of that myself. :D

How come your chipper mill doesn't have a yard full of logs like most mills ?

So far the la Nina rains have skirted just North of me, but I suspect I'll get my share before it's over. Gonna make it tough to get my shed closed in this fall.

Heh, yeah, I just prefer to get paid to do work like this if I can!

The rains you speak of are the reason for us not having any logs. Ours are all coming out of the heart of the beetle-killed Lodgepole forests out west in the Chilcotin, and with all the trees dead, when it rains the water just sits, because in many areas the underlay is glacial clay and the water just can't seep into the ground fast enough.

I may have the wrong idear here but in the bottom pick on the left there is a down pipe,whats the spare one coming out on and angle for ? :)

I knew a guy who had one of those angled pipes in his shed and used it as a urinal. Kept a bottle of watery bleach to squirt in afterwards and kept it capped of course.

Last edited:

Looks like a clean-out to me in case the down spout clogs.

Used to be a urinal when buddies would come over to blow the froth off a few but since the Yellow Jackets found out it's a good place to build a nest, it is ill advised. Pipe goes under the shop and spills out onto a road.

Used to be a urinal when buddies would come over to blow the froth off a few but since the Yellow Jackets found out it's a good place to build a nest, it is ill advised. Pipe goes under the shop and spills out onto a road.

This is actually really easy to fix - a conical shaped funnel made of plastic insect screen or plastic sheet with a plastic insect screen cover inserted into the opening will do it.

Last edited:
This is actually really easy to fix - a conical shaped funnel made of plastic insect screen or plastic sheet with a plastic insect screen cover inserted into the opening will do it.

Is there anything out there that you have not made a little better?:clap:

Top of the morning to you BobL! Enjoy the first full day of Spring.

Cheers TF.

Spring? It's been spring here for the last week, clear sunny days with hi's of lo 80's. The big good news of the day is I can now take those itching finger splints off my fingers for a couple of hours a day. I can also straighten the ends of my fingers so this means the tendons have reattached.

BTW this is the best time of the year for milling weather but I still have to take it easy with the fingers for at least another 4 weeks. Dang!

Hmmm...I was understood that the Autumnal Equinox occurred 9/22 @23:09 hrs EST. You are 12 hrs ahead at Perth Western down under time so..OK 2nd full day. Glad to hear the splints are soon going to be a thing of the past. Above all, how's the throttle finger?

Hmmm...I was understood that the Autumnal Equinox occurred 9/22 @23:09 hrs EST. You are 12 hrs ahead at Perth Western down under time so..OK 2nd full day.
True but the actual onset of spring in Western Australia is when the first large high pressure cell sits in the Great Australian Bight and creates a trough across the SW coast. This raises temps by 10-20º over average and if it sits there light it has for a couple of weeks it creates the first buds of spring. This has been happening earlier and earlier for the last 20 years. Result is spring often starts around early september.

Glad to hear the splints are soon going to be a thing of the past. Above all, how's the throttle finger?
No individual finger required - I'm a full or no hand operator.
bobsmillingstyle.jpg

Last edited:
I look up at the night sky here and interesting enough with the Milky Way and all but I often wondered what a clear sky at your latitude shows the Great Magellanic Clouds. Do they stand out like pictures show? Oh! And I've got to make me one of those throttles.

Last edited:
I look up at the night sky here and interesting enough with the Milky Way and all but I often wondered what a clear sky at your latitude shows the Great Magellanic Clouds. Do they stand out like pictures show? Oh! And I've got to make me one of those throttles.

The GMC and the SMC are truly one of the wonders of the southern Hemisphere sky. You can't see them unless you are away from city lights and even then they are fuzz balls rather than distinct objects. The one time I have seen them in even greater glory was from a 767 cockpit - now that's a sight I will never forget.

I bet the Druids and Wiccans are having a fit with the full moon falling on the Equinox this year eh!

Anyway, I made a bit more progress on the retaining wall over the last couple days. Spent a significant amount of time yesterday just standing, looking, and thinking though. Felt unproductive, but I'd rather get things all sorted in my mind than overlook something important and find out the hard way down the line.

First up yesterday, it was time for inspection by the shift supervisor:

attachment.php

Everything checked out, I guess, so I kept plodding along.

attachment.php

Even got to bust out the vintage TS350 cutoff saw to do a bit of work with the blocks. I had to cut the "tails" off of a couple of them; then I can put the beveled ends tight together to make a 30° corner.

attachment.php

That's as far as I got last night. Starting to look like something, anyway. There is one 30° corner at the end of the timbers that form the main stretch of the wall; then another one three blocks past that. I was going to put in a third one to complete the full 90° turn at the end of the wall, but it really wouldn't make much difference in the end, and would end up making three short sections in the front of the wall instead of two longer ones, which would mean a lot more cutting and work. I still have to situate the last few blocks; I ended up having to move the end of the straight wall out a couple inches which threw everything all off. It's harder than it looks to get those all lined up really nice, too.

attachment.php

Today I got the bottom platform framed in, and all the timbers you see have been anchored with rebar and are nice and sturdy now. The boards are just sitting there for now; I built a small frame out of pressure-treated 4X4 posts and set it inside the big timbers on top of a healthy layer of drain rock. An 8X8 will go across the back of this level on top of the two deadman pieces and will act as the step up to the next platform; next, a longer deadman will go all the way from the face of the wall back to the back of this next platform and will act as the step up to the next level, a 90° turn to the right. Hopefully I'll get a fair bit of that done tomorrow, since I should have all day to work on it. I'm still going to need a fair bit more 8X8 stock though - I need quite a few short pieces which may not work out all that nicely with the lengths I have, so I hope I can get away without wasting too much. I still have 10 logs left to mill up top though, 6 of which should give me nice 8X8s 10-12 feet long.

It's turning out to be a bit more of a project than I initially thought I was getting into, but so far I'm happy with how it's looking and coming together. It's something I've wanted to get done for five-odd years now, so it's about time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back