What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I may add that to this mill, or go for version 2. Unfortunately, I WILL need a larger bar (18" isn't enough), and with only 59cc's of saw, more bar will require more saw!

if you go thru my posts from a few years ago, and at the beginning of this thread, you will see me running as small as a 48cc Stihl (031) with a 24 inch bar and lp chain from Baileys. My favorite setup was a 50 something cc Pioneer Holiday, 24 inch bar, lp chain and an Alaskan. Light weight, and plenty of power for smaller logs. Hard and soft wood. But yes, a bigger saw makes it go faster. Plus I ran old, lower rpm, high torque saws when milling with small saws. Still, it can be done.......

if you go thru my posts from a few years ago, and at the beginning of this thread, you will see me running as small as a 48cc Stihl (031) with a 24 inch bar and lp chain from Baileys. My favorite setup was a 50 something cc Pioneer Holiday, 24 inch bar, lp chain and an Alaskan. Light weight, and plenty of power for smaller logs. Hard and soft wood. But yes, a bigger saw makes it go faster. Plus I ran old, lower rpm, high torque saws when milling with small saws. Still, it can be done.......

Yep I agree you could run a 24" bar on that saw especially if it was an 050 and you ran lopro chain.

Uses for wood

I had to drop by the Blue Cross office today to drop off my monthly premium and saw a friend of mine in the lobby who I worked with there. We started talking and I mentioned that i had sold my Frick mill last weekend. Turns out that he is making writing pens out of wood. I mentioned that I had some walnut strips and slabs left over from a couple of weeks ago and he was welcome to them. Each pen takes a 1"x1"x5" block of wood to make. The end result is that i will get a couple of his pens in exchange for wood I was going to burn.

I will try to get a picture of his work.

Purlins installed on one side.
attachment.php

Fine work by all. That barn is looking good Mtn. What kind of permit situation exists in your county there?

Heck I like using my SXL Homelite to mill alot of softwood stuff... (Spalted elm, cedar, what not!) It works great.. Richend it up a bit and filed down my own ripping chain.

Looking great Mtn., that roof is going to make some good sound in the rain.

I can hear it from here! As a young kid I lived in a house that had an iron roof and no insulation loved the sound it made when it rained. Our current house which we have own for more than 30 years also has an iron roof but the insulation dampens the sound a fair bit.

Oh yeah - it looks great Mtngun!

yep walk in to the kitchen ,one step down to the family room . You should clean up thoes sharp sticks though for when you back up to admire your great work and fall through.

Solar Kiln

I finally got the siding on my solar kiln. It lacks handles to lift the doors, vents, and a fan. I milled all the framing from Ponderosa Pine, and the siding from Western Red Cedar. The glass is recycled shower doors and it's sitting on railroad ties which were here when we bought the place. OSB and nails are the only thing I had to buy :laugh:

kiln-1a.jpg

kiln-1b.jpg

kiln-1c.jpg

If i weren't so far i would come by and watch. sky looks ominous , but the barn sure looks nice . Bobs on the road again maybe he's comming by but with bum fingers he won't be much help. glade you cleaned up ill sleep better.

Latest posts

Back