What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about painting your posts with roofing tar before putting them in the ground? That should seal them up nicely.

Ian

Thanks but unfortunately any outside coating, even roofing tar, won't do much to keep water and rot out of the wood as eventually water will find its way in. It has to be something that will penetrate the wood fibers and stay in the wood.

Mountain Dulcimer

I had some well seasoned maple, butternut and cherry, all quarter sawn that I milled up with CSM a few years ago so I set to building a mountain dulcimer.

Never built an instrument before so it was a good learning project. Every bit of wood came from the farm cut up with a CSM. Milled up the bridges out of brass, did buy the fret wire and tuning gears though.

pic 1 is a slab of maple I started with
pic 2 is the back bookmatched and jointed together
pic 3 is the back and sides
pic 4 is the inside
pic 5 is the dulcimer put together, still needs a couple more coats of finish

Fun Project, sounds far better than I expected for a first crack at instrument building.

Last edited:
I had some well seasoned maple, butternut and cherry, all quarter sawn that I milled up with CSM a few years ago so I set to building a mountain dulcimer.

Never built an instrument before so it was a good learning project. Every bit of wood came from the farm cut up with a CSM. Milled up the bridges out of brass, did buy the fret wire and tuning gears though.

pic 1 is a slab of maple I started with
pic 2 is the back bookmatched and jointed together
pic 3 is the back and sides
pic 4 is the inside
pic 5 is the dulcimer put together, still needs a couple more coats of finish

Fun Project, sounds far better than I expected for a first crack at instrument building.

Very nice dulcimer Timberwolf... for some reason didn't see this post before. Do you play? I built myself a hammer dulcimer years ago and used to play in a small group most of whom had mountain dulcimers like yours.

Nice work Timber. I treked in Nepal once, actually a few times but one time I met a kid on the trail selling dulcimers. Not as nice as yours but it had a great a great homegrown sound. I don't know where it wound up but maybe after seeing you do one I'll try one myself. Really looks nice.

i am working on a very large project. this building is approximately 25,000 square feet. it used to be a lodge, now it is being converted into a residence. the entire roof was removed, along with all interior walls and floors. i am using my lt40 super to mill everthing on site. out of the removed logs from the roof and interior, i am milling 3x random width for interior "siding", 8x for dovetail timber exterior siding, and slab log for siding to cover framed walls. i have only milled the 3x so far, and have milled over 13,000 bf. by the time it is all said and done i will probably have milled over 25,000 bf in square material and turned another 20,000 bf of logs into slab log siding. i havent been on the job for about 2 weeks, but the last day i was there there was alot of machinery.
2 articulated off-road dump trucks, 6 excavators, 1 long boom excavator, 2 cranes, 1 dozer, 2 950 loaders, 2 telehandler forklifts, 1 rock crusher (grinding removed concrete), 1 wood shredder (mulching all removed wood), 2 mini-excavators, 2 skidsteers, and my woodmizer.

On the Dulcimer, I am not much of a player, but am picking up a few things on it. Thinking of starting an 8 string baritone ukulele, tuning is like the upper 4 strings of a guitar doubled up so a little more familiar to me. Though most of the wood for this one someone else will have milled. Going to work with some lacewood, paduk and purple heart.

i am working on a very large project. this building is approximately 25,000 square feet. it used to be a lodge, now it is being converted into a residence. the entire roof was removed, along with all interior walls and floors. i am using my lt40 super to mill everthing on site. out of the removed logs from the roof and interior, i am milling 3x random width for interior "siding", 8x for dovetail timber exterior siding, and slab log for siding to cover framed walls. i have only milled the 3x so far, and have milled over 13,000 bf. by the time it is all said and done i will probably have milled over 25,000 bf in square material and turned another 20,000 bf of logs into slab log siding. i havent been on the job for about 2 weeks, but the last day i was there there was alot of machinery.
2 articulated off-road dump trucks, 6 excavators, 1 long boom excavator, 2 cranes, 1 dozer, 2 950 loaders, 2 telehandler forklifts, 1 rock crusher (grinding removed concrete), 1 wood shredder (mulching all removed wood), 2 mini-excavators, 2 skidsteers, and my woodmizer.

Cool project. Why was the roof removed? 3x is massive for siding. It ought to look good though.

Nice pic. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. :)

elkmountainaspentimes.jpg

Amazing location

That will be some residence when its finished. What kind of acreage goes with the lodge?

Well my project isn't as impressive as spencerhenry's, but here is what I did with the Juniper I milled along with some old Aspen that has been sticker stacked out in the weather for quite a while.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/redprospector/OurHouseRemodel078.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/redprospector/OurHouseRemodel077.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/redprospector/OurHouseRemodel076.jpg

Here is a Pocket door I built.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/redprospector/OurHouseRemodel071.jpg

Andy

OK, here is my modest effort. The first stuff built with my own milled wood! :biggrinbounce2:

This is yellow birch, one piece top, about 22" high.

attachment.php

Very nice grain, smells like cherry in the shop. Nice to work with.

attachment.php

I made four! All for family gifts...

attachment.php

I glued a pic on the bottom of each, the tree getting cut down... This is special wood since it comes from the family cottage. :cheers:

I sawed the beams on my mill and timberframed our family room about 10 years ago. Most are oak, theres one maple & one hickory. One of the 6x6 rafters came from an old apple tree my grandfather had planted, wind took it over. Also did the flooring, trim, & tulip ceiling.
famroomx.jpg

Back