What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some spalted maple

these are a few pics of 2 end tables, and 1 bench that I made from spalted maple. I got home one day, and a local firewood guy, who brings me stuff he can't sell, for free of course, dropped 2 4 foot logs, around 30 inches in diameter in the yard. Wheww, that was a sentence. Anyway, I milled what I could salvage, and the balance is in the firewood pile.

th_IMGP03201.jpg

th_IMGP03211.jpg

th_IMGP03231.jpg

th_IMGP03221.jpg

All this was milled with the pioneer Holiday, 58cc's. I used the mini mill and the 24 inch alaskan to mill the 30 inch or so logs into cants. Had i had the Pioneer P51's at the time, I would have used one of those. 58cc's and a 24 inch bar did it, just took some thought, and the small loader to roll the logs.

Nice job Stonykill. That sure is some beautiful wood, Im glad you were able to salvage it and turn it into something. Again,GREAT job!!!:clap:

nice save! I picked up a spalted maple burl the other day...only got a bout five bd ft out of it but it will make a nice little jewelry box or something in a year or two....

nice save! I picked up a spalted maple burl the other day...only got a bout five bd ft out of it but it will make a nice little jewelry box or something in a year or two....

thanks, I've got a decent supply of it left. A few boards are set aside for guitar bodys, I'll figure out what to do with the rest......

BEAUTIFUL pieces stony, great job. I love that bench. I like how you took something destined for the trash heap or firepit and turned it into something that people may very well be enjoying 100 years from now.

BEAUTIFUL pieces stony, great job. I love that bench. I like how you took something destined for the trash heap or firepit and turned it into something that people may very well be enjoying 100 years from now.

thanks woodshop. I find that the most beautiful wood is what most people consider junk. Thats what its all about, milling unusual wood, to make interesting projects

Great thread. Tons of beautiful work here. This is a rocking cradle I built when my daughter was born last spring. It's made from Pacific Yew I had cut for longbows but that didn't make the grade. Since I had packed it out of a canyon on my back, it seemed a shame to not use it for something special. I milled the wood with an 8" jointer and a big bandsaw.

J. D.
Cradle.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread. Tons of beautiful work here. This is a rocking cradle I build when my daughter was born last spring. It's made from Pacific Yew I had cut for longbows but that didn't make the grade. Since I had packed it out of a canyon on my back, it seemed a shame to not use it for something special. I milled the wood with an 8" jointer and a big bandsaw.

J. D.
Cradle.jpg

very nice. So you build bows. Self bows? I've built a few myself. Selfbows that is. Its time to build another. Each one gets a little better than the last. I use what we have here on the east coast. I've got a roughed out bow blank of dogwood to start tillering. I've also got 4 birch staves drying. I've used the birch before for unbacked self bows and had good luck, until a hinge formed. My fault. The best one I ever built was of white oak. 68 inch longbow, 1 1/2 wide at the widest point on the limbs. It pulled 65 lbs. Eventually it broke. I let a friend try it, he had never used a self bow, and he overdrew it, it broke a few months later. Like I said, time to make a new selfbow.

Great thread. Tons of beautiful work here. This is a rocking cradle I built when my daughter was born last spring. It's made from Pacific Yew I had cut for longbows but that didn't make the grade. Since I had packed it out of a canyon on my back, it seemed a shame to not use it for something special. I milled the wood with an 8" jointer and a big bandsaw.

J. D.
Cradle.jpg

Awesome job!!!:clap:

Yeah, selfbows and wood arrows only. I hunt with them, too.

Here's a doug fir arrow from an old-growth I slabbed and doweled:
Arrow.jpg

Here's the bow I hunted with this year--83# Yew English Longbow:
HuntingBow.jpg

Here's a 110# Yew warbow replica:
Warbow.jpg

I'd love to see what you build. It's a wonderful, challenging hobby.

J. D.

I'll have to see if I have any pics. I doubt it, but I'll look. I'll post the dogwood bow pics when its done. I haven't built one in about a year, I've been too busy, but its time to take a few for me, and my sanity:confused:

It is a great hobby. I only killed small game with a self bow, just never had a shot at a deer while carrying one. Killed several with a compound, but that isn't even close to the same thing.

Nice work on the cradle - I like the bit about packing it out on your back! It reminds me of visiting an eco-miller in Brisbane. I travelled by train and he very kindly offered me some 2" x 4" pieces of Japanese Oak. So he cut 2 x 2 ft pieces and added another 2 x 2 ft pieces of flooded gum. I put all 4 pieces into my backpack and took it back to my hotel - at one point I was walking through the Brisbane city mall and got some strange looks from people. Anyway I finally got it back to the other side of the country OK.

Nice work on the cradle - I like the bit about packing it out on your back!

Same here... that part struck me. Puts meaning to the phrase "labor of love". I'm one who gets sentimental about exactly where the wood comes from when I make something. Example, I kept the wood from the cradle all three of my girls grew up in as babies. They are young women now, but some day I'll make something small from that wood for each of them. When I first started milling I used to try and keep track of all my boards, what part of the country they came from, what farm or whatever. That became impossible one I started milling thousands of feet a year, but I still mark the boards of special trees so I can pick them out later. Beautiful work, nice job on that cradle.

. . . . . Example, I kept the wood from the cradle all three of my girls grew up in as babies. They are young women now, but some day I'll make something small from that wood for each of them.

Nice idea ! This reminds me of the following, as a child my wife had a solid gold bracelet made from the last of the gold that her grandfather had mined from a place called Bamboo creek during the 1920's. When she was about 17 she found she could not remove it and had to have it it cut off because it was getting a bit too tight. Eventually her mother had the gold made into 3 broaches for her 3 grand daughters, much to her annoyance my wife missed out completely.

BIL Mill - first product

A week or so back I was rummaging through some milling off-cuts that had ended up on the firewood pile and I noticed a badly warped face cut from a Liquid Amber which was the first log I milled with the BIL Mill. Anyway it looked pretty warped and bent so I cut a bit off and tested it with my moisture tested and it said 15% I threw it in the van and it kept calling me saying it wanted to be a tray so here it is.

tray.jpg

The sides are sheoak - milled with my small mill earlier this year. I going to give it as an Xmas gift to my sister (BIL's wife) for putting up with me dropping around all the time to chew the fat on mills with BIL.

Last edited:
A week or so back I was rummaging through some milling off-cuts that had ended up on the firewood pile and I noticed a badly warped face cut from a Liquid Amber which was the first log I milled with the BIL Mill. Anyway it looked pretty warped and bent so I cut a bit off and tested it with my moisture tested and it said 15% I threw it in the van and it kept calling me saying it wanted to be a tray so here it is.

attachment.php

The sides are sheoak - milled with my small mill earlier this year. I going to give it as an Xmas gift to my sister (BIL's wife) for putting up with me dropping around all the time to chew the fat on mills with BIL.

Nice job Bob!:clap:

Back