What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great!!!!

Closing out the 3 posts above, I finally finished the bench (tung oil) and with the fumes of the last coat still floating around in my head, I post these picts for your entertainment. I chamfered the edges of the seat about 1/8" and the legs and stretchers about 1/16" and that really cleaned up the look. I'm quite happy with the design, even thought the seat slab is not the ideal board... but it still carries the memory and history of the family.

I've decided that the shape of the legs worked better than I thought it ever would. They don't seem too heavy from any direction, but from either front or side, they seem to have a strong "thigh" or "foot" lending a stable look, but not too heavy from any one direction.

The joinery isn't perfect, but I'm not either.

Hope you enjoy, keep working and post more of your work soon to inspire us all.

Mill safe,

Schumann

P.S. Anybody know anything about that hand plane I have? Thanks!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:clap:

Nice!

Yeah it's my favorite thread, glad I started it.

I just build this out of scraps of spalted and wormy maple. Plays like butta. Best one I've built so far.

IMGP00431.jpg

Stonykill,

Showed the lead guitar player in my band the picture of your Strat Duplo and now he wants to build one from wood I will be milling this season. Just finished my mill today and only need to have the two chains made up for it and it will be ready to fire up. Going hunting next week so it will have to wait until I get back.

jerry-

Some handmade hand tools

I've been working a lot down in the basement over the last few days - mostly cleanup, organizing, fixing broken stuff, and working on a couple major non-wooden projects. I had an extra hour or so to kill this evening though, so I decided to throw one of my small pieces of "special" Birch on the lathe to make this:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I used a small (4" dia.) spalted Birch crotch piece that I'd had kicking around for three years or so. It had cracked in from the ends such that this was about all I could get out of it anyway. The handle is about 2" dia. and was turned from the exact center of the crotch, with the top of the handle being towards the actual "V" part of the crotch; this is why the grain quilting appears to fan out along with the mushroom shape of the handle. The spalted areas are still nice and hard too; I salvaged this piece at just the right time. I got the brass ferrule from a hose repair shop while on my roadtrip down south a few days ago. I've had a hard time tracking them down locally - the few I had I snagged from the sawmill I worked at. They're pretty cheap, like 50¢ apiece, so I got half a dozen of a few various sizes. The awl itself is an worn-out 5/32" chainsaw file, ground smooth and to a point. I left the "teeth" of the file on the section that went inside the handle - this allowed it to almost thread in and together with some CA glue is holding really tight. Overall I'm really happy with the way this one turned out (no pun intended). These pics were taken after only one coat of Polyurethane, so I still need to sand and re-coat a couple times to get a really nice hard finish.

I also made this file handle a couple weeks ago:

attachment.php

Still spalted Birch, but not really figured wood. I gave this one to my cousin along with my Husky 50 to use for the winter.

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous!!!
What I would like to see is the shop that you used to build it.
I do not have the space to even begin a project like that.
Much less the time. I do however have a nice stack of black walnut that could do a project like that justice. That would be an enjoyable project to undertake.

Wow. Part of me would love to undertake something like that, but another part of me (the rational one) knows I wouldn't have the patience OR skill needed to do it justice right now. Someday.

How many hours do you think you have invested in that? I've read of other projects like it in magazines that took people literally years to build on the side, but I'm not sure how long it would take if that was a guy's dayjob.

Holy crap some serious talent on this forum!!! Great job everyone!! Stoney really like that guitar I play myself and would love to get my hands on that for a gig!! HA HA Awesome!

Thanks, you guys.
Your right, there is some serious talent on this forum.
I am constantly impressed with the ingenuity, creativity, and talent
shown here.
Stony... a master of the Country Form, even expresses it in his guitars, BobL a milling Monster and a maker of heirloom tools, Woodshop an all around Craftsman and so many others....too many to mention.
But the best thing is, and what makes this place unique is,
we do it ALL with wood we have taken from tree to finished product.
Few craftsmen actually do that.
Backwood, I probably have a couple hundred hours in this secretary, an
hour here, a half hour there, plus other projects usually going at the same time.
As for my shop, it's only a hobbie shop in my basement. I have to build projects like that in sections and assemble them up in my living room (I have a very understanding wife).
I have the usual woodworking tools, Tablesaw, 6" jointer,14" bandsaw,router, etc.
The one big tool I do have is a 20" planer. but then again I get 15-16" boards for free. Ha ha.
I have a pretty good collection of hand tools. I'm self taught, do not work from plans, I just take my time and have fun.
It's really just a matter of breaking it down int small sub projects and then
just sawing and chiseling to a line.
I say Put that walnut to good use and be ambitious, strechig yourself is how you grow.

Here is a couple of shots of my humble shop.
Gene

nice little shop Gene.

I work out of a small shop. 12 x 24. only heat a 12 x 12 portion from december to spring. Less hand tools than you, way less. 25 year old unisaw, drill press, lathe, 14 inch bandsaw, stationary belt sander, 13 inch planer,and the usual array of hand held power tools. And my shop is NEVER as clean as yours.

It is also full of handmade jigs and templates for guitars. Piles of them. The guitar business seems to be going better than the furniture business this year.

That's one of the more impressive working hand tool/plane/chisel collections I've seen in a while! I really like those Purpleheart chisel handles in the last pic, or at least that's what they look like from this end. I also really like the low-angle smoothing plane that's a couple shelves up and to the right, directly above the long-handled mallet in the foreground of the same shot. I've been trying to find a good used one of those for a while now; my hypothesis is that they're all made of Iron-clad solid gold, or at least prices would lead one to believe that! Same goes for a good scraper plane.

I love collecting and even sometimes using old hand tools, but in my hands they're nowhere near as accurate as power tools in most cases, so they usually sit on the shelf until I find myself really needing to use one where a power tool just won't work.

Last edited:
Gene that is a very nice piece you made, did you make it for yourself or to sell, if to sell what's something like that go for?

Some great pieces are coming out of some nice hobby shops. I keep telling my wife that I am not done collecting tools. As for the dust free environment, it must be nice. I have a pile under the table saw that is starting to reach a critical point, and the bin for the planner shavings is starting to over flow. I was at one of the kids basket ball games today and pulled out a couple pieces and sanded them while I was there. I should finish all of the Christmas stuff up by the end of January. Then comes the birthday season.

I just finished these walnut cabinets for the old tin robots I collect.
cab3.jpg
The walnut came from my bandmill, all air dried.
cab1.jpg
The cabinets are just over 4 ft tall, 14" wide. Small 6 watt light strips under the top & wood shelf. The other shelves are 1/4" glass.

Latest posts

Back