What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a walnut slab table I made from a slab Lester cut for me. Still have to make more permenant legs but that will need to wait till the workshop warms up!

bus stop

This corner behind the bus stop used to be the home of an old rotten ##### willow that I dug out many years ago. The pump house and brush on the other side of the fence is not mine. The area behind the gate has had a whole pile of sawdust from the mill and plenty of pig manure that has aged for a few years and sustains a healthy ground cover that I weedeated down before I got started and it should come back strong in the spring. The area under the bus stop will be closed in for another fort area for the boys. I used 6x6 Doug-fir for supports, 2x6 for the frame of the floor and 1x24 redwood boards for the floor. The walls are 2x4 framed with some 1x12 reclaimed d-fir barn siding boards and fresh cut d-fir edgings that were squared up on three sides at 6” are used for bats. The roof is 2x6 frame with 1x12-13 for sheeting with tin on top. I still have to skirt it, build four benches two inside and two outside on the front porch, build a step, and spread some fresh gravel. Then I can start on the trap door, the backpack hooks, shelves, ect……..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The shelf is made from Madrone.
attachment.php

Both horse barns are made from figured maple.
attachment.php

There are 34 fence sections to build a working horse farm that
store in the top shelf. The farm comes with 12 horses as well.
attachment.php

One extra animal to contain on the farm.
As a side note the trim on the cabinet in the back ground is Madrone from the same tree as well.
attachment.php

Nice figured maple.

Madrone is that the same as Arbutis?

Yes, that would be Arbutus. It grows locally and is highly sought after for firewood because of the BTU that it produces and the low volume of ash that results. Damage to the tree will give the wood the darker red color. Drying Madrone can be a challenge, a vacuum kiln is needed to prevent cell collapse during drying. It makes for a beautiful floor with the dark reds and light pink colors evenly dispersed.
attachment.php

Ok. I have never heard of it called Madrone before. I always wondered what it looked like as lumber. It only grows in this province along the rocky shoreline on the south coast. Looks like it would be hard to get straight logs of any length.

Yes, that would be Arbutus. It grows locally and is highly sought after for firewood because of the BTU that it produces and the low volume of ash that results. Damage to the tree will give the wood the darker red color. Drying Madrone can be a challenge, a vacuum kiln is needed to prevent cell collapse during drying. It makes for a beautiful floor with the dark reds and light pink colors evenly dispersed.
attachment.php

Backwoods,

Madrone is a pretty wood. About three years ago a friend of mine had a 30"+ Madrone tree go down from an Oak tree falling on it. At that time I wasn't into milling so it got cut up for fire wood.

I was just talking to my Dad, the retire engineer, and he was telling me how to make a vacuum de-humidifier for wood. Have you done this process?

The wood does burn hot and I can go three nights of burning before I need to remove any ash.

I'll have to take a piece of the wood and try making something with it.

jerry-

Most Madrone logs are best suited for firewood but when you find a nice big straight one mill it up. It is a real nice wood to work and requires very little sanding to produce a nice finish.

Both horse barns are made from figured maple.
There are 34 fence sections to build a working horse farm that
store in the top shelf. The farm comes with 12 horses as well.
One extra animal to contain on the farm.

That horse farm would have been my wifes dream as a girl!
I'd give you a greenie but I have to spread the lurve.
Nice wood too!

fence rails

Milled up some boards a few weeks ago for this gate entrance at home,today was cool enough to get out and bolt some on and hang the gate ,its been up around 105F but today 96F much cooler:D might get some more milling done tommorrow ,got another 12 boards to put up before this jobs done
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Wisconsin Birch

Usually Just a lurker here, but I milled some paper birch off our woods last May into live edge slabs for railing spindles around our open staircase. They also made a nice swinging gate to keep our 2 year old from launching down the stairs. The posts were partially 4-sided with my chainsaw and then smoothed with a drawknife. All the milling was done with my 357 with 18" bar and .325 95VP Oregon chain (narrow kerf). I didn't try a real ripping chain, and the 95VP was a much cleaner cutter than 3 or so other chains I tried. The mill is a small Granberg. Fun project!

Great content here everyone! Keep it up.

BTW, you're all completely obsessed!

Cheers
Chris

Latest posts

Back