What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mtngun,
When I did the tin roof on my cabin I found that the cheep soft rubber knee boots worked really well, even when the roof was wet. My roof was a 12 pitch roof too so pretty steep!

A pair of Tingely band slip on Rubber boots should do the trick they are great on ice. Nice warm steel you should be like spider man.

I tested all the footwear on hand by trying to slide it on a piece of roofing. Also tested various types of foam that were laying around.

Only shoes worth a darn were snow packs. Guess their soles are very soft for walking on ice.

Only foam worth a darn was from a seat cushion. Might use it as a non-stick pad to hold tools without sliding off the roof.

Meanwhile, the special shoes are supposed to be here late next week. I may wait for them, as I've heard good things about them.

Nice work!!!

mtngun - I love your barn! I remember seeing some pictures of a house you were working on a while ago and that looked great too.

I'm looking forward to working on a structure at some point in the future but for now I'm concentrating on furniture. Here's an idea I came up with to show off an interesting maple log I snagged that fell onto the side of the road after being killed by ivy. The frame is English walnut that I milled from a yard tree.

shelf.jpg

This is a hall table with a live edge top from cedar I milled in Idaho. I also milled the cherry from a nail filled yard tree. The black walnut was bought from someone who cut it free hand with a chainsaw - took a lot of work to straighten it out.

IMG_4492.jpg

Here's a table I made with a bent laminated base and a book matched top from a lovely walnut log I milled.

IMG_1870.jpg

I wish I had the skills and tools to build a structure,,I need a barn bad,,but for now,,I'm makin furnuture too...Havent got to do much this summer cause of my work,,but hope this winter,,I have a few things to make for Christmas gifts....

Slab siding to keep the rain and snow from blowing in, until I have time to mill
lumber for board and batten siding.
attachment.php

That looks fantastic!!!

Ready to move my "stuff" in as soon as you say it is okay.

I wish.

Kevin

another siding option might be Adirondack siding, are you familiar with it?
one cut below the slab with a live edge bottom. when you cut and match the live edge bottoms it can look pretty good

keep the pics coming

Slab siding to keep the rain and snow from blowing in, until I have time to mill
:clap:I have to agree with everyone else, that looks great. Amazing work you have done there so far. It will look great with the board and batten siding on it. I know it wouldn't be weather tight like it is, but I kind of like the rustic look of the slab siding you have there now. Keep posting the pics, they are great.

Awesome!!!!!

attachment.php

I wish I had the skill to build something like that!! Great job!!! :clap:

attachment.php

This is a chest I am slowly getting done. The frame is doug fir scrounged off of a jobsite back when I was wiring houses in the Thousand Islands. The dark strip down the middle panel is mahogony that was also scrounged out of the scrap pile on the same house (ended up with a ton of 12" to 18" 5/4" mahogony out of that pile). The rest is maple, poplar and red oak I have been milling up and some I have taken from pallet wood. I made the panels by planing the boards, ripping them into 1/2" wide pieces, drilling and doweling them all together and then running the glued and dried panels through the planer and those are what I ended up with.

Beautiful work on the chest, JimDad.

Finally got the ridge cap installed on the roof.
attachment.php

The foam soles on the Korkers are replaceable. They attach with velcro. Don't last too long, but I couldn't have worked on this 6 in 12 pitch without them.
attachment.php

Bench and saw horse with left over wood

I was cleaning up my scrape wood piles over the weekend and this is what I ended up with. A bench made of WRC strips left over from a siding project and a set of stacking saw horse made from beatle killed pine off my property. You can't have to many saw horses.

I was cleaning up my scrape wood piles over the weekend and this is what I ended up with. A bench made of WRC strips left over from a siding project and a set of stacking saw horse made from beatle killed pine off my property. You can't have to many saw horses.

Beatle-killed Pine, eh? Would that be Norwegian Wood, by chance? :givebeer:

Sorry, I just had to...:cry:

hi bob the seat back and base are alder and the legs are ash, the plugs covering the fixings are flowering cherry
ped

Latest posts

Back