What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something out of nothing.

This thread has been a fitting remedy a case of Sunday morning insomnia.

Here is a picture of an Ash slab table I made out of boredom.

When I was milling the log I made the mistake of not using long/full length wedges. The short wedges caused the slab to bow and pinch the bar in the middle of the log.

This slab was badly cupped but I was able to get it rather straight after letting it sit in the sun for a few days.
My first thought was to shoot the slab with some buck shots and make a very primitive looking butchers table for my cabin in the Catskills. After some consideration I elected to throw some legs on it and call it day.

View attachment 195917View attachment 195918View attachment 195919View attachment 195920View attachment 195921

Mtngun are your flooring boards not tongue and groove? Just jointed,butted together and glued? Have you noticed any movement in the floor since you laid it?

Mtngun are your flooring boards not tongue and groove? Just jointed,butted together and glued? Have you noticed any movement in the floor since you laid it?
I assume you are asking about my bedroom floors ? Yes, just jointed and butted together. No movement to speak of as the glue does not let it go anywhere.

Only problem is that the glue I used was water based, so it wetted the boards and made them expand a little. Then as the glue and board dried, naturally the board shrank a little and now the gap between boards is not as tight as it was when I laid the board. Not huge, but it's there if you look closely.

But overall, I'm happy with the floors.

It did take longer installing it this way compared to T&G, and more sanding was required to bring the boards down to the same height, and it was hard to avoid making a mess with the glue. That was the main disadvantage. Otherwise, if you don't mind a rustic look, and if you don't have a way to T&G, the glue down method does work OK.

Last edited:
Anyone milling cabin logs?

attachment.php

I am so bad at remembering to take pictures. Here are a few of my current projects. Both are birch that I milled from my land. The table is shown just stained and with one coat of sealer on the top. I'll finish spraying in the morning. The 2nd table picture is right after I sprayed the sealer, so there is a bit of overspray in the pic. The 2nd piece is a tv cabinet I have been building. That one won't be done for a week or so as its no hurry. I'll post pics of both finished after they are done. The table pics should be here saturday. All the birch was milled with a 48cc 031, 24 inch bar, baileys lp chain.

KLONDIKE CABIN PLAN

We are in the process of milling (straight slabbing) for this small cabin we plan on starting next year in the summer or fall.

bw

We are in the process of milling (straight slabbing) for this small cabin we plan on starting next year in the summer or fall.
While I don't care for the term cabin, since it refers to derogatory historical references, I know many people call houses/homes a cabin if they are rustic.

My friend built this saloon last year which has a timber floor. He sold it cheap, around $10k-$12k with the siding. I notice your milling your siding at 1.25", seems a bit thick to me. I plan to use board/batten on some of my inside walls, but will do 5/8" thick for that, so it's easier to work with. Since you will need some type of insulation in the wall, you could probably get away with thinner stock also, but would be a lot of waste using a chainsaw mill.

Anyway, your project reminded me of this saloon...(and yes, he did mill this timber:)

100% white pine, BW! ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

While I don't care for the term cabin, since it refers to derogatory historical references, I know many people call houses/homes a cabin if they are rustic.

My friend built this saloon last year which has a timber floor. He sold it cheap, around $10k-$12k with the siding. I notice your milling your siding at 1.25", seems a bit thick to me. I plan to use board/batten on some of my inside walls, but will do 5/8" thick for that, so it's easier to work with. Since you will need some type of insulation in the wall, you could probably get away with thinner stock also, but would be a lot of waste using a chainsaw mill.

Anyway, your project reminded me of this saloon...(and yes, he did mill this timber:)

100% white pine, BW! ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pretty cool deal there!

Headed out rock fishing this weekend after getting skunked salmon fishing last weekend. I made this fish gigger for the deck hand who lost his last weekend. Milled some ash a couple of years ago, so I turned another handle and made the stainless steel pieces so, no rust. Put some stain/sealer on it and Mike will be happy.

jerry-

attachment.php

What to do with scrapes...

I'm sorry it's been awhiles for me...I finally been able to get some stuff done and so here we go,,you wonder if you have small stuff laying around and hate to just trow it away,,I always thought that so I bought a scroll saw and damn this little thing is fun.....

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=199772&stc=1&d=1316461823

The tv stand I finally got finished and this tv been sitting in the box since Christmas till July...LOL!!!

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=199776&stc=1&d=1316462018

Ash blanket chest

I have to confess up front. The project in the photos is from wood that I only helped to mill. I did cut the tree down and help the sawyer with the Woodmizer to turn the log into lumber. I did the rest myself drying, planing, jointing,etc. The ash blanket chest in the photos has crotch grain panels in the front and the hingles are from Rockler. The wood for the front panels was in my shop for over 10 years before I figured out what I wanted to do with it. I think this was the right use. The finish is polyurathane.

Keep up the good work.:D

I have to confess up front. The project in the photos is from wood that I only helped to mill. I did cut the tree down and help the sawyer with the Woodmizer to turn the log into lumber. I did the rest myself drying, planing, jointing,etc. The ash blanket chest in the photos has crotch grain panels in the front and the hingles are from Rockler. The wood for the front panels was in my shop for over 10 years before I figured out what I wanted to do with it. I think this was the right use. The finish is polyurathane.

Beautiful work! I'll have to send a picture of your ash chest to my friend who had an ash tree with crouch wood cut up because he didn't want to wait to have someone mill it. He's going to feel sick...

Thanks for the pictures.

jerry-

What kind of hinges did you put on that chest. I built some benches in the kitchen and need some decent hinges to attach the tops.

That's some of the prettiest work I've seen.

Back