What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few months back I picked up an old Lickity Split Log Splitter. The chasis is made up of a of angle iron and a wood deck. The angle is cracked where the axle goes through on both sides, and the wood deck is a little less than atractive. I have some heavier gauge angle and plan on making a new frame. Instead of using some 2X10 and painting it yellow for a new deck I decided to use some of the White Birch I milled up. Since I have plenty of angle I plan on extending the deck 10 or 12 inches to mount a battery for the new engine. The old engine was an eight hp Kohler pull start. The new engine is a 12 hp Kohler electric start off an old Cub Cadet. Since the Cub has a full electrical system I'm going to scavange the wiring and head lights and make a fold down light bar mounted to the back, for those early fall evenings. Here's a couple pics of the Birch and machine.

The White Birch right after I milled it.
002-24.jpg

I think several coats of Spar Urathane will look better than the old yellow deck. To cut the board I clamped a straight edge to the plank and ran my circular saw down the edges. Then I ran the board through the planer till I had all of the chatter marks cleaned up.
001-33.jpg

Last is a pic of the old Lickity. Once every thing is all media blasted, painted, and put back together I think that Birch deck will be right slick, Joe.
002-27.jpg

A few months back I picked up an old Lickity Split Log Splitter. The chasis is made up of a of angle iron and a wood deck. The angle is cracked where the axle goes through on both sides, and the wood deck is a little less than atractive. I have some heavier gauge angle and plan on making a new frame. Instead of using some 2X10 and painting it yellow for a new deck I decided to use some of the White Birch I milled up. Since I have plenty of angle I plan on extending the deck 10 or 12 inches to mount a battery for the new engine. The old engine was an eight hp Kohler pull start. The new engine is a 12 hp Kohler electric start off an old Cub Cadet. Since the Cub has a full electrical system I'm going to scavange the wiring and head lights and make a fold down light bar mounted to the back, for those early fall evenings. Here's a couple pics of the Birch and machine.

The White Birch right after I milled it.
002-24.jpg

I think several coats of Spar Urathane will look better than the old yellow deck. To cut the board I clamped a straight edge to the plank and ran my circular saw down the edges. Then I ran the board through the planer till I had all of the chatter marks cleaned up.
001-33.jpg

Last is a pic of the old Lickity. Once every thing is all media blasted, painted, and put back together I think that Birch deck will be right slick, Joe.
002-27.jpg

You'll have to post some pictures when your done.
jerry-

chain saw milled gazebo

I love looking at every ones work, just wanted to contribute to the post with a project i did last year. All of the wood was milled with a Granberg alaskan mill and 288xp.

Hickory Drum Sticks

Had a member Les-Or-More send me some Bitternut Hickory this past December. We don't have hickory here in CA, so he sent me a box.

Here are some pictures of the sticks I turned today. Les, thanks again!

jerry-

Picture of stick tip roughed out.
attachment.php

Stick in my old Montgomery Ward lathe, just put all new bearings in it and it works great! The motor is DC variable speed motor from a tread mill.

attachment.php

Sticks next to a piece of the bitternut wood. These pieces were just the right size to make a pair of sticks.

attachment.php

The sticks weight are right at 4 oz.

attachment.php

Here are the finished sticks sitting at my Leedy drum kit. They are patterned after a 5AL (Long) stick that I like when I play. I'll show them to the guys/gal in my band this week at practice.

attachment.php

[video=youtube_share;BrH1onu2YuM]http://youtu.be/BrH1onu2YuM[/video]

Someday I'm gonna make a big one. This was just a bit of an experiment, the blades were elm scrap cuttoffs from some table legs. Put it up on the old TV arial bracket.

Siding complete.

Still have to make the main entrance door, and I'm out of materials, so it may not get done this year. Still needs lots of wind bracing on the inside, still needs a stair to the loft, and I need to build shelves, racks, etc., to get it organized, so it'll drag on for perhaps another year.
attachment.php

I would like to see a seperate thread on the construction of this beautiful building! Love it!

Slab Art

I milled some thick slabs from a short pine log that was given to me and tried my hand at some Northwest Native style art. These are about 45" long x 21" wide.

normal_EagleTotem-1.jpg

normal_SeahawkTotem-1.jpg

I built this reloading bench out of a couple of ash logs i harvested, and then milled them on my BSM.

standard.jpg

It has no fasteners in it and doesn't flex at all! :)

This thread is really long, i hope i didn't already post this here, cause i can't remember for sure! lol

SR

Last edited:
My father pulled his Alaskan Mill out for me after it was in the attic for about 15 yrs, the first log we milled together was a Carpenter Ant infested Black Cherry. So for Fathers Day this year I made this coffee table out of it. There are wood dowels through it in some areas to strengthen it and the base is White Pine that was CSMed as well.
C360_2011-11-27-14-24-42.jpg

C360_2012-06-22-18-14-42.jpg
C360_2012-06-22-18-14-53.jpg
C360_2012-06-22-18-13-49.jpg
C360_2012-06-22-18-13-14.jpg
C360_2012-06-19-20-26-00.jpg
C360_2012-06-19-20-26-18.jpg

My father pulled his Alaskan Mill out for me after it was in the attic for about 15 yrs, the first log we milled together was a Carpenter Ant infested Black Cherry. So for Fathers Day this year I made this coffee table out of it. There are wood dowels through it in some areas to strengthen it and the base is White Pine that was CSMed as well.
C360_2011-11-27-14-24-42.jpg

C360_2012-06-22-18-14-42.jpg
C360_2012-06-22-18-14-53.jpg
C360_2012-06-22-18-13-49.jpg
C360_2012-06-22-18-13-14.jpg
C360_2012-06-19-20-26-00.jpg
C360_2012-06-19-20-26-18.jpg

that is very cool! great job!

cool,

had some pieces leaning against the wall out in the shed.

needed some shelves to put the 'maters on;

Latest posts

Back