What are you building with your milled wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabmaster

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm building a guitar with the ash i milled in my woods.I can't wait to here it sing. here's a pic of it so far.

The guitar looks great.
You have more talent than I do......

I am building rustic tables, outdoor tool sheds, and have cut many logs up for cabins.

Need to post more pics, but my camera's lens is broken.

Kevin

I can hear it already!! Looks good so far how was it bending the sides?? You must have alot of patience I bet it takes alot more skill to build a nice acoustic than a soildbody electric. Can't wait to see it all come together, what do you finish your acoustics with lacquer, shellac?? Keep us updated!! Happy New Year irishcountry

I haven't made too much yet as far as woodworking projects go; most of my milling has been structural so far. Recently my dad has been talking about making canoe paddles, and after buying him a book on the subject for Christmas and looking into it a bit more myself, I think I wouldn't mind it either. It looks fairly simple and straightforward, and also quite forgiving. It would make a nice relaxing project too, it's something you could take to the lake with you and just sit back with a couple hand tools and take it easy for the afternoon.

Other than that I'm going to be making myself some hand tools in the near future, some for the above purpose, so I've been saving up some nice smaller pieces of wood for that. On that note, does anybody have any good plans (and/or instructions) for some custom wood-bodied spokeshaves? I'd like to eventually make myself a 3-piece set of flat, convex, and concave bottoms. I have access to some pretty decent-sized pieces of brass block, about 1" X 2" X 4", so I'd like to fabricate brass soles for them if the machining isn't too difficult.

I also have some plans for a coffee/end table set with some Birch I have set aside, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to that.

I can hear it already!! Looks good so far how was it bending the sides?? You must have alot of patience I bet it takes alot more skill to build a nice acoustic than a soildbody electric. Can't wait to see it all come together, what do you finish your acoustics with lacquer, shellac?? Keep us updated!! Happy New Year irishcountry

The sides are .085 thick so they bend pretty good.Just have to go slow with heat.I'm useing nitro lacquer on this one.Acoustic take a little more skill and alot more time.Glue,wait,glue,wait,glue,wait.:dizzy: I can build an electric in 1/3rd the time.

I'm building a guitar with the ash i milled in my woods.I can't wait to here it sing. here's a pic of it so far.

Very nice so far slabmaster... building acoustical instruments is a woodworking challenge and usually a labor of love. Building one that looks good AND sounds good is yet another challenge. I know several good woodworkers who had a tough time doing that (myself included). As with many things, the devil is in the details. I know of few other projects as rewarding though that come from a woodshop. I'm more proud of the hammer dulcimer I made than just about anything else. An acoustical instrument is something that comes to life after all the hours you put into it. Congrats, keep us posted.

Thanks for all the replies! I will keep you all posted as asked.I should have some pictures of the neck soon.It will also be an ASH laminated neck.:)

Can't begin to compete with a guitar builder, but this is a little something I made for my wife for Christmas. It's a towel rack to be place in one of our bathrooms.

Christmas006.jpg

Christmas005.jpg

This is a picture of the log that the wood came from

Log002.jpg

Last edited:
I like that towel rack imbeachy... nice work. I also like that old John Deer. First thing I ever drove an A. Actually, I was too small for my feet to reach the brake on each of those big wheels, but I could steer it and work the hand clutch sitting between my Grandpas knees.

So was that rack something you make for her without her knowing or did she kindof "order" it from her woodworking husband? (I get a lot of the latter)

Imbeachy, very nice work. Your tractor looks very at home in that well kept farm. A gift that can't be bought - never nice again.

attachment.php

This is just a simple nic-nac shelf that I put together using spalted Alder.
The 2 cutting boards beside it are still a work in progress.
attachment.php

Simple shoe/boot rack using cherry.
attachment.php

Every grand kid needs a set of blocks.

I am working on a Black walnut display case for a museum that is also close to being finished.

LOVE that spalted knick knack shelf Backwoods... beautiful wood.

Curious what kind of cherry that boot rack is? Doesn't look like any of the 2-3 species of cherry we have here on the east coast.

Woodshop. That was a surprise, she didn't order it, couldn't think of anything else to make at the time.

Backwoods. I like that boot and shoe rack. I have some short cherry that I have been trying to think of how to use. That might be the ticket.

Team,

Just finished this Walnut table today it was a fun project.

Non steamed, Air dried lumber that I milled what a nice feeling...

See pics attached.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Logs to lumber and beyond

That is a nice looking table. I especially like your center column/spindle. I assume you had to hand carve that?

Last edited:
One nice table I used to not care for walnut always seemed too dark but when you see a peice like that that is showing all the grain patterns of "real" wood that is what walnut should look like not the dark faux art van stuff!! Love it great job That will be around for a long time!!

Latest posts

Back