What Are You Guys Doin' This Longest Day of the Year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
It's a good day to stay up I think. Skidded out these two funky stems with the ATV and I'm stayin up till their both peeled.
Gypo

burls.jpg

Well its the shortest day down here so sun up 7 30am+ dark at 5 30pm Er?? whats that weird growth limb section what kinda a tree and how you think it formed.

Ya, it's 12:25 am and still light out. They are burled spruce. Nobody knows what causes them, but I think the're caused when the aliens landed and pissed on the trees! lol
Gypo

Ta cool, Alien green wizz reminds me of a joke now. How can you tell the front of tree from the back of a tree?

You,ll always take ya piss at the back of the tree eh.
Lol, reminds me of this joke.

Smart Logger
UESDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2009
Smart Logger - Funny Newfie Joke
Newfie decides to travel across Canada to see the Pacific Ocean. When he gets to Nanaimo, he likes the place so much that he decides to stay. But first he must find a job.

He walks into the MacMillan-Bloedel office and fills out an application as an 'experienced' logger. It's his lucky day. They just happen to be looking for someone. But first, the bush foreman takes him for a ride in the bush in the company pickup truck to see how much he knows. The foreman stops the truck on the side of the road and points at a tree.

"See that tree over there? I want you to tell me what species it is and how many board feet of lumber it contains."
The Newfie promptly answers, "It's a Sitka spruce and contains 383 board feet of lumber."

The foreman is impressed. He puts the truck in motion and stops again about a mile down the road. He points at another tree through the passenger door window. and asks the same question. This time, it's a bigger tree of a different class.
"It's a Douglas fir and has 690 board feet," says the Newfie.

Now the foreman is really impressed. The Newfie has answered quickly and got the answers right without even using a calculator! One more test. They drive a little farther down the road, and the foreman stops again. This time, he points across the road through his driver side window.
"And what about that one?"
Before the foreman finishes pointing, the Newfie says, "A cedar, 242 board feet."

The foreman spins the truck around and heads back to the office. He's a little ticked off because he thinks that the Newfie is smarter than he. As they near the office, the foreman stops the truck and asks the Newfie to step outside.

He hands him a piece of chalk and tells him, "See that tree over there. I want you to mark an X on the front of that tree."
The foreman thinks to himself, "Idiot! How does he know which is the front of the tree?"

When the Newfie reaches the tree, he goes around it in a circle while looking at the ground. He then reaches up and places a white X on the trunk. He runs back to the foreman and hands him the chalk.
"That is the front of the tree," the Newfie states.

The foreman laughs to himself and asks sarcastically, "How in the world do you know that's the front of the tree?"

The Newfie looks down at this feet, while moving the toe of his left boot clockwise in the gravel, replies, "Cuz someone took a crap behind it."

He got the job...

That type of growth must have a something to do with the climate, I saw a lot of it out that way last year. Seems like a lot of stores and shops like to use it for posts along the front of their buildings.
Pioneerguy600

Changin' the ruined tire which blew out Saturday at 70 mph on the right front of my little S-10 while I was driving home from Santa Fe Farmers' Market in the 95-degree afternoon. Amazin' how these little fuel-efficient trucks buck and romp when they blow a tire at speed...

Gettin' fresh honey supers loaded and going to the Rosebud bee yard to put them on and take off full ones for extractin' tomorrow.

Hopin' that the box will be in the post office today with the good clutch cover, big clutch washer and reverse-thread nut from Lee in Texas so I can put them on the shxtl 076 a neighbor gave me with a big hole in the clutch cover where someone revved it real good without the washer and nut in place and flang the drum and shoes assembly off into the pasture... With those parts, the monstrous old beastie will be ready to go millin' again... and I'll be lookin' for some idjit who wants it and has some good antique trade goods.

Gettin' the last of the chile plants set out... yellar banana, orange mini-bells and green jalapenos for picklin' in wide-mouth pint jars later this summer. I use apple cider vinegar with a touch of honey for picklin'... sweet & mildly hot and eat 'em outta the jar... The colors make a pretty eyefull when packed in the jar... county fair blue ribbon stuff...

In the cool of the evening (if fallin' off from 97-degrees to 85 can be called cool), transplanted some elderberry and chokecherry bushes which have been in 3-gallon buckets too long into the new plot north of the garden... after I spread last Winter's wood ashes around some... they love acid soil...

Re-packin' the wheel bearing on the S-10 and the tandem-axle trailer I bought from the local electric co-op for $500... a great trailer and four brand new tires on it, to boot!

Are them spruce bolls solid wood all the way through? If so, they'd make great turnin' material for guys who make bowls on lathes...

Last edited:
Those are some nice pics!

I managed to catch up on some sleep this morning and am lazing around right now.

However, in the interest of contributing to the betterment of mankind I believe that I will spend the rest of the day productively by undertaking a study of how the fish are biting in my area. :D

:cheers:

I'm sitting here, on the day I arrived on this earth, trying to work . My wife has a surprise for me this evening. I'm guessing it'll be going to town to meet friends for a birthday supper.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back