what are you paying for synthetic 2 stroke oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildbio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been using Stihl Ultra which is pricey (but good). Just wondering what other options are out there for synthetics at or below the same price....
an interesting thing about the stihl ultra is that they say it's great for their new pre-mix 4-stroke engines...but no mention of 2-stroke (even though it's what many of us are using in 2 strokes). Husky (and Stihl) also have synthetic blends (Husky has no full synthetic) which makes me wonder if they're actually recommending the syn blend for a reason (in 2-strokes)?
Thoughts?

Last edited:
If you purchase it by the case your dealer should give you a discount so that it works out to be the same as per bottle for the regular stuff. Note as of Jan .1st there was a price increase on all oil.

I just bought a six-pack of Stihl Ultra to mix 1 gallon at 50:1. I guess they're 2.6 oz each. They were 12.50 at the dealer. So about $2.08 per bottle.

Matt

For now any way, Stihl Ultra

6 pak, 1 gal mix $10

6 pak, 2.5 gal mix $16 one dealer, $20 at another.

Dealer said Stihl bar oil, going up to $8 per gal.
just over a year ago paid $5.50 a gal. I only have
8 gallons left of that. :cry:

I had to special order a case of Ultra thru the closest dealer here because after calling around 30 mile radius none were a stocking. Every one of them told me they didnt have it because all the tree companys along with private were to cheap to buy it. No discounts on 6 packs. Have had to wait as the guy I deal with only orders a minimum 100 case lot. 3 mo. later should see it next week.

Between 7.00 and 8.00 a quart for Mobil 2-T. Lately it's been $7.38 pretty much every time.

That reminds me I need to pick up another case or two..... Thanks

I saw Stihl Ultra today.
$2.19/ 2.6 oz. bottle.
Mid-grade $1.99, and Dino oil was $1.79
Interesting sales poster regarding lack of engine deposits using the ultra...must be good stuff. MY Jonsered dealer normally gets $5.99/6-pack of your choice Jonny or Echo 2.6 oz. I don't buy the little bottles of 50:1 mix; I think you're paying a big price for packaging and convenience. Most dealers here also sell something in pints qts or gallons; Stihl ultra pints were $8, still spendy.
Edit that: Echo and Jonny oil are 10.99/6

I have been seeing Citgo's semisynth. oil ( chainsaw and lawn equipment on label) at 2.39 qt. or $ 8.99 gallon. Farm store in town has had the Citgo Snomo-labeled stuff at 8.69...same product. I have tried others...Mobil MX2T: $3.69/pint, Quaker State full synth $4.50/ qt, a local refinery's full-synth at $7. qt...good stuff, but it has a wierd smell) and the same local refinery's semi-synth sno-mo at about $3 a quart. Farm store had the local refinerery's semi-synth oil on sale (in a bottle with a moped on the label that didn't sell) for $23/case of 12 qts.

You can guess what I'm using.

I lucked into a 5-gallon pail of Bombardier snomo/seadoo oil at an auction once for $10. It took years to use it up, and I used it in everything.

Last edited:
I just bought a bottle of Husqvarna oil that mixes 2.5 gal. at 50:1 for $1.85

on edit, I didn't read the title well. I think I what I bought was not synthetic. sorry

Last edited:
$3.33 for 6.4 oz of Stihl ultra

-Switched to-

$1+ for bailey's synthetic (anyone tried it yet?)

Last edited:
I just bought a six-pack of Stihl Ultra to mix 1 gallon at 50:1. I guess they're 2.6 oz each. They were 12.50 at the dealer. So about $2.08 per bottle.

Matt

that's the going rate for the same product/packaging size in Bozeman, MT @ the Stihl dealer. I'm heading into town this weekend and will price other sizes and brands then report back.
Some good reports so far.....keep em coming. If you think you have a good thing going maybe mention if your willing to steer folks in the right direction....in a PM(?)

I just bought a bottle of Husqvarna oil that mixes 2.5 gal. at 50:1 for $1.85

on edit, I didn't read the title well. I think I what I bought was not synthetic. sorry
That does sound like a pure dino price but no problem. I am interested (and thought the membership might be as well) in the going rate for synthetic and synthetic blends in the different parts of the country/from different sources.

Last edited:
$9.99 locally for a six-pack of the 2.6oz Ultra. This shop also sells the Husky XP synthetic, but no clue on the price. The last jug of Stihl bar oil I bought was $8.99/gl.

Stihl Ultra on the shelf, the one gal mix is 1.96 for one, 11.00 for a six pack, and 86.00 for a 48 pack.
The 2 gal mix is 2.92 for one, 16.00 for a six pack, and 128.00 for a 48 pack.
:greenchainsaw:

I buy AMSOIL Interceptor FULL Synthetic for $15 a gallon. I have 15 gallons of it in my garage now! :)

Back