what are your favorite oregon grinder sharpening angles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
Reaction score
ive got an 511ax grinder for my round chisel chain ,been experimenting with angles right now im 50 /30 and 10 on bottom slide , anyone have any they have had good luck with ? seems like shape of the wheel changes all the angles also ,better luck all round like a file or flatten top edge a little for more chisel cut ?

im going with 60/30 on a northern grinder (same thing) and it works well,,,, just got a new oregon wheel yesterday and it is squared on the edge do i have to dress it or what:confused: sorry im new to grinding

60/30/10 on chisel, 60/30/0 on semi. Sometimes I'll go 55/25 with a raker depth of 25 on the first grind on a new chain that's been banged up, just to try to get a bit more life out of it.

Yes, you need to dress the wheel. There is a little plastic gauge that came with the grinder that has the profiles on it, and a small carborundum dressing block to dress it with. Grind it to shape and you're in business. Don't forget to check the shape every couple of chains and adjust when necessary. Oh, and get a better dressing block ASAP. I think they're about 5 bucks anywhere Oregon parts are sold.

I use two type of chains exclusively: Stihl RSF (clean wood) & RMF (dirty condition). RMF being semi-chisel I have been using 60 degree top angle, 35 degree vise angle & 0 degree (no tilt). For RSF full chisel I used 60 top/25 vise with 10 degree tilt.

I've gone thru few trial & error stages in the beginning & these settings works best for me.

You mentioned the shape of your wheel changes on you, was the grinding wheel "dressed" properly ? Keep in mind on the 511AX grinder you use the 3/16 wheel on all 3/8 pitch chains except for the 3/8 "low profile" chains where you'll need to use the 1/8 wheel, which you also use on the .325 pitch chains.

IMO 511AX is a great grinder for the money but owner's manual lacks a crucial piece of instruction on determining the "master cutter" before sharpening any chain. Try down load Stihl's USG owner manual & in it there's a page illustrating how to find the "master cutter" which will need to be sharpened first.

Hope these info helps. Feel free to post more questions. It was a little bit of learning curve for me but the end results are very satisfying, once I mastered chain sharpening with an electric grinder I've since kicked myself many times over for wasting all that money at a shop with inconsistant results which translated to inconsistant cutting = wasted time.

ive got an 511ax grinder for my round chisel chain ,been experimenting with angles right now im 50 /30 and 10 on bottom slide , anyone have any they have had good luck with ? seems like shape of the wheel changes all the angles also ,better luck all round like a file or flatten top edge a little for more chisel cut ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back