What bar for stumpin'?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As one who actually USES a hard nose bar, I think I have 3 different bars, I will say they definately have a place. I prefer a hardnose in sandy gritty cutting conditions since it will last much longer than any sprocket nose bar. A sprocket nose will pick up grit, slow down the chain and cause the bar chain and saw to heat up. The tip will split way before it should and stop the entire job. On the other hand I can leave the hardnose bar on the saw and hardly notice a change between it and a sprocket nose when cutting "regular" wood.

The hardnose bar is another tool in the toolbox. Use it when you need to.

My buddy who owns a saw shop down in TN says that most of the loggers down there use hard nose bars. They claim its harder to kick the chain off a hardnose bar vs the roller nose. I don't have any experience with hardnose bars so I was curious if you thought this was the case? And also what other drawbacks do you see between a hardnose vs a rollernose?

The hardnose bar is another tool in the toolbox. Use it when you need to.

I like hard nose for the same reasons. If I am pushing my bar length limit in proportion to the power of the saw I like to stay with a sprocket tip otherwise I find when the sprocket on the bar tip wears down it throws the chain much easier and at a point becomes a nuicence especially when limbing in brushy conditions such as pin oak or cutting underbrush.
Hardnose, its also easier to keep the rails uniform the entire length of the bar when dressing it. I would say I usually get considerably longer bar life also.
They don,t seem any harder to lubricate to me.

Those Tsumura bars are the real thing. We ran some of those GB bars that Bailey's was selling cheap, but the rails wallowed out real quick. We have been running Tsumura bars with .404 chipper chain for two or three months now and they seem to hold up nicely, and the boys are cutting dirty logs all day behind the D6.

Latest posts

Back