What big bars are you working ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumnuts

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Australia / Victoria / Mornington Peninsula
I'm not using really big bars .Mainly 25 and 36'' .Occasionally 42'' .
Was offered a hard nose NOS Stihl 60" for $200.Feel a bit 'iffy' about the hard nose though.
Rang a local dealer >His price on 60" sprocket $480.Not sure if it was price for Stihl or GB - said 'dam mate that's hefty'.
" Maybe you could get me the price on a 50''."Should be $100 less".
Rather buy 100' role of chain .$ 480 - crikey !!!
That 60" hard nose NOS has me wondering - can it be chopped to cater for a
roller or sprocket ? ANYONE DONE IT ?

- Graeme

I use GB and Cannon.

That's a good price but I wouldn't want to mill with a hard nose that long. You could mount a helper handle with a idler sprocket though. I have a 56" bar set up this way and it works well.

For cross cutting the hard nose would work just fine. I've never seen a bar chopped and converted but I'm sure it's been done. You would probably have to to it your self to be cost effective though.

I use GB and Cannon.

That's a good price but I wouldn't want to mill with a hard nose that long. You could mount a helper handle with a idler sprocket though. I have a 56" bar set up this way and it works well.

For cross cutting the hard nose would work just fine. I've never seen a bar chopped and converted but I'm sure it's been done. You would probably have to to it your self to be cost effective though.

+1 on the helper handle. It also allows you to tension the chain from the handle instead of the saw if you're not fortunate enough to have a side access tensioner on your saw.

I use GB and Cannon.

Aggie/Dusty, can you show us a picture of the helper handle setup?

Thanks

Last edited:
I use GB and Cannon.

GREAT .Thanks guys.Admit was totally ignorant of that angle.
The NOS + helper might be the way to go then.

Hey Bob do I imagine more mods goin on in your head LOL / just jokin

One more picture of the bar without the handle so you can see how the bar was prepped at the factory.View attachment 71885 Both the bar and HH are sold by Granberg. The bar is a universal mount that fits both my 395 and 084.

Last edited:
That 60" hard nose NOS has me wondering - can it be chopped to cater for a
roller or sprocket ? ANYONE DONE IT ?
- Graeme

Yup. I had my 60" retipped to a sprocket. Only problem is you are on the other side of the planet and shipping would probably trash any savings you would gain over buying a new sprocket tip bar.

I sent mine here. http://www.chainbar.com/

IIRC, it cost me about $70.00 +shipping, it's been a few years since mine was done.

Ed

Yup. I had my 60" retipped to a sprocket. Only problem is you are on the other side of the planet and shipping would probably trash any savings you would gain over buying a new sprocket tip bar.

I sent mine here. http://www.chainbar.com/

IIRC, it cost me about $70.00 +shipping, it's been a few years since mine was done.

Ed

Thanks Ed - Believe GB might be able to do it here.Just got off the phone to their rep whose going to look into for me.Might end up saving 150.
Is GB an Aussy company still ? Thought they sold out to you guys.We still
produce here though.
Otherwise back to the helper handle angle.
- Graeme

Latest posts

Back