What brought ya'll here??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always was a gearhead, so when I bought my first house it had a fireplace. Naturally I needed a chainsaw. Thats where the 026 Pro came from. I started wondering what types of wood was best to burn, and methods to season them. I also wondered what saw would be a good backup for my 026. So, by doing the usual internet search I found this site. I cant quite remember where chainsaws went from a necessary tool to an obsessive hobby. But, as my wife says, its better than a cocaine habit...:laugh:

Hurricane Isabel got me into my first chain saw. I ain't got no addiction or nuthin like most folks here, I just look at my saws as being just mere tools needed to perform a job. Thats all. This forum has helped me be a better operator of this equipment.

Moved out on my own, needed a saw to cut my own firewood.

Lookin' for some advice, received plenty. I've always had a facination about logging, chainsaws too... so I stuck around. Well won't you know it if I stayed around long enough to think I needed something a bit bigger. Then after that I needed something bigger Stihl!

:ices_rofl:

Anyways, sometimes I wish I was a logger, not a farmer. But Im not, so I'll just play with my saws, cut myself some firewood and enjoy that.

That was how I got into the OPE scene... while growing up, my dad was a caretaker on a small estate in MA... we had all the cool toys to play with. I never really considered that other (citified) folks might not have grown up around saws, chippers, tillers, trimmers, finish mowers, brush-hogs, clearing saws etc...

It's funny that between my saws,the skid loader,the grapple truck and the chippers and dump trucks,my six year old son doesn't pay them hardly any attention...He's not even interested in my race bikes...But when he has a friend over,they think we are the coolest family on the planet and usually they don't want to go back home.

I was researching buying a new saw. I was looking at the ms 390, and wanted to make sure I got a good saw. Every search led me here, and everything I read here said not to buy it. I bought it, it was all down hill from there...........................:monkey:

I was researching buying a new saw. I was looking at the ms 390, and wanted to make sure I got a good saw. Every search led me here, and everything I read here said not to buy it. I bought it, it was all down hill from there...........................:monkey:

Ain't nothin' wrong with a 390...Til' you run a 362.:D

Have heated my home with wood since 1974 also cut wood for grandparents and inlaws at various times since.Most wood I cut was in 1983 cut 75 truck loads approx. 30 plus cords. In 1983 my neighbor wanted to log some of his farm and he and I cut topped and hauled with pickups and trailers 14,000 bd.ft of lumber.With which he put an addition on his barn and I used my half to reside part of my barn then used some of it when building my own home in 1985 made the kitchen cabinets out of red oak even the shelves are solid oak.Since then have used some of the lumber to make Christmas presents out of.Am almost out of wood from that and started looking for a way to get more since the saw mill closed. Found this site when reserching the CSM.Since last Spring have bought a 17" resaw bandsaw from Grizzly,A 30" Alaskan mill,A Stihl 045 built a set of saw horses that the plans came from A.S. set my 8' ext ladder up to use for guide rails for Alaskan mill and put a head ache rack with 2 chainsaw scabbords on my Chevy truck and am in the prossess of building a 24" CSM it is cut out will start welding toworrow.Milled about 30' of red oak log and 28' of eastern red ceder some white oak, walnut,osage orange,red elm And some ash.All with the help of my freinds from the Arborist Site.My store of lumber for wood working is looking good and have even started a few small w.w progects.thanks for all of the help.:clap:

This has prolly been said...

I got here because every friggin' time I googled something about chainsaws this "annoying" site kept coming up near the top of the results.

I finally got sucked into reading an entire thread and haven't left since. Now I'm poor!:(

I am greatly influnced by my DAD, when I was a kid, my nose was always within a inch of what he was doing, and that included running a chainsaw, when I heard it I went running to the noise(wich I still do to this date):blush:
I still remember the first time he let me use the chainsaw, I can remember everything about it, had to be about 18years ago now, I think I was about 12, in fact I have that piticular chainsaw now, and I still use it, kinda sentemental I guess. I just always had a fasination about anything mechanical espicially power tools and cars. I then got older(teenager), didn't use chainsaws for quite a while until a few years ago, when we bought our second house and put in a wood stove, and a guy from work burned wood, and he got me back into it. Now everybody I know think I m nuts that I cut so much wood, and have too many saws. Man I think they are nuts for thinking I have too many saws, since you can't have too many right???

I found this site by searching for info on one of my saws.

Thanks for this great site.

Will

yeah but lookie what you learned how to do!!!

I got here because every friggin' time I googled something about chainsaws this "annoying" site kept coming up near the top of the results.

I finally got sucked into reading an entire thread and haven't left since. Now I'm poor!:(

Great job on the 361 muffler BTW,,,,,, I got here after I had installed my first big bore kit on my 460 mag,,, and I had bought a modded muller off of Sleazy Bay,,, the seller reccomended this site to me and now I am STUCK LIKE CHUCK ever since
:rock: :rock: :rock: If a person likes to piddle with saws,,,, It doesn't get any better than THIS PLACE FREAKING ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

The title of this thread is a little different than why one loves chainsaws,
it asks, "Why are you here, what brought you here".

This site, originally populated by mild mannered arboristes, exploded
when John Lambert and Walt Galer left, "that other site", and ended up here.

Lambert toyed with a couple of his own forums, but that is not his style,
and it would require work to keep it going, which has little to offer, monetarily.

He prefers a site he can come and go as he pleases, stir up some trouble,
and leave, pop in and out.

When he and Galer left that other site, many followed.

Galer left here after his "racing chain" fiasco, do a search if you are curious.

Llammabert, well who knows about him.
He used to wait until I got offline at 3:00 a.m., to play "Guess what saw
is this?" over the phone, he would make it easy for me, picking a unique sounding saw, then we would talk until 5:00.

There were some good posts then, and a lot of fun. Babcock would call me too, shame it is hard to scare these threads back up.

I had actually been here before the exodus of lunatics and hotsaw nuts
arrived, but this site did not really take off until they got here.

And of course, Darin had troubles handling this bunch, to keep the
peace without a nuclear meltdown, you don't want to put out the fire,
but on the other hand, you do not want kaos.

A little kaos is good for the soul, now and again though............................

To be more precise, Galer left after his posts with "Dagger". Which if you
do a search there, you will find some good reading

I came here to find out about a "saw builder" that had my saws for about 5-6 months, and would not return them. Upon arrival here I found a nice little thread about him and his business ethics and practices. I found out he had been "dropped" from the sponsors "list" or "page". I posted of my situation with him. I waited one week and emailed him and within 2 weeks I had my saws.

Thank you,

Sam

As many others ,it started out an innocent computer search about chainsaws.I had a small Echo at the time to be used to trim up some trees up north of us when we were supposed to grab some land.That didnt pan out,so my Little saw sat for a while.Then we moved up in a rural part of our state,and we bought a fireplace insert for heating .Well that little Echo didnt really cut it when I sought more wood to feed the insert,so we needed a bigger saw.It goes on from there,now we go around to our friends houses,our neighbors,whereever we can get trees.and the saw ensemble grew to meet the egos,demands,and whatever else i can think of for cutting.Actually I look at it as therapy for me to be in the woods with my tools , saws ,in the fresh air,dropping trees for fuel for our house and to help neighbors.;)

As many others ,it started out an innocent computer search about chainsaws.I had a small Echo at the time to be used to trim up some trees up north of us when we were supposed to grab some land.That didnt pan out,so my Little saw sat for a while.Then we moved up in a rural part of our state,and we bought a fireplace insert for heating .Well that little Echo didnt really cut it when I sought more wood to feed the insert,so we needed a bigger saw.It goes on from there,now we go around to our friends houses,our neighbors,whereever we can get trees.and the saw ensemble grew to meet the egos,demands,and whatever else i can think of for cutting.Actually I look at it as therapy for me to be in the woods with my tools , saws ,in the fresh air,dropping trees for fuel for our house and to help neighbors.;)
there is a great many people in here i'll bet for the same reason, me for one. also but i kinda went head over heels about it:greenchainsaw: never looked back though:clap:keep up the therapy :cheers:

The title of this thread is a little different than why one loves chainsaws,
it asks, "Why are you here, what brought you here".

This site, originally populated by mild mannered arboristes, exploded
when John Lambert and Walt Galer left, "that other site", and ended up here.

Lambert toyed with a couple of his own forums, but that is not his style,
and it would require work to keep it going, which has little to offer, monetarily.

He prefers a site he can come and go as he pleases, stir up some trouble,
and leave, pop in and out.

When he and Galer left that other site, many followed.

Galer left here after his "racing chain" fiasco, do a search if you are curious.

Llammabert, well who knows about him.
He used to wait until I got offline at 3:00 a.m., to play "Guess what saw
is this?" over the phone, he would make it easy for me, picking a unique sounding saw, then we would talk until 5:00.

There were some good posts then, and a lot of fun. Babcock would call me too, shame it is hard to scare these threads back up.

I had actually been here before the exodus of lunatics and hotsaw nuts
arrived, but this site did not really take off until they got here.

And of course, Darin had troubles handling this bunch, to keep the
peace without a nuclear meltdown, you don't want to put out the fire,
but on the other hand, you do not want kaos.

A little kaos is good for the soul, now and again though............................

Ya, I've been back there in the archives. I highly recommend it. Things did seem a lot more buddy buddy with you guys. Like you knew each other from somewhere other than the site.

Back