What can you tell me about a 55 husqvarna Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Reaction score
Friend of mine just asked me if I wanted to buy his 55 Rancher for $50. Said it needed my love. I am guessing it doesn't run or run right but hey for $50 if all it needs is a carb kit or something then what the heck. He said he thinks it was purchased in 2004.
I am a Stihl guy and have never even held a husqvarna. Doesn't mean I won't I just know nothing about them. Anybody have some specs or experience? Values?
Thanks in advance.

I have a couple, one I bought and another I traded a shotgun for and have used both to cut a lot of firewood. Pull the muffler before buying, if it is not scored and the saw looks good I would grab it.

They make a good firewood saw. Pretty versatile and very rebuildable. Tons of parts and aftermarket stuff available. I would take the muffler off and look at the piston before laying down any money. $50 is good if the p/c checks out. If the engine is toast, I would offer less.

Been reading a bit and this was replaced by the 455 correct?
50 CC saw. Sort of along the line of a Stihl 029 or smaller? Bigger?

great little saws.i have a 51 that i turned into a 55 with a meteor piston and cylinder kit.done a muffler mod and cleaned up the ports a little.that little thing will throw some shavings now.was out cutting an 028 super the other day.buy it.if you dont like it i'll send you your money back+ beer money and shipping. ;)

+1 on the 55.

Great little saw that is easy to work on. The only downside IMHO is the plastic carb mount/bulkhead. I like the older saws that had the carb that bolted to the cylinder. That said I wouldn't turn one down for $50 as long as the P/C was in good shape.

I have 2 55's as well. I wouldn't turn it down for $50 if it looks good. Even if the P&C are bad the saw would bring $50 in parts easily.
The 55 was my only saw for many years and it heated my home well. Then I found this site...

I agree with the other comments about the 55 Rancher being a good saw and easy to work on. I've worked on mine enough to know. That comment about the plastic carb mount is probably the most important one after checking to make sure the piston isn't scored. It is easy to strip the screws that hold the carb in place and if that happens the saw will go lean and the piston will be toast. But if the piston isn't scored all is probably well except for the need for a carb rebuild, as you said. I have both a 55 and a MS290; both are about 55 cc's. The 290 has more low end grunt, but the 55 is lighter, or at least feels it to me, and I prefer using it for most firewood cutting work. Of the two, the 55 is far easier to work on, night and day to the Stihl.

John

Mine i got for free with spark issues but got it worked out in short order. It is a good little saw for what it is but if your used to using a bigger saw it will make you feel deprived of power. I just can't use mine for firewood. I tried but i just can't do it. Every new saw i try doing firewood is that way though. I always turn back to my 365. For $50 you can't go wrong. Even if it needed p/c the aftermarket ones are more then affordable and you'd still come out on top. I have never had any issues on mine but have worked on a few with issues. In my opinion these saws are tuned way to lean from the factory. There are many around here where i'm from that are pretty well new but are already toast. Could even be that rediculous design of an intake. I've rebuilt alot of toast ones with the aftermarket chinese garbage on ebay. Just richen up the mixture a bit and the ones i did rebuild are still running and have been for longer then the first time around with the oem p/c.

Thanks forall the replies.
Can you tell me what tools to take with me to pop the muffler off to ck the piston?
My Stihls take the torx never played with a husqvarna before.

Thanks forall the replies.
Can you tell me what tools to take with me to pop the muffler off to ck the piston?
My Stihls take the torx never played with a husqvarna before.

Should be 2 8mm nuts and one hex head for the support bracket. Can't remember the size of the hex head. All i know is i have one on hand. I know a 5/32 hex head will work but can't remember the metric size. Maybe 5mm?

I know some guys on here will burn me for this but if that saw feels like it has decent compression just by pulling the starter rope i'd get it anyways. Even if that piston is lightly scored it should still run with decent compression. I've seen all kinds of 2100's with evil compression but heavily scored exhaust side of the piston and they still run. I just richen them up and they usually last. I know alot of guys won't like that but if yer tight on cash you gotta do what you gotta do. For $50 even if it gets you a couple loads of wood you did good. The more the better though. He's yer buddy. Offer him a case of beer for it then sit there drinking it with him:laugh:

Should be 2 8mm nuts and one hex head for the support bracket. Can't remember the size of the hex head. All i know is i have one on hand. I know a 5/32 hex head will work but can't remember the metric size. Maybe 5mm?

Got it thanks! I'll just take my 1/4" mini socket set.

There is an allen screw on the muffler bracket that attaches it to the housing via the felling dog. It is either 4 or 5mm. Check the serial number on the saw, if the first two digits are between 98 and 01, look at the cylinder just over the chain brake/side cover, if there are +++++ markings on the cyl. and the piston is good, you've got a real winner! That means it is a closed port. I have 4
55's here, they are all nice saws, but the closed port version makes exceptional power.

Got it thanks! I'll just take my 1/4" mini socket set.

Just so you know in case you didn't get it. I worded it wrong. It should be a hex head but one you need a hex screwdriver bit for. You will need more then just sockets. 8mm socket and the hex bit will get'er done.

I got one of the babies out of a dumpster, they have good power, run well and even if the piston is scored they will run semi well, just watch out carbon build up is real bad on these saws, the 3 I've owned all had light carbon scoring but they run well none the less.

Latest posts

Back