What caused this crack?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
attachment.php
attachment.php
This was the second red oak I took down today and after it hit the ground I noticed the big crack.It looked to be a solid tree,it was still alive.The crack went from the rear handle of one saw to the other saws rear handle.I think know what did it but thought someone else might have an idea.Live red oaks never crack like that on me.

This is kind of like looking at the frozen oak round the right way and it splits just like you wanted it to. Frozen wood will run up pretty quick. Buddy had a cherry barber on him today just because it was about 8 out and everything was frozen. Hit hard and it will split on a point of focused impact force, notice the gap under it.

It was obviously caused by them overweight Huskies sitting on it.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Not sure what the cause is, but if that was gonna be a saw log, I'd be ticked. If it's just firewood, it's pre-split for ya!

This is kind of like looking at the frozen oak round the right way and it splits just like you wanted it to. Frozen wood will run up pretty quick. Buddy had a cherry barber on him today just because it was about 8 out and everything was frozen. Hit hard and it will split on a point of focused impact force, notice the gap under it.
The gap helped it but was not the reason it split the way it did.

It was obviously caused by them overweight Huskies sitting on it.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Not sure what the cause is, but if that was gonna be a saw log, I'd be ticked. If it's just firewood, it's pre-split for ya!
I don't think it was from the weight seeing that both of them have had weight taken off the cylinders and the base gaskets removed:clap: I wish I had a mill but seeing I don't it is all firewood.

I can tell you why

Physics.

Mass=force x weight x variables

So as the mass of a tree is standing at 180 degrees to a perpindicular plane which is the ground the moving force constant (1.80354) is applied to Shalens law of gravitational pull toward an inanimate object. Things dont fall they are pushed. Remember earth is spinning at 30000 miles an hour give or take and thats what keeps us down among other things. SO given the height and witdth of the tree to equal a mass of the tree in relation once again to the perpindicular plane of said property (again a constant with changing variable to the law of gravitational pull (56.22442/724y). As well the absorption rate absorption rate as opposed to adsorption rate, the amount the perpindiucular plane will give if you will, is in relation to its ability to absorb a force.

So 100 ft tree
742y

looks like this in an equation

100x1.80354/56.22442x742
--------------------------
y

=2380.1520406969071446179435910588
---------------------------------------
y

Now why is tricky. Its the variable. So taken into account rot, wind and all the others a I have formulate somewhere roughly the number 85.98287

So lets go ahead and enter that number shall we?

-------------------------------------

gives us the number 27.681700328180568345973373429601

Which is why the tree split where it did. About 27 feet from the stump. Simple.

The other method is

Take a pencil. Shake it up and down slightly in your hand between thumb and finger. It appears to bend. That is why your tree split.

attachment.php
Something been living in that tree?
volks-man was close.There was something living in it.It was a squirrels nest in it.When I started cutting close to it one small one came out running and went up a nearby tree,I started cutting more and one fell on the ground and wasn't moving so I put it out of it's pain.I started cutting some more and another small one came running out and ran to a nearby tree.
attachment.php

I guess I was wrong. Not always are phsics questions able to take in "live variables" such as squirrels, chipmunks, three toed sloths.

Latest posts

Back