What causes caramel coloring inside a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed caramel coloring on the pistons near the rings on a couple older saws and the same color on a connecting rod on another saw I recently worked on. Is this from old mix, running rich, getting hot, or something else?

Mix in some SeaFoam from your local NAPA. Another good product, but hideously expensive, is Yamaha Ringfree. Clear that varnish right up.

I would just follow the directions. The Yamaha is specifically made for 2-stroke, but SeaFoam has excellent instructions on the can.

Will either of those products remove carbon buildup on the bottom of pistons & inside transfer ports?

Will either of those products remove carbon buildup on the bottom of pistons & inside transfer ports?

If you are getting carbon buildup on the underside of pistons you are running close to the line. Carbon in the transfers? hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........?

This is in regard to an old IEL saw i'm restoring from the '50's. it's from the 12:1 ratio days, also oil quality probably varied quite a bit back then, I have one that's pretty clean, and another is really caked up with black deposits.

Last edited:
This is in regard to an old IEL saw i'm restoring from the '50's. it's from the 12:1 ratio days, also oil quality probably varied quite a bit back then, I have one that's pretty clean, and another is really caked up with black deposits.

Yep Artie,

I'd say your right about the oil and more so quantity used in the mix. Allot of guys always seem to mix in a bit more oil than called for. I had my neighbor's saw apart and it was gunked up from too much oil. He just laughed and said all the old timers did it too keep the blackflies away. :cheers:

Seafoam works amazingly. I use it in all my cars and trucks for the car lot. I also use it in my saws and my friends saws. Basically mix it for cleaning into your gas and run it as you normally would. I believe it's 2 oz per gallon? The bottle will say for sure but it'll work great and keep things running a long time.

Seafoam works amazingly. I use it in all my cars and trucks for the car lot. I also use it in my saws and my friends saws. Basically mix it for cleaning into your gas and run it as you normally would. I believe it's 2 oz per gallon? The bottle will say for sure but it'll work great and keep things running a long time.

Where do you get seafoam? I have never seen it.

b-12 chemtool will clean everything up too and its 3 dollars a can vs 6. the only thing is the smell is alot stronger and keep it away from gaskets if its unmixed.

Back