What Causes this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilMcWoody

Recharging Battery
Reaction score
I've seen a little smoke after some cuts, and I'd say the saw is running kinda hot (though as a newb I don't have a frame of reference).

Seems like an oily substance is leaking over the top of the muffler (see photo-right side of muffler top, and getting burnt, and also dripping down to the case, by the looks of it.

Not sure why this would be? Any suggestions welcome.

(Saw is still new, just a few months old, hasn't cut more than a 1/2 cord of hardwood.)

MufflerOilBlk_160301.jpg

MS 250C

Last edited:
I have a Stihl just like that one and it does the same thing.

I wipe the oil off at the end of the the day and live with it.

There's a bigger mess of wood chips and bar oil to wipe off also.

Did you get it at a big box store or a dealer? Either way did someone set it up and do the initial adjustment on it for you. If they did they probably set it rich for the break in process. 5-10 tanks of fuel or 5-6 hours of runtime. If so once it's broken in you should be able to have it readjusted which would clean it up some and also give it a bit more power.

My 365 Husky did the same thing.

Most of the Stihl 250's have a single needle carb and there is a fixed jet for the high speed.

Do not ruin the piston over trying to prevent a little oil mess around the bottom of the muffler.

There's a much bigger mess around the chain and clutch to keep up with that would serve you better.

Most of the Stihl 250's have a single needle carb and there is a fixed jet for the high speed.

Do not ruin the piston over trying to prevent a little oil mess around the bottom of the muffler.

There's a much bigger mess around the chain and clutch to keep up with that would serve you better.

I don't mind a little oil mess if that's what the deal is. I cleaned it already.

Smoke was a bit worrisome after the cut.

as for the other mess you mean around here?
(i dun cleaned that too)
BarOffClose_155820.jpg

Last edited:
Did you get it at a big box store or a dealer? Either way did someone set it up and do the initial adjustment on it for you. If they did they probably set it rich for the break in process. 5-10 tanks of fuel or 5-6 hours of runtime. If so once it's broken in you should be able to have it readjusted which would clean it up some and also give it a bit more power.

My 365 Husky did the same thing.

Yes, Dealer (it had an adjustment first week or so because of hard starts, so that might be it).

We're probably getting there for a revisit.

I have a lot of chainsaws including one the same brand and model as yours. It does the same thing around the bottom of the muffler and there is nothing wrong with my oil mix or the mixture on the carburetor. The chainsaw exhaust smokes a little when it is cold outside but settles down as the chainsaw warms up. If I make several buried cuts in a row blocking big limbs and then shut the chainsaw off - yes it will smoke a little but I usually don't take time to worry about it. My bigger concern with the Stihl MS 250 is that it will set the tree bark on fire in a buried cut if you are cutting pine. In this part of the country the pine bark quits glowing when the cut is done and that is the end of the problem.

My other chainsaws all have some kind of oil mess around the muffler. It is just part of the game.

When I clean the chainsaw I just clean this up as well as the saw dust and other mess.

I have a lot of chainsaws including one the same brand and model as yours. It does the same thing around the bottom of the muffler and there is nothing wrong with my oil mix or the mixture on the carburetor. The chainsaw exhaust smokes a little when it is cold outside but settles down as the chainsaw warms up. If I make several buried cuts in a row blocking big limbs and then shut the chainsaw off - yes it will smoke a little but I usually don't take time to worry about it. My bigger concern with the Stihl MS 250 is that it will set the tree bark on fire in a buried cut if you are cutting pine. In this part of the country the pine bark quits glowing when the cut is done and that is the end of the problem.

My other chainsaws all have some kind of oil mess around the muffler. It is just part of the game.

When I clean the chainsaw I just clean this up as well as the saw dust and other mess.

Alright. That's good to know. Appreciate it.

P.S. Funny you should say that — I did once bury the tip the other week and it ignited some hardwood noodles; a few were smoking when I pulled them out. (easily put out in the snow of course)

View attachment 281387
I have a Stihl just like that one and it does the same thing.

I wipe the oil off at the end of the the day and live with it.

There's a bigger mess of wood chips and bar oil to wipe off also.

Fine with me. I find it kinda zen to chill and clean it out afterward anyway.

In the 2nd pic You'll see a bit of bicycle brake/derailleur cable I use to get the crud out of the bar groove. It's amazing the amount of squizz that comes out of there.

I would trust what W8YE says. He has muich more experience than I and he has the same saw. After a few weeks and some more run time and it's broken in for sure it can't hurt to ask the dealer to check the tune on it for you but sounds like a normal operating proceedure per a fellow same saw owner.

No matter what, cut some wood and enjoy it:chainsawguy:

:cheers:

muffler mod and retune helps a ton on this saw. seems to let it blow that crap free, not to mention the performance. you won't believe it til you try it.

Latest posts

Back