What chain brand YOU buy when u need one now (not online)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What chain YOU buy when you need it now (not online)

• Oregon

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Husquvarna

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Jonsered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stihl

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Tractor supply (country line)

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bingo! Hardness is only one factor. As steel gets harder, it may hold an edge longer, under certain conditions, but also becomes harder to sharpen with a file in the field. It also becomes more brittle at a point, which means that the fine cutting edges can break off easier.

Same thing with 'thicker chrome', which some guys assume means a 'better chain'. Chrome provides abrasion resistance on the top and side of the cutters, but it is also hard / brittle, and cannot be practically sharpened, so a cutter with thicker chrome can not be made as sharp as one with a thinner layer. Some racers try to remove the chrome layer for race chain.

Overall, chain manufacturers have to balance: hardness, toughness, durability, heat treating, finish, corrosion resistance, alloys, material costs, manufacturing methods and costs, environmental issues (chrome plating), geometry, markets, etc., etc., etc. You can focus on any one of these and come up with the wrong choice.

Best thing is to buy a few loops, of different types / models / brands, etc, that fit your saw, and see which best meets your needs under your cutting conditions. Then, start messing around with different sharpening angles! Nothing wrong with having different chains for different types of wood or cutting conditions either - think of your saw as a socket set, and use different chains and guide bars like sockets and extensions for the work at hand!

Philbert
I'm 1/2 done filing that TriLink 0.325" chain back to the 25deg angle it's supposed to be, and the extra chrome is annoying. It ends up making a ragged flap over the top of the cutter edge, which makes it hard to see the real edge.

Only 3 trilink available at my Walmart, and I need 66 link:mad:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
Here's a shot of the TriLink 0.325" full chisel after filing to proper angles and cutting a little ash. I like it, the chain cuts quite fast.
TriLink325.jpg

Here is some TriLink lo pro, but it is their older style. Also after cutting some ash (2 tanks on it):
TriLinkLoPro-OldStyle.jpg

And this is the lo pro in action. Saw is running at around 11krpm at the widest part of the log in both cuts, and the chain was not slowing things down:

doesn't matter if its trilink or stihl, it won't cut very well until you put it on with the cutters facing the right way.
Lol I just saw that and was thinking of saying the same thing. I drive around the rich part of town during trash day and found a lightly used echo saw by the curbside with a chain on backwards. I've never tried a backwards chain but can imagine just junking it and using a hand saw at that point.

I really like the tri-link chisel chain, cuts really well, and fast for the money

Lol I just saw that and was thinking of saying the same thing. I drive around the rich part of town during trash day and found a lightly used echo saw by the curbside with a chain on backwards. I've never tried a backwards chain but can imagine just junking it and using a hand saw at that point.
My first saw was Poulan pro 42cc, found on side of road, needed bar nuts and chain. The brake was on so I'm assuming either they didn't know that and couldn't run it or they weren't trying to get rid of it and left to close the road while shopping for a chain. :lol:

Walked into our local Rural King farm store the other day and discovered that all the Oregon brand chain they had displayed in the chainsaw department had been replaced by Tri-link chain. Amazing how much less money for that brand of chain. They had an 18" 3003 stihl mount bar and chain combo (74 link chisel) for $29.99. After seeing this pricing, I may just jump the fence and try one out. If I like it I will commence swapping out my stock rolls. I cannot compete with their pricing. If this chain is a good as several users are saying it is, I will have no choice but to switch....or get out of the chain sales business all together. Does anybody know if Archer chain is made by Tri-Link?

Does anybody know if Archer chain is made by Tri-Link?
As far as I know, they are independent companies, but both manufactured in China.
China is a big place, so no reason to assume that they come out of the same factory, unless someone has evidence / information that they do.

I cannot compete with their pricing.....or get out of the chain sales business all together.

STIHL is not the lowest priced chainsaw - people still seem to be buying those. . . .

Philbert

I like trilink, sold at Walmart, Tsc, homedepot...

-Efisher26-
Not here. I just called Home Depot (I've never been there), and Walmart just sells super cheap Oregon (and just a few packs). No 100ft rolls for sure! Dunno on TSC, that doesn't exist here. Their website doesn't show it, just Country Line chain and only in loops, no rolls.

Last time I needed chains, I either went to the local sharpening shop or the Husky dealer. Both sell professional chain, not safety chain. However... now I will be getting more of it online due to cost savings and the fact that no one sells semi chisel around here.

Stihl dealer might but that stuff costs an arm and lower leg... not going that route, chains that stretch a little don't bother me, I'm not in a hurry to cut wood. I like how semi chisel cuts and cuts and cuts... chisel sucks donkey balls in anything but really clean wood. Once that point is rounded off, it seems to cut slower than semi chisel.

Safety chain... yeah forget that crap... a hand saw with good teeth would cut faster than that.

Country line at Tsc, power care at depot are renamed trilink. I don't think it's in all Walmarts yet. I've never seen spools, just loops

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7
Echo 290evl

Gotcha. Was thinking of bringing in a roll or 3. The Oregon 72JGX (3/8" skip) runs us almost $400 a roll with the shipping. I just use old loops for my saws. We have tons of old loops, some are darn near new. Just have to sort through a pail to find one at least long enough and then I just shorten it. (I'm too cheap to buy new chain haha, the rolls are for customer loops)

Not here. I just called Home Depot (I've never been there), and Walmart just sells super cheap Oregon (and just a few packs). No 100ft rolls for sure! Dunno on TSC, that doesn't exist here. Their website doesn't show it, just Country Line chain and only in loops, no rolls.

As Efisher26 notes, the TriLink ('000') chain is rebranded and sold under many names (PowerCare, CountryLine, Silver Streak, Forester, and sadly, even some of Bailey's WoodsmanPro is now TriLink). I have see all of these brand names on the boxes, or in the ads, but still have the '000' logo stamped on the chain.

All the stores mentioned above sell retail loops, often just for the saws that they sell. If you want to buy reels wholesale, contact TriLink directly and ask for a wholesale or commercial distributor.
http://trilinksawchain.com/contact-us/

There are some 100' reels of Forester chain on eBay (might be TriLink?).

There are also 100' rolls of Archer brand chain there (not TriLink), offered by the US distributor, if you just want a less expensive brand to carry.

Philbert

I heard a lot of ppl say they don't like the forester chain, just the bars. I wonder if their talking about the trilink version

-Efisher26-

Back