What chainsaw should one buy to make a living with? Also need advise on repairs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J & L Creations

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new here, been following threads for a while now and this is my first post. I just built a band sawmill and accumulating logs to cut and find myself badly in need a good high quality, powerful chainsaw. One if taken care of properly, will last me for many years, and has a good warranty. I have searched the internet blogs and reviews on name brand chainsaws, everyone I have looked at have bad reviews. Of course proper care and maintenance is the key. So I thought with the experience and knowledge base here, I could receive help in deciding on what chainsaw to purchase and will not hold anyone accountable for their recommendation, as it is solely my decision.

Also I have a Husky 51 which has very good spark, good compression and fuel, but will not pop even with the use of starting fluid. Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

Have a Husky 61 with no spark, looks as if the primary and secondary coils are separate, so needing coil parts for this one, sparkplug is good and kill switch is off and not shorting out. Could this be modified into one package for the primary and secondary coils?

Thank you for your help in this matter, Jeff.
My YT address, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5MWkMsbXeqTSQGihR0is1Q

Pretty much any saw in the 70cc range for all around use, then it comes down to what dealers you have around you for service and parts, and who you like to deal with any saw that's maintained will run basically forever

Don't use starting fluid on 2-stroke power equipment. That's dumb.

Any 70cc+ machine should fit the bill. I wouldn't get too hung up on warranty. If it is defective, it will fail early. If it doesn't fail early but fails later, it is either bad luck or operator error, neither of which are covered anyway.

You are planning to use this to prep logs for the band-saw mill, right?
How big a log can the mill handle?
For the kind of use that is seems like you are intending, you will never be sorry you bought a bigger saw :)
The size of wood you will be cutting as well as what brands have good local dealer support is important.
These days you can get anything online, but the internet wont get you a new bar when your old favorite is stuck in a log at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon.
All the brands have their fanboys, I myself am a Stihl nerd, but there are plenty of great saws out there that will meet your needs.
If you plan on milling with the chainsaw or doing a lot of stumping to get the interesting grain often found there, seriously consider getting a bigger saw than you really need as both of these activities are really hard on a saw.
Let us know what you intend to use it for and what good dealers are in your area and I'm sure there will be some good advice.
Dave

Thanks guy's for all the info. Yes to prep logs. I am able to cut 32" diameter x 20' logs with the mill I built. I will be uploading a video on my YT channel, after painting in the next month or so of it cutting a log. I used the starting fluid as a last resort, still would not start. I know it will remove lubricant from the cylinder walls, but was not by any means a large amount. As far as being dumb, I'm sure we have all been there a time or two, I know I have. Yes, I had thought of going with a larger chainsaw to accommodate my needs and think that is good advise. There are Stihl and Husqvarna dealers in my neck of the woods, my wife works at a Massy Fergusson tractor dealership, they handle Husqvarna chainsaws, so I'll be checking them out as well. Any thoughts as to troubleshooting the chainsaws I spoke about in my first post? Thanks again all, Jeff.

Don't use starting fluid on 2-stroke power equipment. That's dumb.

Any 70cc+ machine should fit the bill. I wouldn't get too hung up on warranty. If it is defective, it will fail early. If it doesn't fail early but fails later, it is either bad luck or operator error, neither of which are covered anyway.

I wold have to disagree. Warranty is a factor for many people out there. I have seen many saws fail after 8-10 even 15 months, and most of the time we are able to find out what is the matter with the saw and submit a warranty claim. In many cases we can do a good faith repair, manufacture pays for the parts you pay the labor. That is OEM parts BTW.. so in this case warranty is a good thing. Warranty goes hand in hand with a good dealer relationship. I can not tell you how many times I am taking brand new units and pulling parts off them ( mostly chain brake handles ) and giving them to the tree guys to get them out of a pinch. We also will go to bat for them when there is a warranty issue..

Warranty matters to me as well. The way a warranty issue is handled will mean the difference between weather I deal with a business in the future or not. And if they want any referrals from me. I am going into log cutting in a big way, have already met many people who share my passion or make a living cutting trees for installing new fence lines repairing fence lines, clearing for roads or fields. This in itself should make a dealer treat a warranty claim or potential buyer correctly. I have to agree with you Rockjock.

I have not run one, but have yet to read anything bad about the husky 576xp/at saw. Supposedly very smooth, and the autotune version it has, has been reliable.

I will check into the 576xp thanks Zogger and amberg.
Ok, I just removed the head and piston from the Husky 51 , and yes they are scored badly. Would it be worth rebuilding, a new head, piston and ring? This is a second hand chainsaw, so really don't know it's history. Also the crank is a little hard to turn.

Depends on how big your logs are. 372 is a great size saw, for wood under 20" or so, anything bigger you need more hp like a 395. For the 51, get a good Meteor or OEM piston, but you need to figure out if those main bearings are bad, and if so, then you have to split the case...

poulan wild thing,,, great saw,,,, made 1000's with one,,,, i run a 24" and 32" b/c on mine

You can rebuild Husq 51 with a 46mm Husq 55 topend. Check fleabay = ~$20. You'll probably have to enlarge the impulse hole in the bottom of the new cylinder, so that it communicates with the crankcase. Delete base gasket and use Motoseal (or similar). Use new impulse grommet and intake boot - probably why it toasted. If you want to be safe, do a pressure and vac test. But when topend is $20.....

Yes, I more than likely will split the case and replace what's needed, main bearings seals gaskets head piston and ring. Any clue where I can buy a complete overhaul kit?

Depends on how big your logs are. 372 is a great size saw, for wood under 20" or so, anything bigger you need more hp like a 395.

I've never owned a saw as big as a 395, but I cut down one hell of a lot of tree's over 24" for my sawmill, with my Husky 268xp, and lately I've been using my Jonsered 2260.

I can't imagine needing a 395 around my sawmill, or felling for it!

IF I was buying an "all around" saw for felling tree's for my sawmill today, I'd buy a Husky 562 or it's cousin the Jonsered 2260...

SR

Both the saws you have are rugged damn fine saws fix em n you'll be set in my opinion if there's not enough power then buy a new saw but damn sure fix those I'd do that first I love the 55 husqy I do believe the 51 an 55 are very similar pictures?

Latest posts

Back