What chainsaw should one buy to make a living with? Also need advise on repairs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double J... you said:

"I am going into log cutting in a big way"

IMHO, then you need more than 1 saw. You probably need more than 5 saws. The day your saw craps out on you will be the day when warrantee doesn't mean crap. It'll be the day when you really needed it, and to not have a backup will mean work stops. Multiple backups in the saw world is relatively cheap. I have a sawmill myself, its just a hobby mill. I cut cants with my husky 350's as they come off the mill. I have multiple saws as backup because when I'm running the mill, I don't need to be worried about whether a saw is working or not. If a saw breaks down, grab another, get the saw fixed (warrantee or diy) some other day.

Best of luck w/ your mill and stay safe.

I agree with what you have just posted here Matt. I do the rebuilds and repair work on these saws myself unless it's under warranty. Many times there is a 3 or 4 week wait for repairs if I take them to a repair shop, I know of no one who can wait that long for a repair to be done. I have 9 saws, 4 Husky's, 1 Stihl, 1 McCullough, 2 Homelite and 1 Poulan. My favorites being Husky, Stihl and McCullough, in that order. My biggest concern now is teaching others to use a saw correctly, keeping them from tearing a saw up and preventive maintenance. A must have is a precession chain sharpener. Most of Texas does not have much of a winter, gets really hot here, so we can work year round most of the time and early in the day, so this means we have to have good reliable equipment and try to keep the down time to a minimum. Thanks so much for the encouragement, have a good one, Jeff.
PS: I have two pole saws as well, one being an Echo and the other Ryobi, I KNOW RYOBI. The Echo is a really a top notch saw, the Ryobi extends further than the Echo, so when I can't reach a limb with the Echo the Ryobi usually can, not the best pole saw but helps in a pinch. You can also buy other attachments for the Ryobi, the weed eater attachment being the main one I use, good Rattle Snake killer as well.

Latest posts

Back