What compression and vacuum tester to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Va.

XPW Fan Club
Reaction score
Wanting to buy a compression, vacuum and pressure tester. Want some advice on good brands, types, etc. I'd like to find something pretty decent. Thanks.

No more loaning other peoples compression tester :rock:

So i went and aqcuired this "Trisco Flex Drive compression tester G-320HD", its the same thats mentioned in Husqvarna´s shop tool list....so it think its adequate...

Or is it ?

I still gotta buy vacuum tester as well or make one from something like brake bleeder.

The Mity-vac is a good vacuum rig. I've had mine for years and it has lots of uses after you get it. Comes in handy when bleeding brakes by yourself and a lot of other stuff too.

I've had several compression gauges. I always buy the autozone specials and they poop out every year or so. I really ortta get me a good'n.

I've got the Mityvac 8500 pressure and vac kit and it is very well made and is very useful many other applications as well. When testing saws it is very handy to go form pressure to vac at the flip of the valve. My Comp tester is NAPA special....works well enough but Mityvac also makes a very good kit for those too. MV5530 is the number and is on my "to aquire" list.....many options in this kit.

I've got the Mityvac 8500 pressure and vac kit and it is very well made and is very useful many other applications as well. When testing saws it is very handy to go form pressure to vac at the flip of the valve. My Comp tester is NAPA special....works well enough but Mityvac also makes a very good kit for those too. MV5530 is the number and is on my "to aquire" list.....many options in this kit.

That looks like a nice compression gauge set. I may have to put it on the Christmas list :)

I have always had really good service out of Milton air tools and they are made in the USA, so I just bought one of their compression gauges for about $50 and I am very pleased with the craftsmanship. I'll get some pics and post up. Snap-On makes a great compression gauge also, but $200 is a lot of money for a tool unless it is putting food on the table. You can also get parts from Milton if anything ever happens to the gauge.

Another vote for the mightyvac 8500.. The trick to doing good vacuum tests is sealing off the intake, exhaust, and sparkplug (make sure plug is snug). Sounds simple but I have had to make aluminum plates with rubber on the inside to seal the ports. Each saw can be different so you have to make several sizes. Also have used rubber stoppers, if you are lucky and get a round port to seal, usually carb intake.

I've had several compression gauges. I always buy the autozone specials and they poop out every year or so. I really ortta get me a good'n.
If the autozone special you are talking about is the Actron gauge, its a good one. The only thing that occasionally goes on it would be the schraeder valve in the tip and I don't blame the gauge for that. When it goes, it gives an artificially low reading, I replace it with the snap-on white schraeder valve (they cost a buck a pop) and the snap on ones don't last any longer than the original (about 6 months for me).

If the autozone special you are talking about is the Actron gauge, its a good one. The only thing that occasionally goes on it would be the schraeder valve in the tip and I don't blame the gauge for that. When it goes, it gives an artificially low reading, I replace it with the snap-on white schraeder valve (they cost a buck a pop) and the snap on ones don't last any longer than the original (about 6 months for me).

Yep, Thats the ones. I've just been through a couple though. I tried changing the schraeder valve o the first one and it didn't help it....don't mean the one I put in was any better than the one I took out though. I still got one of them, I'll try it again sometime.

Yep, Thats the ones. I've just been through a couple though. I tried changing the schraeder valve o the first one and it didn't help it....don't mean the one I put in was any better than the one I took out though. I still got one of them, I'll try it again sometime.

Here's the LINK for the valves They used to cost a dollar each, I see now that they are $1.99. They are the 7th one down from the top marked "MT24DA1" The shipping was or used to be, free.

I went through several compression gauges and finally bought a SnapOn. No more problems.

Snap-On is also a good source of soft-spring schrader valves, like you need at the cylinder end. Snap-On p/n MT24DA1, $1.10 ea. Lots cheaper than replacement gauge.

This is my new one i got last week, 2 in 1 Stihl vac/pressure pump, you just move the valve on the end back to do a pressure test and move it forward to do a vac test
244044d1341468299-img_2486-jpg

Latest posts

Back