What demon is this, and should i be worried

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
robespierre

robespierre

ArboristSite Operative
That looks like a tarantula hawk. They feed on nectar but hunt tarantulas to feed their young.they paralyze a tarantula and bring them down to their holes for the babies to feast on. They have the second most painful bite in the insect world. I understand it feels like a bolt of lightning.

4cyl2vy

4cyl2vy

ArboristSite Member
No tarantulas in NY that I am aware of. This insect is about the size of a large black ant. Maybe something dead in the pile? They just seem to buzz around, not doing anything productive. Scouting or drawn in by the smell of something it would seem.

WoodTick007

WoodTick007

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't know what its called, but it sure looks like a bug that if it bit people it might hurt more than a bug that bites.and doesn't hurt. Around these parts we don't have a name for any bug like that so we just say hey lookout there is one dem whutjamajiggers flying around here.

Fireaxman

Fireaxman

ArboristSite Guru
That looks like a tarantula hawk. They feed on nectar but hunt tarantulas to feed their young.they paralyze a tarantula and bring them down to their holes for the babies to feast on. They have the second most painful bite in the insect world. I understand it feels like a bolt of lightning.
I do not think it is a Pepsis wasp (Tarantula Hawk). The Tarantula Hawk Wasps I am familiar with from New Mexico and West Texas are very large wasps with solid black body and bright orange wings. I think is is the State Bug of New Mexico.
https://www.desertmuseum.org/kids/oz/long-fact-sheets/Pepsis Wasp.php

Latest posts