What do companies look for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawlin98xj

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What do logging companies look for in potential employees? I am 22 and love hard work. I don't smoke or do drugs, only drink on occasion and never when I have work the next day. I am a carpenter now but want to be working in the woods more than anything. I know it's been said a million times before but this is something I want to do. I have wanted it since before all these logging reality shows but its is just now that it is becoming a real possibility for me since we will be moving up north in the near future. Only thing is, I did not graduate high school. It is not something I regret doing because I did it to start working full time at 16. I am a hard worker at heart. I take the bad with the good and keep a positive attitude the whole time.

I look for someone who is willing to learn. I am still learning. You never stop learning in the woods. First you should atleast get you G.E.D. With out that or a diploma; I would not even consider hiring someone. That showes your willing to learn. I know there is alot of men in the woods that don't have that but it is one thing I look for. Other than that I want someone who will show up on time and do their job with out having to be babysat.

Ray

Your ambition, which is key, is a good start and from what you write sounds good. With zero experience, you are going to have to start at the bottom which will mean low wages. Not sure how this will work out for you if you are an experienced carpenter since they can make a good buck.

If you have the ability, you will just need experience. Go for an interview and describe it exactly as you have here, just don't be shocked when you are not felling in the first week. Before you find a paying position, see if you can do some tag-a-longs (which is non-paying BTW) with a experienced logger, the experience you get from this will work volumes for you, that is what I did when it came to starting into land clearing and then grew from there. This will also offer you a look at what is to come, and then you may decide it is not for you.

They are looking for somebody who won't get hurt, or killed. Our fair state raised the L&I rate to where it almost equals the actual wage paid to chokersetters. I predict that more guys will dump their yarder sides and go to total mechanized. This means fewer jobs.

In addition to fewer jobs in logging out west, there's longer periods of layoffs for both rigging crews and fallers. That being said, the bigger outfits are always looking for good hands. A good hand is someone who is reliable, humble, works hard, and stays safe. An arrogant turd won't make it long on a rigging crew, especially on a high lead/tower side. The rigging will crush any man at any time who isn't paying attention.

Not a logger but a former business owner - GED shows initiative, more so than finishing HS. Won't tolerate much being late or absent, don't make me wait for you, I won't. don't wilt when you get barked at, buck up and keep moving. Ask questions but use the information to try to answer your next question. Number one for me- show initiative within your abilities. Make my work easier. Do this and show respect, folks will take you in and show you the ropes. Pretty sure it's the same with most trades.

Last edited:
All good advice so far. Teeters, I like your take on getting a GED shows more initiative than finishing high school. I never thought about it like that before, makes good sense.

I can add that you need to know you're place. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, or suggest that you be a "shrinking violet", but you have to understand you're starting as a rookie. Respect the people who are teaching you.

I have a friend who was breaking in a new faller years ago. The kid acted and talked like he knew it all already. Wouldn't listen. So my friend goes to his next tree, a 4ft hemlock with an obvious lean, not a heavy lean, but obvious to him. He proceeds to put the undercut in the direction of the lean. He then starts his backcut, cuts about 8" in and shuts his saw off. He tells the kid to start wedging now! He let this kid pound wedges for over 1/2 hr! All the while barking at the kid to "hit it like you mean it"! At the end, the poor kid could barely lift his arms and the wedges were all mushroomed over! My buddy starts his saw, finishes the cut and the tree goes over, no problem. He shuts his saw off again. Sits on the stump, lights a smoke and says "Let this be your first lesson..............don't f-----g wedge when you don't have to!"

yep, and .. gotta add, since it's on my mind. By "showing initiative within your abilities", make it count. Take in the whole picture as best you can and fill the void. I never bought the "look busy" m.o. If you're off working somewhere 'looking busy' and I need you here, well.. not helping.

Last edited:
All good advice so far. Teeters, I like your take on getting a GED shows more initiative than finishing high school. I never thought about it like that before, makes good sense.

I can add that you need to know you're place. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, or suggest that you be a "shrinking violet", but you have to understand you're starting as a rookie. Respect the people who are teaching you.

I have a friend who was breaking in a new faller years ago. The kid acted and talked like he knew it all already. Wouldn't listen. So my friend goes to his next tree, a 4ft hemlock with an obvious lean, not a heavy lean, but obvious to him. He proceeds to put the undercut in the direction of the lean. He then starts his backcut, cuts about 8" in and shuts his saw off. He tells the kid to start wedging now! He let this kid pound wedges for over 1/2 hr! All the while barking at the kid to "hit it like you mean it"! At the end, the poor kid could barely lift his arms and the wedges were all mushroomed over! My buddy starts his saw, finishes the cut and the tree goes over, no problem. He shuts his saw off again. Sits on the stump, lights a smoke and says "Let this be your first lesson..............don't f-----g wedge when you don't have to!"

Great story...and a good lesson, too..

for me i look for experience,i cant afford to have an inexperienced guy on my crew with the economy the way it is i need people that can make me money and not cost me money. thats why i tell people that now is not a good time to be getting into logging. most crews are in the same sinking ship that im in. i dont think it will be that many more years before you see a lot more logging companys disapear

for me i look for experience,i cant afford to have an inexperienced guy on my crew with the economy the way it is i need people that can make me money and not cost me money. thats why i tell people that now is not a good time to be getting into logging. most crews are in the same sinking ship that im in. i dont think it will be that many more years before you see a lot more logging companys disapear

Very true, however, you also have to look at the opposite end of the spectrum too. When, not if, but when things turn around, we're going to experience a labour crunch, not enough people or companies to do the work. Even though it's tough, and costs money, I've been trying to train the odd new guy here or there still. Seems to be if you spend the time and money and do it right, it does pay off in the long run with increased loyalty.

Thanks for all the great input. My GED is something I have been looking into and thought now would be a good time but with work on and off it is hard to know if I would be able to make all the classes. I am thinking as soon as I move and start fresh, it will be the perfect time to jump on it and get it. I have the drive and more importantly the common sense that a lot of people seem to lack these days. I have no doubt in my mind that I will thrive out in the woods and look forward to proving myself. I take pride in any work I do but am far from arrogant or cocky. Thanks again.

Alex

I'll tell you... You write better than many people I know who have a high school diploma. One of these people can't read and can't look up a name in the phone book!

And few employers are going to check to see if you have a high school diploma. I would see no harm in saying you did graduate...

Not-so-smart people will judge others by pieces of paper, but I have learned that some people can be quite smart without any piece of paper. And others with a college degree can be quite incompetent!

Anyway a diploma means nothing to me, but I would suggest getting your GED anyway - just to do it for yourself.

As to work in general, I was told long ago that employers want "Speed and Accuracy". Period. For logging/construction add Safety.

And for logging I'll tell you want they don't want (what I hear about the most. People don't tell me about what a good job someone is doing. :cool: )...

-Lazy

-Dangerous person who places himself or other workers in danger by his actions.

-Frequently does not show up for work.

-Drug or excessive alcohol problem which causes problems at work like failed drug test. Common for many loggers to have a good booze up after work though.

-Excessively annoying person. Say someone who gripes about his marriage problems constantly every single minute - every single day.

(Farting in the work truck (crummy) in the morning on the way to work is expected. If you can get everyone else to roll down their windows and stick their heads out, then you are A#1! )

Show them what you're worth

I hear people complain that they can't find work. I believe that they aren't trying hard enough or are too selective in their search. When I was younger, my deal was to show up before everyone else and make a a proposition. I'll work for the whole day for free - if they think I'm valuable pay me what I was worth. If not, don't pay me at all and we'll shake hands and part friends. I've never not gotten more work. Even if they don't need you tomorrow, you will be memorable.

Good luck on the move.
Bill

I hear people complain that they can't find work. I believe that they aren't trying hard enough or are too selective in their search. When I was younger, my deal was to show up before everyone else and make a a proposition. I'll work for the whole day for free - if they think I'm valuable pay me what I was worth. If not, don't pay me at all and we'll shake hands and part friends. I've never not gotten more work. Even if they don't need you tomorrow, you will be memorable.

Good luck on the move.
Bill

work begets work. I was young during the early 80's recession. Best start for just finding any work was temp agencies. Bounce around a lot, bust ass and be there (which doesn't take a lot) - find a good fit and the company would hire you outright. Off-topic a little..but.

Last edited:

I will second that on a good "teaching moment" story i will remember that one for the know it alls that come along and need some schoolin.

Hey guys, sorry for the bump but thought I would update you. Moving up north didn't happen and all of the local companies want 5 years experience and don't want to train. I sent my application in to a company down south and they gave me a call to set up my drug screening which I will be doing tomorrow. They told me to give them a call when I am at the clinic so they can take care of paying for the test. I didn't get my hopes up until I got the call and now I am super excited. My thinking is, they wouldn't want to pay for my drug screening if they didnt want to hire me. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Alex

Good to hear this. I sure hope you pee clean!

Remember you have 2 ears and 2 eyes but just one mouth. That means you should take in as much info as you can but not speak much. And make sure your skin is thick and laugh alot. Showing up with donuts now and then can't hurt. Oh and don't get killed.

Latest posts

Back