What do you all use for kindling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been using oven dried chips after they've been tested at the local paper mill. A couple good sized garbage bags will last a winter or more. Works good and no splitting required.

They've been sorted so pretty uniform size and no sawdust.

I make my own firestarters which replace kindling most the time. If I need kindling I use the old latheboards removed from remodeling our home. The lathes would be as they say popcorn fart dry.

If there are no coals, I use pre-made firestarter bricks (cut in half) and no kindling. If there is even a handful of coals, I'll use a few pieces of split up 2x4s.

In the spring, when I'm done with the firewood, I usually get my kindling done for the following season. I set aside small Aspen logs that are around six or so inches in diameter. I then cut them into eight inch lengths and split them with a three pound ax into kindling size pieces. It works well for me so I stick with it. I will also collect the small pieces from the regular firewood spliting operation.

Last edited:
Through out the year I pick up the twigs, sticks and branches that fall out of all the oaks on my property. Especially after a rainfall you can gather quite a few. I put them undercover for the burning season. That and bark and splinters from splitting make great kindling. It's got to be picked up anyway.

Splitter trash

Split 40 or so cords of wood a year and you'll have a ton of it, literally. Fill the heavy plastic birdseed bags with the splitter trash and let it sit in the shed or under cover. In the fall when it's needed I've got more than I need. I usually bring a bag to customers when I deliver in the fall and they're tickled pink.

Take Care

I would dare to say that I have the most exotic kindling... 3/4"x1"x12" Philippine Mahogany slats .

It was scrap offered on craigslist from a local saw mill that processes import rough boards into furniture grade lumber. It originally came in 3/4"x2"x36" lengths that I cut down to 12"..I then split the stuff to end up with the 1" width.

It's stupid dry and stacks so neatly that I got 5 years and counting worth of starter wood in one pick-up load.

Splitter turds in woven plastic dog food bags stored in the shed or rafters of the garage for a summer. With a tw-6, 6 way head, and 3 rottweilers I have more full bags than I use in a season.

sawed up pallets...trucking company up the road has them out for the takings by the hundreds...heck i bet i can go all winter just burning pallets. i use the cross slats for inside the house (no nails) and the bigger pieces i don't bother taking the nails out of i use for "atmosphere" in the firepit when friends are over.
besides that-i always find cedar at the landfill and what I don't use for my cat's scratching post i split for the stove too.

I went and talked to the local cabinet shop, now I get garbage cans full of their scrap pieces works great. When my can is empty I take it up and swap out for a full one.

Pine cones-About a trash bag and a half will do me for the winter plus what shards I collect while splitting. Every fire I start takes 3-4 cones plus a few wood splinters. I also save the clinkers(dead coals) when I clean the ash out of the stove daily before I light the fire and there's always some. The cones go on top of the dead coals and will re-fire the coals by the time they burn up so I have a good base of heat to sustain the fire. If I get short and don't want to go out to the garage I pull off splinters from split wood I already brought into the house. I don't need to split kindling doing it this way anymore.

We have a low area on our property where there's a lot of cedar. I cut down the trees and use them to make posts for stacking, then cut off anything over 5 feet and split those pieces for kindling.
After struggling with wet wood in the past to start fires with, it's great to grab 3 or 4 sticks of dry cedar and get it going with a single piece of paper.

Cedar for me as well !! Gabbed a few treess laying around, and good for a few years. Split into hockey stick size and good to go!!!

Latest posts

Back