what do you charge for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$95 a rank
$110 a rick
$106 a stove cord
$99.95 a truck load
$114 a #### load
$65 a face cord
$65 1/3 full cord
All prices are for a tightly stacked row of 16" pieces of split wood, 4' high x 8' long.

First off, I don't deliver, (except elderly/handicapped folks) if they want firewood, they come get it. I sell it buy the cubic foot, whatever they bring to haul it off in, I measure it. Some want a weekend supply, some want a year supply.

Everything is based on 128 cubic ft for a cord. Easy, simple, customer can see right away what he is paying for. Whether they want 12" pieces or 20" pieces, it always come out the same. 200.00 per cord of dry seasoned oak.

No need for a bunch of goofy names for a pile of wood, it confuses people.

That is because the bureau of weights and standards is federal that pretty much covers the USA. A rick,rank,face cord,bush cord or any other jethro bodine form of measurement is illegal. I doubt much resources are expended enforcing the rule but I guess calling it a third of a cord would not sound as inviting.:monkey:

They probably have 1 college educated idiot that can't do anything else and its probably a woman and a minority so they can't fire said person without a lawsuit. The enforcement probably isn't real thourough because said person can't read a book much less a tape measure. If you guys want to pick on me for stereotyping I'll help you pay for your hotel to come meet our Game Warden and if you DON'T think what i just said above is true and you STILL think it isn't. :)

Rope: you feed the trolls! lol Its still a regional thing. The guvmunt thinks cows are something you milk and farming is easy. :) So sometimes their rules aren't the best adapted for real world application

Rope, good luck selling a full cord up here, the economy is based about 80 percent on farming, predominantly poultry and beef. People are so hard up your lucky to sell 35.00 bucks worth at a time to most people. Hell, I carry a couple of single moms, letting them pay me what they can when they can. Although people here understand what a legal cord is, they have bought by the face cord of rick for all their lives. If a government man came out and told people they were buying wood illegally if they were buying or selling wood by the rick or face cord, they would get told to stick it in there hiney, just check the Joplin CL ads, Springfield as well.
Depending on the size of wood, hence 16" yes a face cord would be a third of a cord, if it's 24" wood half a cord. Those who by 24" wood actually buys it from me at 70.00 a cord. Those who buy 16" wood pay 105.00 a cord. Obviously the longer the wood the better deal you get as a customer, sucks for me, great for the customer, all in all it balances out.

I sell mine for $180/cord delivered. I sell it by the 1/4 cord, which is an S10 full of wood for $45/load delivered.

Do you guys in other states have to give a receipt to each wood customer as we do in Missouri. We have to write out a receipt describing the amount delivered, when it was delivered and how much was charged,
Example:
Sold to: Joe Blow
01/04/2011
2 face cords 24" wood or 1 legal cord
2' x 4' x 16'
$70.00
Signature of Joe Blow
Name of Delivery Person

Do you guys in other states have to give a receipt to each wood customer as we do in Missouri.

Cash is King

Usually no record of the transaction is made unless you're charging Sales Tax. That said if a customer requests a written receipt I'm always happy to provide one.

Take Care

I get $140 for 1/2 cord and $225 for a full cord delivered. All my wood is seasoned oak or hickory, splits no rounds. I also sell 3 cubic foot bundles or stacks for $10. Thats for the apartment people whick works out to about $400 a cord. :givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

In years past, we have been around 275 for a full cord delivered and stacked, however, due to the economy and so many people in the firewood business lately, even though gas etc keeps going up, the price in my area has dropped. We are now at 225 for a full cord delivered locally and stacked, and the phones aren't ringing off of the walls by any means.

This thread has been intresting to read so far. We could argue about the whole face cord thing all next century. But the reason I sell em is not a lot of people can afford large quantities at a time. Especially those on energy credits from the state. And I rather have a customer write me a check that doesn't go bounce in the night. Been there dome that. Also I started this thread cause I have heard of some insane prices for wood inn bigger cities. But.it looks like everyone is just about on the same page for prices. My motto is putting wood in your stove is pitting food on my table and that drives me to give customer service fair and just.

This thread has been intresting to read so far. We could argue about the whole face cord thing all next century. But the reason I sell em is not a lot of people can afford large quantities at a time. Especially those on energy credits from the state. And I rather have a customer write me a check that doesn't go bounce in the night. Been there dome that. Also I started this thread cause I have heard of some insane prices for wood inn bigger cities. But.it looks like everyone is just about on the same page for prices. My motto is putting wood in your stove is pitting food on my table and that drives me to give customer service fair and just.

:agree2::cheers:

I don't sell firewood, BUT most of the firewood I have right now was paid for by "sweat equity" which is basically "free" I guess. :) In reality, nothing is free; you paid for it somehow (sweat, lost money, etc.) There's an equilibrium ya know... :)

I have run into the same problem I'm by no means a big supplier but it just seems like everybody is trying to cut firewood for a profit. This is driving down the profit margin and the quality of service provided. I live down the road from a logging operation that couldn't make it logging full time so he buys a half million dollar wood processor goes out in the.woods slash cuts everything uses the logs for firewood sells .the rest for biomass and charges 10.00$ face or 30.00 to 50.00$ a cord less than anybody else. Fortunately most customers have cpme.back to us small suppliers after they were delivered garbage wood to burn. I talked to a buddy of mine who is a cheif for a local fire dept ( a wood burner himself ) and him and I agreed the # of chimney fires have increased two fold around here because of the lacl of good wood supply. I used to cut a lot of oak but now have been negotiating with a lot of retired orchard owners for their trees. It is a little bit of work but most farmers will just push em .over and burn them. So they are happy to get rid of them. And I caution my customers when.I sell them green wood. Most don't care because of the owb system which currently makes up 80% of my .customers. there are so many owbs around here most townships now have ordinances for them.

True example for wood prices in n michigan. Buddy of mine does a small harvest of red oak. He sends 33 logs to the mill all 8 ft long and anywhere between 20 in to 36 in diameter and gets a check for $336.00. His brother does the same thing but this time he loads them up to sell as a 10 pulp cord load of firewood and gets $800.00 for it. So I called and inquired about a load just to be nosy and was told there is at least a 6 mos waiting list by two different suppliers. I guess its good for the customers but bad for forest management. I guess it upsets me because this is
part of my bread and butter and Im in it for the long haul and not some fly by night operation trying to make a quick buck in a bad economy. Forest management means a future for me and a chance to teach my daughters the value of an honest days work while helping nature take its course. Those of us who do this aren't getting rich! We do it cause we enjoy the great outdoors and the Joy of accomplishing a job well done while providing a service to those that need it. Nothing is better than being able to get to do what I enjoy and then being rewarded not only with payment but by a grateful customer with a smile on thier face. I don't get that punching a time clock at the factory.

I haven't had any checks go bouncy bouncy. But it wouldn't make my wood deal much fun. I'm driving 240 miles tommorow to deliver 1 cord of wood. For 225 bucks. Of course I'm also getting paid mileage for work, and I'll hopefully make another 1000 bucks doing my REAL job! But yeah... you guys that like to stay close to home are probably better off, but I'm paying for a hotel room and fuel this way.

I sell seasoned Madrone, usually a little damp/wet from rain but completely seasoned.
I get $320 cord/ 175 1/2cord/ $100 1/4cord
I sell it as fast as I can cut it, only problem is I'm almost completely out of wood and having some trouble getting a lot more.
Even fir/alder is close to that price in my area, large demand and not too many people selling.

I just wish I could get $250+ for a cord of wood. Around here I get $120 delivered for 4'x16' usually 18" to 22" long. Its the same for special length requests, a few at 15" and one 28" to 30". Im forced to split it as its ordered, because of lack of time. It has sat cut into rounds between 4 months to a year. I guess it may not be completely seasoned but it burns and burns good. Toasty fire going with it right now.

I heard that you could get 75 a wheelbarel full in st louis dumped. Makes me want to take my dump trailer up for the weekend.

Full Cord Prices
Pecan 230.00
Pinon 200.00
Fir 220.00
Juniper 250.00
Cedar 230.00

Then half that for half cords, delivery is 25-35 depending on how far I have to go, stacking is 15. Stayed pretty busy this yr. as I starting to run low on pretty much all of it, so far this yr. saw ~25 cords moved

Back