What do you do with nests that have babies in them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scars2prove-it

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm sure you're like me and have run into lots of squirrel and birds nests. I have relocated the ones that I could if there was a tree nearby. Some squirrel nests I just put near the base of another tree and the mother comes and gets the babies.

Hi Glorified Hangnail,
Once I felled a White Birch with two baby crows in it, they couldn't fly, but would eat from your hand straight away.
Anywho, I brought them home to the kids, who fed them everything from dandilions to dog kibble. After they became a nuicance and couldn't fly, we turned them into a raptor place where they look after birds and stuff.
Raven Maniac

Hi Master Blaster, just today I was felling this tree that had a Sasquatch in it.
Anyway, I bet the Sasquatch that he couldn't play hopscotch 'way up in the tree.
Now there's a Sasquatch up in a tree-crotch, he's got my wristwatch and he's laughing at me.
John

Might seemed cold, but if I am removing the trees, they get pitched. If I am trimming the tree, and I can avoid the nest, then they stay, but if they are in the way they get pitched. We got plenty of tree rats over here.

Carl

Originally posted by Gypo Logger
Hi Master Blaster, just today I was felling this tree that had a Sasquatch in it.
Anyway, I bet the Sasquatch that he couldn't play hopscotch 'way up in the tree.
Now there's a Sasquatch up in a tree-crotch, he's got my wristwatch and he's laughing at me.
John

I think a urine screen is in order.:D

The Sasquatch Song

Glad you guys liked my little ditty, however, I never wrote the lyrics. It was written and sung by Stompin' Tom Connors 1999, from the CD, " Move Along with Stompin Tom". It might be found on Kazza.com
Also, another climbers song is " Knopper the Topper", by Hal Willis.
Don't forget to file your saws today, you bunch of climber nerds.
John

Just curious since this is on topic, does anywhere have a "Removals Season".

In the next few weeks I am relocating to deep Bavarian superland in Germany and there they have a season for removals. By that, I mean you CAN'T do removals in summer time as to not disturb wildlife habitat. I am sure there are exceptions for imminent looming hazards.

Not sure if it applies to live, dead, or all trees :confused:

Anywhere else have anything like this?

Originally posted by TREETX

In the next few weeks I am relocating to deep Bavarian superland in Germany and there they have a season for removals. By that, I mean you CAN'T do removals in summer time as to not disturb wildlife habitat. I am sure there are exceptions for imminent looming hazards.

Anywhere else have anything like this?

There's something similar in the UK. You can do removals whenever you want, but you're not allowed to disturb a nest that's in use, whether there's eggs or chicks in it or it's under construction. If you do so by accident, you will need to show that you took reasonable precautions, ie. checking trees before you start work. I think that there are exceptions for pest control and the like.

Latest posts

Back