What do you enjoy more, burning wood or gathering it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well shoot, Guess i'm gonna be the arshole here. I would rather be fishing or hunting than do either.lol but i do love running the saws, and don't mind splitting with the speeco. i don't care for loading none and stacking is a pain. About half way through winter i get tired of loading the stove and am ready for warm weather, especially after deer season. but i do love saving on the ole electric and propane bill, so it makes it all worth it.
Be thankful you don't have the winters we have in Michigan or other northern states.

I like going out once or twice a day and check the stove and stare at the fire for a minute or two, but I agree I don't look forward to loading, but it's not bad for me having a small pickup, but I have to make more trips.

I really hate cutting in winter with a stiff wind blowing up your azz, stopping to load the truck thinking I have enough only to find out I still have more room.:bang::angry:

Kyle

Last edited:
Be thankful you don't have the winters we have in Michigan or other northern states.

I like going out once or twice a day and check the stove and stare at the fire for a minute or two, but I agree I don't look forward to loading, but it's not bad for me having a small pickup, but I have to make more trips.

I really hate cutting in winter with a stiff wind blowing up your azz, stopping to load the truck thinking I have enough only to find out I still have more room.:bang::angry:

Kyle
Oh trust me i am. i would never make it with the bitter cold you guys get. I'm used to the heat and humidity which is really high today.

I'd rather cut in winter, no bugs lots of crisp clean air and no neibors to tell me how they did it "In the old days." Of course when it gets to be -20 or so watching it burn is much more enjoyable.

I only have 1 burning season under my belt but I have to say I love it all including stacking. I am a 50 year old plumber that has worked hard all my life in the heat and cold so you would think I would not want to deal with burning wood but I love it. Maybe in a couple more seasons I will change my tune though.

Cutting,stacking,burning,cleaning the owb,all are favorites of mine. I really can't stand to watch TV. I'd rather be outside even if I'm bustin my butt doing wood related stuff.

ive been doing it sence15 im 50 now. after a hard day im hurting but pain makes me feel alive. ive done 12 cord this spring fore my dad and for me got 4 or 5 more cut ready to bring home. but wood heat is great, i like doing it all. to me work is play time so i dont mind it.

My favorite is the smell of freshly split and stacked wood. Can't get any better than that.:cheers:!

My favorite is the smell of freshly split and stacked wood. Can't get any better than that.:cheers:!

I will clarify my post ......

My favorite is the smell of freshly split and stacked Sugar Maple and Red Oak wood. Can't get any better than that.:cheers:!

cept when you get the wood that smells like sewer when you split it :(
I have not run across any wood that really smelt bad, but I burn just Maple, Red oak, Beach, Cherry and Ash.

Maybe somebody should start a thread on stinky wood. :dizzy:
It would be interesting to know which kind of wood not to cut .:popcorn:

Like most have pointed out, like it all except the stacking part. I really like to cut when it is snowing last week was great huge snow flakes and dead silence at least when the saw was shut off:)

I grew up in the woods, and I love the outdoors, so the cutting is what I like best.

Splitting and stacking is just work.

But a good fire and a warm house is also a big plus.:greenchainsaw:

Splitting by hand first, burning second, stacking third, sawing fourth. Why? Because I can drink beer while doing everything except sawing.

Back