What do you enjoy more, burning wood or gathering it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The socializing. I love to stand in their yard --it is like traveling and talk to them while loading the wood. Some even help us load the wood! We have loaded in rain, snow and hot weather. Second would be the road trip and eating in the truck. I enjoy it more than my family though. Sometimes they think something is wrong with me.

Love to build a fire in the stove. I challenge myself to build a fire and light it, walk away and it burns for two hours (one that doesn't go out!!!)

Last enjoyable is the pain of aching muscles but it always goes away.

The socializing. I love to stand in their yard --it is like traveling and talk to them while loading the wood. Some even help us load the wood! We have loaded in rain, snow and hot weather. Second would be the road trip and eating in the truck. I enjoy it more than my family though. Sometimes they think something is wrong with me.

Love to build a fire in the stove. I challenge myself to build a fire and light it, walk away and it burns for two hours (one that doesn't go out!!!)

Last enjoyable is the pain of aching muscles but it always goes away.

I had to chuckle when I read the "Stand in their yard "part. Then I had to chuckle when I read the burns for two hours part.. I I generally only light one fire a year, in October.
I ain't never made a road trip to get firewood..Not seeing it in my near future either. I am very fortunate to have more than enough wood right here on the farm.

RE:ericjeeper

It would sound funny to you if you have lots of wood on your farm. We only have wood in our fence rows. So, we watch craigslist and clean wood out of peoples yards -- it is a burden to them. They would have to pay and haul it to the dump.

I will not get up in the night and put wood in the stove!!! I can't be a slave to it in the night.

We are fortunate to have a house that heats easy-- the fire goes out in the night and has to be started in the morning. One good thing about going out we burn a lot less wood to heat the house with. Our firewood goes farther.

My dad wishes I would teach my mom that method because she over fires and there wood pile really goes down!!!! He says she need to learn to ration the wood.

got wood

i like to look at the stack when its full-up and im not burniung any YET!......................I HATE TO SEE THE STACK SHRINKING! ..it always means its time to go back to work!

I like all of it. Just yesterday I was sitting at a stop light, and looked over at a lot that had been cleared but for one huge pine. So I'm sitting there gazing at it thinking, man I sure would love to cut into that. The guy behind me was probably thinking I was gazing at the hottie in the BMW to my left, he had no idea I was lusting after a tree, lol. :laugh:

.......burning outside

attachment.php

Last edited:
It's the Hunt

I like scoping out wood opportunities, then going out to gather wood. There's nothing quite like the feeling of satisfaction of tucking your chainsaw into that fresh cut load of wood on back of the ole pick-up. Some fellas like to look at their truck all shined up and freshly detailed. IMO, my truck never looked as good as it does when it's heaped up with freshly cut wood.

It's the "hunt" for wood that is the real satisfaction. And many times the reward is there's a lot more wood at a location than originally thought. Sometimes the gathering has it's own challenges, like twitching a log out of a brush pile with the truck or heading out in the woods with the ATV and trailer, putting the ATV through it's paces

There's also nothing quite like being surrounded by all that neatly stacked wood. I actually have my outdoor fireplace out next to my woodpiles. There's nothing like sitting next to an outdoor fire, adult beverage in hand, as you watch the firelight light up your woodpiles! Life is good.

For me anyway, gathering firewood is extremely rewarding. My screen name says it all "Wood Mainiac".

I like all of it. Just yesterday I was sitting at a stop light, and looked over at a lot that had been cleared but for one huge pine. So I'm sitting there gazing at it thinking, man I sure would love to cut into that. The guy behind me was probably thinking I was gazing at the hottie in the BMW to my left, he had no idea I was lusting after a tree, lol. :laugh:

Well I'm glad to see you can multitask cause you did take a millisecond to notice the hottie in the Beamer.:clap::cheers:

Kyle

I like scoping out wood opportunities, then going out to gather wood. There's nothing quite like the feeling of satisfaction of tucking your chainsaw into that fresh cut load of wood on back of the ole pick-up. Some fellas like to look at their truck all shined up and freshly detailed. IMO, my truck never looked as good as it does when it's heaped up with freshly cut wood.

It's the "hunt" for wood that is the real satisfaction. And many times the reward is there's a lot more wood at a location than originally thought. Sometimes the gathering has it's own challenges, like twitching a log out of a brush pile with the truck or heading out in the woods with the ATV and trailer, putting the ATV through it's paces

There's also nothing quite like being surrounded by all that neatly stacked wood. I actually have my outdoor fireplace out next to my woodpiles. There's nothing like sitting next to an outdoor fire, adult beverage in hand, as you watch the firelight light up your woodpiles! Life is good.

For me anyway, gathering firewood is extremely rewarding. My screen name says it all "Wood Mainiac".

Be careful the sparks don't start your pile on fire.

Kyle

Back