what do you guys prefer to cut big or small

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alderman

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Small stuff suits me

Easier on the back. Set it, split it, stack it, and forget it.

Here's a mixed load.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Joshlaugh

Joshlaugh

ArboristSite Operative
I think "big picture" for me I like them from 6"-20". I can easily lift them myself, since I work alone usually, and can split them with a maul and manuever them into position. I did get the rest of that boxelder this past weekend and had to noodle all the cookies as they were too big for me to handle on my own. As much fun as that was, I was thinking to myself, a smaller tree and I wouldn't have this extra step. But of course on the flip side, I also got to cut a nice size ash tree last Saturday and although it was tough moving the logs it was fun to cut(and easy to split).

God of ArboristSite
my fav is 16-18in rounds x24in ... no splitting..

rounds burn 2x-3x longer in my wood insert, than split wood the same mass.

deer slayer

deer slayer

ArboristSite Operative
duc I have the same splitter in the middle of doing same thing but w/expanded metal and angle iron. Does that get in the way w/refilling gas? oh yea I'm for the big stuff, w/flip up splitter much nicer

Last edited:
trost66

trost66

ArboristSite Member
I perfer bigger the better. Alot less cutting and you get alot of wood out of one piece. If you get a nice strait 36" diameter log its is usually splits pretty easy to split.

trost66

trost66

ArboristSite Member
Cutting up limb would is a pain after awhile. I sell about 200 load a year and burn about 20 at my own house. Split anything from 6in to 6ft.. Helps if you have the right equipment though.

StihltheOne

StihltheOne

ArboristSite Guru
I like the big ones!! I guess that I just like making noodles!!! I have gotton more wood since getting my 660, just cuz not many people will deal with the big stuff, I feel that the wood fron the center, or at least without bark burns better/longer than the wood from aroud the edge. I am prally crazy but tht is my thought.

strongback

strongback

ArboristSite Operative
If I could choose I'd not deal with anything under 24". Buck to 16" lengths, quarter the rounds (or make them small enough to get inside the tire on my stump whichever comes first) put it on the stump and make a bunch of firewood. I'd much rather pick up a one hundred pound block of wood than 20 pieces that weigh 5 pounds each.

Stein

Stein

ArboristSite Operative
Give me 8-16" all day and I'll be happy. That said, I cut down to 4" to minimize waste and brush handling. I generally stop at 20". Too much work when I have lots of smaller stuff to cut. I have a lot of 24"+ trunks left laying in the fencerows.

Latest posts