what do you guys prefer to cut big or small

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small stuff suits me

Easier on the back. Set it, split it, stack it, and forget it.

Here's a mixed load.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I take everything that comes off the tree. On crap wood (willow) down to about 4", good wood (locust) down to about 1 1/2".

Prefer? Good size rounds that can be cut with one pass on a 20" bar. Makes for nice cutting without a bunch of fooling around.

Harry K

I think "big picture" for me I like them from 6"-20". I can easily lift them myself, since I work alone usually, and can split them with a maul and manuever them into position. I did get the rest of that boxelder this past weekend and had to noodle all the cookies as they were too big for me to handle on my own. As much fun as that was, I was thinking to myself, a smaller tree and I wouldn't have this extra step. But of course on the flip side, I also got to cut a nice size ash tree last Saturday and although it was tough moving the logs it was fun to cut(and easy to split).

my fav is 16-18in rounds x24in ... no splitting..

rounds burn 2x-3x longer in my wood insert, than split wood the same mass.

I love the big stuff. It is a pain to work with but you get tons of wood out of just a few rounds.

duc I have the same splitter in the middle of doing same thing but w/expanded metal and angle iron. Does that get in the way w/refilling gas? oh yea I'm for the big stuff, w/flip up splitter much nicer

Last edited:
I perfer bigger the better. Alot less cutting and you get alot of wood out of one piece. If you get a nice strait 36" diameter log its is usually splits pretty easy to split.

Cutting up limb would is a pain after awhile. I sell about 200 load a year and burn about 20 at my own house. Split anything from 6in to 6ft.. Helps if you have the right equipment though.

i normally dont get alot of big stuff. when i do i enjoy it you get so many more splits per round its crazy. now i got enough saw and enough bar 36" to comfortable take anything i can get ahold of. BRING ON THE BIG UN'S lol

I usually cut anything from 4" up to 40. In the perfect world it would all be 10-20", I dont like the super big stuff, pain to rip it and split it.

I like the big ones!! I guess that I just like making noodles!!! I have gotton more wood since getting my 660, just cuz not many people will deal with the big stuff, I feel that the wood fron the center, or at least without bark burns better/longer than the wood from aroud the edge. I am prally crazy but tht is my thought.

It's everything down to about 2". But as for big stuff (12"+), I'll see what the Fiskars can do (until I get the other splitter working) or I'll just rip it a couple of inches or so and split it with a wedge to get it down to reasonable working size.

attachment.php

Production wise, it's faster to deal with smaller stuff less than 20 inches....a lot easier on the back and equipment too.

max for me is about 18 , I handle most if not all of it myself , plus with a 20" bar anything bigger is a pain

If I could choose I'd not deal with anything under 24". Buck to 16" lengths, quarter the rounds (or make them small enough to get inside the tire on my stump whichever comes first) put it on the stump and make a bunch of firewood. I'd much rather pick up a one hundred pound block of wood than 20 pieces that weigh 5 pounds each.

Give me 8-16" all day and I'll be happy. That said, I cut down to 4" to minimize waste and brush handling. I generally stop at 20". Too much work when I have lots of smaller stuff to cut. I have a lot of 24"+ trunks left laying in the fencerows.

Back