What do you keep your bar oil in??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I don't think I have ever had a gallon of oil that somehow didn't end up without getting a hole in it and loosing most of it... I opened a new jug yesterday and this morning my pickup bed is full of bar oil ....arrrrggh

I have several quart bottles of bar oil that I keep refilling. Strap one to the wheeler when I go cutting. If I'm cutting roadside stuff I just bring the gallon with. Now that I have so many saws the bar oil goes quick.

I fill a quart bottle from the gallon jug just because the smaller bottle is easier to pour into the saw without spilling. But I like Erik's dish soap bottle idea and I might switch to that.

Now that I have so many saws the bar oil goes quick.

Why? You can still only be using one saw at a time. Using eight saws for an hour each vs. one saw for eight hours should use about the same amount of oil.

I fill a quart bottle from the gallon jug just because the smaller bottle is easier to pour into the saw without spilling. But I like Erik's dish soap bottle idea and I might switch to that.

Why? You can still only be using one saw at a time. Using eight saws for an hour each vs. one saw for eight hours should use about the same amount of oil.
Well normally when you buy a used saw it's nearly empty plus a number of my older saws slowly leak oil as they sit.

I keep it in the jug it comes in. IMO it's a waste of time to be transferring it to smaller bottles. How much oil does a saws tank hold anyways, 3/4 of a quart? A full days worth of work I could burn about 5 tanks of gas/oil depending what I'm cutting. If I was carrying a 2 quart bottle it wouldn't last the whole day. Might as well just take the jug.

I dump the jugs into a 1.5 gal gas can. I find its easier to pour. Usually mix in a cup or two of diesel to thin a bit.

I also use the same jug it comes in, buy it by the gallons and when one is empty.........it holds saw has real good too, tie jugs together, never forget one or the other

7ce4fa79331b87099b62fefb77df724a.jpg
df7a71df900fc64743f9c47460cd1364.jpg

Been using this for 2 years.
Mine is a flooring sealant and have 2 spare Tide HTE jugs with a plunge valve
They hold a gallon and don't drip when they are shut off
They do pour a little slow at 10 degrees but are very clean to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7ce4fa79331b87099b62fefb77df724a.jpg
df7a71df900fc64743f9c47460cd1364.jpg

Been using this for 2 years.
Mine is a flooring sealant and have 2 spare Tide HTE jugs with a plunge valve
They hold a gallon and don't drip when they are shut off
They do pour a little slow at 10 degrees but are very clean to use

That's a neat bottle. I wonder if any of the laundry bottle caps like that will screw onto the gallon oil jugs.

I use a coffee creamer jug. The lid snaps tight and seems to hold up. This is only when I go 4 wheeler cutting, when I take the truck, the gallon of TSC bar oil is on the floorboards next to me, where the heat can warm it up.

I forgot to mention. The quart bar oil jugs I like best are the tall narrow round ones that look like a gear lube jug but with a standard top. They seem to pour much better than the rectangle ones.

There pressed on i think
Maybe on that bottle but I think the laundry soap bottle is thread on. Im going to check when I go home tonight. Might depend which brand it is. Or maybe Im thinking its thread on because I remember threading the other cap on the bottle???

Back