What do you know about the Husqvarna 445 or 450 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
There was a 445 for sale locally so I decided to look at the IPL. I see Husky tried to make some improvements to their plastic crankcase with replaceable crankshaft seals and formed crankcase seals for the jug. Does anyone know if that is holding up better than the silicone they used on the 345? Also, what is the story behind the carb? I guess this is the "strato" system I've heard about on this site. Are there any problems with that design? I understand it's used to push air out the exhaust verses fuel/oil mix to reduce emissions. Is the intake reliable, which was a hiccup on the 345? I noticed they added a bit of weight too, .5 lb.

I enjoyed running the 345, it was light, powerful, easy to start, and never had idling problems.

I haven't heard of any of the problems you mentioned on the newer saws. The intake is a formed rubber intake tube system bolted to the cylinder and sealed by a metal plate holding it in place, there are no clamps on these saws. IMO the performance of these saws that replaced the 340/345/350 have been numbed down a tad out of the box but reliability is not an issue for them.

Performance is down and weight up from the 345 with the 445, but Ihave heard only good things about it apart from that. The 450 is the logical choise, as it has more power in the same package.

I've had a 450 for four years and I've never had a problem with it. It starts right up every time even after sitting over the winter. My only complaints are that the fixed oiler sometimes doesn't provide enough oil and then the bar oil leaks when it sits.

I just noticed these only have one nut on the clutch cover. I'm not impressed, but at least they installed dowels on either side of the threaded bolt. Does anyone have trouble with the bar moving up and down after some run time? I had a Stihl MS180 and I couldn't keep the easy adjust thing a ma jigger tight enough to keep the bar from moving. Same problem on a one nut Poulan years ago.

I have had a 450 about a year,cut 7-8 cord of red oak and dropped and blocked a bunch of big pines.
Starts easy, enough power for me. But I'm just a home owner that putters around my property.
I have had no issues with the bar moving or lose chain.

Last edited:
No problems keeping the bar in place unless the mounting surfaces of both the bar and saw aren't clean. Hold the bar tip up when you tension the chain and when you tighten the nut and you should be fine as long as its clean.

There was a 445 for sale locally so I decided to look at the IPL. I see Husky tried to make some improvements to their plastic crankcase with replaceable crankshaft seals and formed crankcase seals for the jug. Does anyone know if that is holding up better than the silicone they used on the 345? Also, what is the story behind the carb? I guess this is the "strato" system I've heard about on this site. Are there any problems with that design? I understand it's used to push air out the exhaust verses fuel/oil mix to reduce emissions. Is the intake reliable, which was a hiccup on the 345? I noticed they added a bit of weight too, .5 lb.

I enjoyed running the 345, it was light, powerful, easy to start, and never had idling problems.

Some folks keep talking about "plastic crankcases" as if there were such a thing on an operable saw.

Yet another me-too, eh? How do you think any thermoplastic would do for retaining main-bearings at full-power, in proximity to a hot muffler? Check the IPL for bolts attaching engine to plastic outer case.

Husqy's strato designs, at least all I've seen, send some plain air into the end of the transfers, so when the transfers open to the cylinder that air is the first gas to enter the cylinder, with the possibility of leaving via the exhaust. (Seems also that this can't help but cool the piston too.) Improved air quality in the area of the saw is a definite plus for the operator. Ditto the reduced mix consumption.

I have had my 445 for close to (2) years now.Not a complaint. Plenty of power pulling a 325/16BC. Easy starting, near zero vibration,and well balanced.What more could you expect from a 45cc saw? Ken

Latest posts

Back