What Do You Think Of Putting 3/8 Chain On A 550XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I absolutely hate .325 chain, so could I put 3/8 on a new 550XP with a shorter bar, say 16"???

Will the saw run it decent?? Will it trash the bearing on the sprocket side of the crank??

SR

I think you'll find that you'd be just fine keeping that size bar with 3/8. I've read a few threads on this here recently.

It's just a horses for courses thing and both are fine.
I hate 3/8 on little saws because it cuts so much rougher on twiggy **** than 325. But I mostly use 50cc saws for cutting olives that often have 30 or 40 stems. The saw has to make a lot of sub 2" cuts for every 12"-20" cut.

I absolutely hate .325 chain, so could I put 3/8 on a new 550XP with a shorter bar, say 16"???

Will the saw run it decent?? Will it trash the bearing on the sprocket side of the crank??

SR
The muffler bearings is what ya need to worry about!
WHY o why do people hate .325 chain????????
I'm thinking it's cause of the sharpening job. I sharpen .325 and 3/8 identical same and it's NOT the recommended way.
My chains cut faster than out of the box square chain.
I'm not pulling your chain either!

The muffler bearings is what ya need to worry about!
WHY o why do people hate .325 chain????????
I'm thinking it's cause of the sharpening job. I sharpen .325 and 3/8 identical same and it's NOT the recommended way.
My chains cut faster than out of the box square chain.
I'm not pulling your chain either!
Cool, please share!

The reason I asked is, I went to my local dealer today, asking for a 550 with 3/8 and he flat out told me he wouldn't do it! He explained it would void my war., and be very hard on the sprocket side crank bearing...

He says the saw was never designed to run 3/8 and he would not recommend trying it...

SR

The reason I asked is, I went to my local dealer today, asking for a 550 with 3/8 and he flat out told me he wouldn't do it! He explained it would void my war., and be very hard on the sprocket side crank bearing...

He says the saw was never designed to run 3/8 and he would not recommend trying it...

SR
Your dealer is an idiot...find a new one. I don't have a 550 but I converted my 346 to 3/8 and it does just fine.

May I as why do you dislike .325 chain? I find Stihl RS .325 to be an awesome setup on my 346 and 550.
I think it maybe because of the little experience I have with it. Lol
It doesn't stand up to the same abuse or use that 3/8's does.
It's just my opinion that if someone is serious about cutting wood they will use 3/8's when they can.
Also, if 325 is as good as 375 more saw racers would be using it.
It's all up to the person using the saw I guess.
John

I agree John I try to stay with 3/8 myself. Most .325 especially the NK stuff is really not great chain. The Stihl RS I'm running has teeth that are almost the same size as RS 3/8 and the overall design seems the same as well. I have found the durability of this chain to be on par, or better than regular 3/8 RS. If you're bumping limbs I highly recommend .325 on 50cc saws, smooth and fast. In larger wood 8" and up I found little difference in firewood applications.

l went back to 325 from 3/8 on my 550xp/ms261. Weedkilla made a good point l can relate too. l think 3/8 would perform better in softer wood on a 50cc saw than what we cut...it can be quite rough compared to 325 in smaller hard stuff. Too me its not a question of power, its handling and smoothness. ln most cases the cutter size on 325 is very similar to 3/8, there's just more of them making for smooth less grabby sawing.

Latest posts

Back