What do you use for a hot ass container?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty99

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do you use for a hot ash container?

I'm looking for a cheaply priced hot ash container. When I'm burning in my wood insert, I tend to get a lot of ash from all the poplar I burn (its pretty much all that's readily available in my area, Alberta, Canada).

So between fires I need to clean out the stove. I've been using a stainless bucket from Princess Auto, cheap but not big enough. Also doesn't have a lid, A lid would go along way in keeping the ash from going everywhere when I move the bucket outside to cool.

What are you using and how much did you pay. I guess I'm targeting this at indoor wood stoves and wood insert burners.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Use the "Tim Hortons" method, get two small metal trash cans and put one inside the other, like they do with hot coffee at the drive thru.

I took a 55 gallon drum and cut about 3/4 off the top. I went to Lowes and got 2 handles and attached them to either side, works great for me.

Mac

You could get one of those buckets that they use at the bars and pubs for putting the cigarette butts in. Red, with a foot pedal to open the lid. Probably pricey for a new one but I have seen them at the flea markets.

I have an old 5 gallon galvanized bucket with a slip on lid that I got at work for free. I just leave it out on the deck in the winter.

:cheers:

Galvanized metal pail. But don't be like my neighbor and put the the bucket of hot ash and coals on your deck. He now has a nice charred bucket bottom-shaped circle in the middle of his deck. Makes for a good conversation starter though: "Gee Alan, aren't you suppose to put the charcoal into the grill before lighting it?"

Its not pretty, but serves me well, down in the basement for my wood furnace.
Its a galvanized metal bushel basket with a rope handle on each side. Can get quite a lot of ash in it before I have to tote it up the steps and outside to dump it. Can probably find one at a farm supply store, or horse supply place. Probably not what ya want setting in your living room,:dizzy: But for me it works well, where its out of sight anyway.
Gregg,

I have an old 5 gallon galvanized bucket with a slip on lid that I got at work for free. I just leave it out on the deck in the winter.

Guess you do not have too many nosey critters on that nice island, like our local bears, coons and neighbor's dogs who love to tip over anything that vaguely resembles possible food on decks ??

Guess you do not have too many nosey critters on that nice island, like our local bears, coons and neighbor's dogs who love to tip over anything that vaguely resembles possible food on decks ??

LOL...neighbors dog is tied, no bears here, and I haven't had a problem with coons yet.

Now skunks....thats different. They don't bother the ash bucket but part of my yard looks like the moon, digging for those stupid grubs.:mad:

If the snows not too deep we dump the stove ashes right into the garden. When it gets deep we throw 'em in a trash can. From there the ashes will then eventually get thrown in the garden or on the driveway for traction.

Whatever you decide it best to contain the ashes in a metal container.

Hey Mark

Me too. But it sure gets hard to carry up the stairs when I am being lazy and fill it all the way up!

Billy

Back