What does a chip guard do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest benefit of the "chip guard" is that it does knock down a bit more sawdust when you bucking.... still not much help when your going over the top of a 48" log to get the far side with a 32" bar!

My MS 290 seems to be missing this part. My dealer doesn't stock them and says they've never ordered one. It goes under the sprocket cover. Thoughts on whether this is needed?

https://store.chainsawr.com/products/stihl-chainsaw-chip-gurad-1125-656-1501

The fact your dealer does not stock them nor ever ordered one- would make me think twice about using that dealer.
Whether this is needed? Well you can run a saw without one- sure, but they don't put them on at the factory just for kicks and giggles- they do what has been explained above.

We looked into this with a group I work with, and it was determined that it helps protect the plastic tank from a number of things.

Your saw will run without it, but it is good practice to have one in place.

As noted, they are common to lose when cleaning, just like those white, plastic, guides on the inside of your clutch cover. That your dealer never ordered one is surprising.

Philbert

Just ordered a new one for my 395xp, the old one was just all soggy spaghetti'd out I guess from bar oil... just mush. Pulled it out last week while cleaning the saw, ran a couple tanks through it without. Chips seem to spray 8ft behind the saw without it.

That's the first thing I remove. I find the chips come out better without it.
Especially when noodle cutting big rounds. The noodles clear better without it and jam up more with it, slowing down the operation. This depends on the saw brand and model, however.

Especially when noodle cutting big rounds. The noodles clear better without it and jam up more with it, slowing down the operation. This depends on the saw brand and model, however.
I'll totally agree with that. My 372 is a better noodling saw than the 395. Clears those noodles out much better. I guess more room under the clutch cover. But, I'm not too sure how much the chip deflector has to do with it... probably need to do an experiment with the 395 since right now it has no chip deflector on it.

I went as far as removing the rubber deflector and cutting the clutch cover a bit so the chips can flow un obstructed. I could care less how far the chips fly. I'm not trying to be neat when I'm cutting. I would much rather have the chips fly a long way and stay away from pilling up under my feet.

Latest posts

Back