what file for Oregon 91 and 90?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick21

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have 3 saws with Oregon 91 chain - looks to be 7/32 or 13/64 is that right? I have found a million different answers most 7/32 or 4.0 mm lol

I got my Stihl 3/8 2 in 1 and it didn't have the same effect on these chains as it did my Stihl .325. (I have three saws w 91 and one pruner with a 90). and yes I got a 2 in 1 for the .325 and a different one for the 3/8

Those are both 3/8, ‘low profile’ chains. Different than full sized 3/8” pitch.

Type 91 takes 4.0mm / 5/32” files.
Type 90 takes 4.5mm / 11/64” files if you can find them, otherwise, use the 5/32”.

Philbert

Thank you - so the big question is this....if I filed with the 13/64 3 to 4 passes on each cutter as well as the raker(Stihl 2 in 1 file) is the chain junk? It did not cut very well

Photos would help.

What's likely to happen is that you carved a very deep 'hook' profile in the chain. This means that the entry of the side plate cutting edge will be delayed, and the chain will probably be very 'grabby'. Not junk, if there is still a lot of metal left. Easiest to clean up on a grinder, but you could file back the top plate some with a flat file, then reshape with the appropriate files.

If you cover postage both ways, I would do that for you as part of my 'Challenge Chain' thread:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philberts-chain-salvage-challenge.245369/
Philbert

Photos would help.

What's likely to happen is that you carved a very deep 'hook' profile in the chain. This means that the entry of the side plate cutting edge will be delayed, and the chain will probably be very 'grabby'. Not junk, if there is still a lot of metal left. Easiest to clean up on a grinder, but you could file back the top plate some with a flat file, then reshape with the appropriate files.

If you cover postage both ways, I would do that for you as part of my 'Challenge Chain' thread:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philberts-chain-salvage-challenge.245369/
Philbert
Thank you Philbert - I will post a pic. I have three chains I did it to!

Confusing ’3/8 low profile’ and ‘full sized 3/8’ pitch is quite common.

There are also some narrow kerf chains that take different files than others of the same ‘pitch’ (rivet spacing).

It can be a challenge to keep up!

Philbert

Back