what firewood kinds be side pine i should not burn in camp fires wood stove and fireplace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barebunns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
what firewood kinds be side pine that i should not burn in campfires wood stove fire place

i know no pine treated stained or painted wood

We're kinda pine snobs here on the east coast, only because God gave us a lot of other species of trees that are better for firewood. Like all the oak varieties, hickory, maple and ash to name a few. Nothing wrong with burning pine if that's all you've got. Just make sure it's good and dry...

Traditionally pine is not burned in the east because the creasote can cause chimney fires as barebunns says
I have heard the reason pine can be such a problem is the very high sap/resin content allows the wood to burn even if pretty wet, so the fire may not get hot enough to prevent creasote formation.
Could be the loblolly pines so common in the east have more sap than Doug fir for example.
I have always wondered at the disparity between what is burned on the east and west coasts too.

Pine is commonly used for campfires in the east.

Pine here on the east coast is great for campfires, and also works fine in outdoor wood boilers. It is ok in a fireplace or woodstoves as long as it is cured really well, and is burned fairly hot.
Definitely stay away from burning treated wood and poison ivy though.

We heat our home 🏡 almost exclusively with wood 🪵. Here on the south western side of Mt Hood, that would be almost impossible without Conifers.

The little bit of Hardwood that we have available to cut is almost entirely yard tree storm damage or removal, mainly Maple 🍁. VERY LITTLE Oak around here, Hickory, Osage Orange??😂😆🤣, I’ve read about them here on AS, actually had never even heard of Osage Orange before joining AS, never burned any, the only Oak I’ve ever burned was lumber scraps from a cabinet shop

Only Fools and Idiots Believe that Pine is the main ingredient in the recipe for burning your house down.

Douglas Fir 🌲 is our Premium Firewood around here, we get mostly White Fir in our cutting areas, but I would be Happy if Lodgepole Pine was more common, it is a very Dry Wood to start with, and seasons Quickly. Most Conifers do season quickly, often if cut in the spring, they are ready to burn by early fall, not the 2-4 years that I have read here on AS about Many Oak and other Hardwoods

ANY Conifer that has been seasoned out of the weather for a year, is easily ready to burn without worry about excessive creosote

Conifers have their advantages, the already mentioned short seasoning time, plus processing is much faster, walk the downed tree with a small saw, limbing as you go, then you are bucking telephone poles, I have seen enough pictures of many hardwoods to understand the “Hard” references the processing of it

Nope, not much of your kind of Hardwood around here, for us “Hardwood” is either too far from the trailer, downhill from the trailer, or often BOTH 😢

Doug 😎

I burn whatever, pine,oak, mulberry, maple, Poplar etc. Never had creosote issues with the chimney. Spent the last month of our heating season burning pine mixed with Poplar and occasionally topping with oak if it got colder out overnight. Season your wood properly.

In the upper California mountains we burn a lot of lodgepole pine. The BTU heating value is fairly good, it does not produce excessive amounts of ash, and does not cause excessive amounts of creosote. Since it is not heavy with pitch or sap it is easy to handle without getting sticky hands. Availability is good here. It tends to be fairly easy to split. Doug fir is also plentiful here and has a little better btu rating than the lodgepole. Some of the other pines in the area do not have as good btu ratings and can be more pitchy.

I burned pine almost exclusively in my stove for nearly 10 years when I lived in Colorado. Swept my chimney twice in that time and barely needed it. Loved the smell and the way it all handled. Still not sure what all the fuss is about.

Mostly that many people don't know how to cut decent wood, how to season said wood, how to burn a clean fire, or how to clean a chimney.

Back