what fuel and oil types

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was just curious what fuel and oil types do put use in there saws. I see that most or alot on here like to modify their saws so I figured the fuel and oil were fair game too.

With the stihl 260, 044 and 066 I use 87 octane gas and stihl oil mixture. Should I be using 93 octane to get better performance or is this bad for the saw?

Chris

Definately use the highest octane gas that you can find at the pump. Most chainsaws take quite a while to use a gallon of gas and to me the extra $.20 investment in that gallon is cheap insurance against detonation.

Danny

87 octane with stihl oil mixed 40:1, never had a problem with saws because of it, and as far as not using a gallon of gass very quickly, we use between 1 1/2 to 2 gallons a day

Last edited:
My dealer told me that outdoor power equipment performs and lasts better on a steady diet of premium gas. Probably has to do with the higher operating temp of air-cooled engines, I would think.

I've been running Sunoco 93 octane fuel with Amsoil Saber oil mixed at 75:1. I'm going to try Stihl's Ultra HP oil next with the same fuel mixed at 50:1.

I've been running pump premium, preferably without ethanol, with Echo Powerblend (synthetic blend) 40-1 in all of my saws and string trimmer. I believe that 2 stroke oil lowers octane, so starting with a better grade of gasoline for the small price difference makes sense. Echo claims their product perfectly safe at 50-1, but paranoia makes me mix it 40-1. I would rather have too much oil than not enough. Echo Powerblend is $23/gallon locally.

premium fuel and stihl ultra! I like running c12 race fuel as well but believe it to be kinda a waste(but I do so love that smell!)

it doesn't really matter where you buy your fuel (in the US) becasue most of it is made in the same refineries then sold to different gas stations. as long as you dont have any ethinol in the fuel your good to go. 93 octane is nice too.
good quality oil is where it counts, dont cheap out on that stuff, if your going to be mixing at something like 32:1 or 40:1 you should make sure you use hgih octane fuel as those high oil content ratios dilute the octane content in your mix.
in my opinion, 50:1 and up your safe with fresh 83 octane.

91 to 93 octane premium (0% ethanol) gas mixed 50:1 with Stihl Ultra fully synthetic oil in my chainsaws and trimmers.

A stock saw you can use pretty much 87 pump gas and the recommended oil mix your manufacturer recommends. Most guys here run saws to put food on the table, and have found adding a bit more oil doesn't hurt anything, least of which is reliability, same goes for mixing in some race gas, AVgas, or buying hi-test at the pump.

I use 50:50 reg:AVgas because I have it left over from winter when I put this mix in my Polaris XCR800 tripple/tripple snomachine. It requires the higher octane rating. I find this mix in my saws work perfectly fine, and smells good. I mix 50:1 Husky synthetic and add about an ounce of Blenzall Ultra 455 racing castor to the 1.5 gallon jug to make it smell really good. And that little bit of castor won't hurt as castor is the best 2-stroke lube bar none, but it leaves carbon residue. This is why I only add an ounce, so it won't have that problem.

As posters will tell you, you really only need a higher rated fuel if you've bumped up the compression. Otherwise, it is simply your choice.

Would it hurt my stihls to run 32:1 gas? I am getting some homelite stuff and i dont want to mess with having 2 mixes.:rock:

Would it hurt my stihls to run 32:1 gas? I am getting some homelite stuff and i dont want to mess with having 2 mixes.:rock:
I use 50:1 in all my 2 stroke equipment (including my 036 Pro and MS200T) so I've just been using this same mix for my Homelite SXL, it seems to be working well. I think modern oils protect and mix a lot better than they did years ago, you should be plenty safe using 50:1 (with modern oil) in your Homelite(s).

Latest posts

Back