What fun! Huztl MS440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
msmmce1

msmmce1

ArboristSite Lurker
Well it started last year I discovered that my 2005 MS290 was melted, I used it to heat my home for 5 years or so and it has seen sporadic use since then. I rebuilt it with a HIPA P&C from Amazon, original OEM crank and Koyo 6203 c3 bearings from Ebay. Has a blast doing it, was super easy and runs great! Had been thinking about one of the Huztl kits for a while so got the 440 and with the help from here and M.O. step by steps videos got it together and running well! Mostly all from the kit except for a different chinese carb from amazon, oem control lever and an Oregon clutch drum. Well now what? I needed a small saw so got the Huztl MS180 , super easy to build, everything from the kit except the clutch(springs were too heavy) and throttle rod(too long). Both start easy and run well, only have about 2 tanks through each so far so time tell. I think I'm ready to do the 660, getting bored! 20190109_165110.jpg 20190313_220847.jpg 20190420_162221.jpg 20190420_162227.jpg

JoshNY

JoshNY

ArboristSite Operative
I just wrapped up a huztl 440 build also.
Used an oem piston pin bearing and circlips. Couldn't get the Farmertec carb to pump any fuel and lost a spring trying to take it apart and mess with it, so it got a $12 carb from Amazon prime and it runs well.
Also had to do the oem choke lever as the Huztl ones seem to bind.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

msmmce1

msmmce1

ArboristSite Lurker
I had trouble getting the Farmertec carb to tune right, the low speed screw was actually bent, not sure if that had anything to do with it so I got a $12.00 Amazon carb as well and it seems to work better. I used the kit piston pin bearing and circlips, I did trim them way back. Oh yeah, I did use an OEM fuel line, the kit line leaked at the carb.

Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

ArboristSite Lurker
I'm in the process of building right now
I had about 65 thousands swish with no base gasket. So I'm having 60 thousands removed from the base. I hope it does not screw up the timing too bad. Everything else seems good pritty close to the fit and finish to the 660 kit. I have a set of caber rings I'd like to use. Has anyone had experience with them in a hutzel top end? I remember reading at some point the caber wrings are too hard and will wear the cycle walls of a hutzel jug.

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
. AS Supporting Member.
Except that a worn out or broken Chinese saw will likely be worth absolutely nothing, whereas a worn out or broken German saw will be worth a reasonable amount of money.

If the performance is the same for a shortened life span, that is one thing, but to accept reduced performance and no value at the end is another.

Rebuilding a worn out Stihl or Husqvarna for the same amount of money seems like a better option to me. IDK?

cuinrearview

cuinrearview

Red saw lover
Except that a worn out or broken Chinese saw will likely be worth absolutely nothing, whereas a worn out or broken German saw will be worth a reasonable amount of money.

If the performance is the same for a shortened life span, that is one thing, but to accept reduced performance and no value at the end is another.

Rebuilding a worn out Stihl or Husqvarna for the same amount of money seems like a better option to me. IDK?
Plus you miss out on the thrill of the hunt. Last summer it felt like every other week I was setting a $20 complete 1125 Stihl or 372XP in my trunk. You get that "first pop after assembly" adrenaline rush three or four times in the process when you source and re-build OEM.

Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

ArboristSite Lurker
I think we have all seen this Chinese kit “debate” thing play out in the forums over many years. That’s OK that people are critical of the kits, there is a lot to criticize. However, I think there are some people and application were these saws are actually a lot of fun and make sense. I don’t think of the Farmer Tec kits as comparable to OEM by any measure and are certainly not a direct replacement. These kits have all kinds of issues and they are not for everyone but some people really enjoy building them and that’s also OK. I have several OEM Stihl and Husqvarna saw and really enjoy those as well if that matters.

Walt does a good job of explaining why some people really enjoy these FT saws.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeSmzDUfukI

I’m just asking a technical question related to saw building which unless something has changed is what this forum is all about.

Dropping 60 thousands likely to be a problem?

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
. AS Supporting Member.
I haven’t built one of those kits, so my opinion is invalid. From a casual observer standpoint, I see them as a good learning tool, or a model to assemble (like a model airplane or something), or simply as a challenge.

But if you want a rockin’ saw, then why not buy one or build one from the best available, proven choices. Imo.

Chinese made stuff certainly isn’t all bad. Far from it.

Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

ArboristSite Lurker
I haven’t built one of those kits, so my opinion is invalid. From a casual observer standpoint, I see them as a good learning tool, or a model to assemble (like a model airplane or something), or simply as a challenge.

But if you want a rockin’ saw, then why not buy one or build one from the best available, proven choices. Imo.

Chinese made stuff certainly isn’t all bad. Far from it.

Absolutely.

Latest posts