What Happened to Partner Chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.... Were the 51/55 ever made in Partner colors? ....

No, they were not (not the 50 either). Many Partner models were made at the Husky factory, but they weren't based on any Husky models (except maybe some cut-off saws?).

Other Partner models based on the P400 were (at least) the 410, 450, 460, 490 (not to be confused with the red 490) and 510.

Bob look up the 50 magnum in a google search. Rumor has it dealers would get in the newer husky 50's and put new partner 5000 tops on them and called them 50 magnums.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwharrie View Post
Back in the 80's we were selling a Husqvarna 50 Magnum. This saw was created in Charlotte, NC by the Husqvarna Distributor owned by Jim Thompson, The guy that made Husqvarna as far as I'm concerned. They brought in Partner 5000 cylinders and pistons and put them on 50 Rancher (the old white top) saws. These saws were awesome. The first one I received we got out of the box on Thursday and blew the competition out of the water on Saturday at the Races. Back then we had Chainsaw competition's on monthly bases. Husqvarna Sweden made them stop building them in the states. We built some ourselves after they stopped. It was a simple bolt on with no modifying at all. Someday I'll tell you more about the old Husqvarna distributors that made Huqvarna what they are today.

This says white tops. I read in another thread later 50's.

I have heard similar stories before, but not sure if the sourse was the same. :msp_smile:

Thanks, you guys have filled in some of the blanks. But I still don't have a clear picture of why all of the Husky 51/55 jugs have that threaded hole in them. Maybe another way to ask this is were there any Partner models that used those same open port cylinders? Seems like most of the small Partners aside from the P400 family were closed port designs.

Thanks, you guys have filled in some of the blanks. But I still don't have a clear picture of why all of the Husky 51/55 jugs have that threaded hole in them. Maybe another way to ask this is were there any Partner models that used those same open port cylinders? Seems like most of the small Partners aside from the P400 family were closed port designs.

The P540 and P543 used the same open port 46mm jugs as the 55.

Otherwise, those saws were related to the P500/P5000. :msp_wink:

The P540 and P543 used the same open port 46mm jugs as the 55.

Otherwise, those saws were related to the P500/P5000. :msp_wink:

The Formula 500 partner I had was a open port 45mm.

It wouldn't surprice me if it is tha same as the 51 usually used.

Like SawTroll said the 540 and 543 used the exact same open port top end as the Husky 55
The 45mm Formula 500 top end is the same top as a Husky 51.

Spike without going into deep details like dates etc, just remember that Elux raped, robbed and pillaged its accusitions back in those days. The 500 design predates the Husky 50/51/55 saws, so its plain to see that Elux just used a good cylinder design that Partner already had when it came time for them to design there saws. Thats why the Husky cyls had that threaded hole in them, they are based on a Partner cyl design.

Same with the handle designs on the Jreds etc. You have to remember that Elux wanted Husqvarna to be the top dog in there holdings and Husqvarna saws would probably not be what they are today if it were not for Partner, Poulan, Jonsereds,Pioneer etc. Its just business.

You have to remember that we only see what goes on here in North America and that were not the only place Husqvarna does business. Parts used for one saw here might end up on something else overseas so maybet that threaded hole is used on something else.

Spike, here is a picture of the cyl on my Partner 540. You can see where the threaded hole is used on the Partner, but look close and you can see the boss for the decomp that cannot be used on the Partner but its still there anyway.

attachment.php

A shot from the other side should look familiar to you.

attachment.php

My best buddy is in the concrete business and will ONLY use Partner demo saws. He told me the other day that he can no longer buy a Partner saw and that there all branded Huskvarna now.

I questioned if there still Partner saws and he said that they were, just orange, branded as Husqvarna.

I'm just stating what he told me, as I have not seen for myself.

Mark the contractor I use at work just bought 2 brand new Husky cut off saws for use cutting steel .The air cleaners say Partner K 750? ( or K 7 somthing ).

Mark the contractor I use at work just bought 2 brand new Husky cut off saws for use cutting steel .The air cleaners say Partner K 750? ( or K 7 somthing ).

Jeff, I dont know what all has been going on in the demo saws. I know my buddy who owns a mudjacking/concrete business has been through all the brands of demo saws over the years. Concrete contractors are very hard on demo saws, Partners are the only ones he would buy. A while back though he was complaining that he can no longer get "Partner" saws and he now has to buy Husqvarna demo saws.

He swears there junk compared to the Partner saws but thats all he can get now.

He had me do some top ends on his old Partner saws last summer just because he liked them so much over the Stihls and now Husqvarna's.

Jeff, I dont know what all has been going on in the demo saws. I know my buddy who owns a mudjacking/concrete business has been through all the brands of demo saws over the years. Concrete contractors are very hard on demo saws, Partners are the only ones he would buy. A while back though he was complaining that he can no longer get "Partner" saws and he now has to buy Husqvarna demo saws.

He swears there junk compared to the Partner saws but thats all he can get now.

He had me do some top ends on his old Partner saws last summer just because he liked them so much over the Stihls and now Husqvarna's.

I believe they some times have been the same, and some times not - not sure what the situation is right now, but I suspect they most likely are the same? :msp_confused:

Last edited:
I believe they some times have been the same, and some times not - not sure what the situation is right now, but I suspect they most likely are the same? :msp_confused:

I'm not sure, I never paid that much attention to them. I think though, they went with the newer strato Husky saws for the demos now.

I dont like to work on them, there useally a mess.

I'm not sure, I never paid that much attention to them. I think though, they went with the newer strato Husky saws for the demos now.

I dont like to work on them, there useally a mess.

I never paid much attention either, but believe some older Partners were based in the 3120, as were some older Huskys.

It is a bit interesting that Husky have made "strato" 94cc cut-off saws for quite a while, but it hasn't transferred into chainsaws yet - too heavy? :msp_confused:

I never paid much attention either, but believe some older Partners were based in the 3120, as were some older Huskys.

It is a bit interesting that Husky have made "strato" 94cc cut-off saws for quite a while, but it hasn't transferred into chainsaws yet - too heavy? :msp_confused:

You maybe right, I worked on that one newer Husky he had and I think it's a strato.

All I know, is I have been in and around construction for years now and everyone calls a demo saw a "Partner" saw no matter who made it. Partner ruled that part of the business forever. At least till Husky killed it off.

You maybe right, I worked on that one newer Husky he had and I think it's a strato.

All I know, is I have been in and around construction for years now and everyone calls a demo saw a "Partner" saw no matter who made it. Partner ruled that part of the business forever. At least till Husky killed it off.

Yes, but I don't really know what the situation is today. :confused2:

Like SawTroll said the 540 and 543 used the exact same open port top end as the Husky 55
The 45mm Formula 500 top end is the same top as a Husky 51.

Spike without going into deep details like dates etc, just remember that Elux raped, robbed and pillaged its accusitions back in those days. The 500 design predates the Husky 50/51/55 saws, so its plain to see that Elux just used a good cylinder design that Partner already had when it came time for them to design there saws. Thats why the Husky cyls had that threaded hole in them, they are based on a Partner cyl design.

Thanks Mark, Troll, and Kevin! I figured there had to be some sort of missing link model that would explain it. And the Partner model came first, huh? Pretty interesting. As I said earlier, there are hardly any Partner's around here, so knowledge like that certainly isn't going to be picked up by experience in the shop.

Seems like Partner contributed way more to the ELUX group technology wise than did Jonsered. In the US at least, Jonsered held a much stronger market position, but after the pure Jonnys, like the 49's and 70's, Jonsered was borrowing rather than contributing as far as the tech stuff goes.

Seems like Partner contributed way more to the ELUX group technology wise than did Jonsered. In the US at least, Jonsered held a much stronger market position, but after the pure Jonnys, like the 49's and 70's, Jonsered was borrowing rather than contributing as far as the tech stuff goes.

Very true!

Interesting thread, I learned a lot. Partner seems to have been very innovative.

Latest posts

Back