What Hardwood Specices Has The Thickest Bark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron Head

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can you guys help me rate the hardwood species with the thickest bark?
I thought if anybody would know it be you guys with experience splitting them.

Black locust bark can be pretty thick.

Don't know about being the thickest though?

Australian IRONBARK has the thickest,most abrasive bark of any tree hardwood or softwood in OZ,the timber is very hard,very tough.When dry almost impossible to drive a nail into without pre / drilling holes.Regarded as one of the hardest timbers in the world, its bark can be more than 10 inches thick,the older the tree the more dust,grit gets imbedded in the bark fibres, using a stump vice on an old ironbark tree stump is almost impossible ,u have to belt the vice to get it to penetrate the wood usually resulting in a deformed vice or just bouncing off into the scrub.The bark has been used as sanding blocks to smooth softer timbers such is its hard ,abrasive texture.:cheers:

Second on black locust lots of thick bark some of it is well over an inch thick.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure on thickest, but *nastiest* to cut bark around here is old mature shagbark hickory. I call it dinosaur scales. I axe off as much as possible at every big cut area. Axe it off, then broom it off, then I cut it. I have had a chain go from perfectly sharp to dull in half a cut! Thats why the countermeasures now.

Of the wood I cut, probably Swamp White Oak or Burr Oak. I put a set of the oversize dogs on my 385xp, just for that reason. I could never get a good bite with the smaller stock dogs. I can't recall ever cutting any Cottonwood. We have one large Cottonwood on our property, and I think some of the ridges on that bark would have to go 3" thick.

:cheers:
Gregg,

I have to agree with the big old Shaggies!! When I was living out in the hills of SE Ohio used to bring spare sharpened chains with me to cut that beautiful wood!! Then the Bur oak ( have some out back), Chestnut Oak, and Cork Oak, oh also big Black Oak!
But around here the thickest is definately the big Black Locust!! Magnificent firewood!! Almost as much heat as coal!!!

I have to say Black Locust; I have stripped off bark pieces [at least 3" thick in spots] which has had small cedar trees themselves growing out of.

Australian IRONBARK has the thickest,most abrasive bark of any tree hardwood or softwood in OZ...... its bark can be more than 10 inches thick,

Really? More than 250mm thick? I've cut a lot of ironbark in my time, and some big old granddaddy ironbarks too, but never come across anything even half so thick as that ;-)

Shaun

I would have to agree with most on here that Cottonwood has the thickest bark, but black walnut has the worst bark in my experience. Thick and holds lots of dirt.

Back