What I like about the MAXX chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RES

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As far as I know, the MAXX grinder is the only grinder (except for Swing Arm Grinders) that allows you to put the grinder wheel at the exact same place on left & right chain teeth. This is done by swinging the motor carriage from left to right, reversing the chain on the vise chain holder and rotating the vise carriage to the opposite side. Am I correct on this?

Oregon 511AX has a centering vise the other 510,511 108181 don't. My Maxx is close but it's not spot on. Still need to measure your teeth.
Shep

I'm not an expert, but I believe the big difference/advantage with the Maxx is that by being able to swing the head to either side, you can always grind into the tooth (no burr on the outside of the cutter). The only other way to achieve this is a reversible motor, as on the Silvey machines (a 510/P&D is a more apt comparison than a Swing Arm or other square grinder, though the same is true of all Silvey designs). Some would argue that the Maxx method is preferable because the wheel is never spinning towards you and throwing sparks at your face.

The reversible vise sounds like a plus over the regular vise. I've got three Oregon grinders and find they do OK, but I'm just a homeowner who can only guage how sharp a chain is on what I have done in the past.

Back