What is a clamshell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Knight

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What exactly is meant when guys talk of a clamshell design?

It seems to not be spoken of very well in terms of saw design here on the forum. Is there a engineering or technical reason for this negativity, or does it just cause the saw to feel different (and thus not liked)?

Well take your 180 apart and look at that engine. It is a clamshell design. I would say from engineering there is nothing wrong with it and its probably cheaper and eaiser to build. The engine doesnt lend itself well to modification as others do too. The complaint with most is the plastic that the engine is attached to. I would do a search and see what you can find. Oh ya you may be close to Fish maybe he can enlighten you with some of his wisdom.:cheers:

What exactly is meant when guys talk of a clamshell design?......

Well take your 180 apart and look at that engine. It is a clamshell design.......

Let me save you the trouble. :laugh:

attachment.php

How about this. Its an 031 but gives you the idea. The bottom half of engine is attaching point for handle and other parts. Not the best example but only pic I could find quick.:D
attachment.php

OK, so what do we call 'non-clamshell' design saws (aside from 'non-clamshell designed saws')?

The clamshell part refers to the crank/bearing housing being attached to the jug?

Thanks.

Philbert

OK, so what do we call 'non-clamshell' design saws (aside from 'non-clamshell designed saws')?

The clamshell part refers to the crank/bearing housing being attached to the jug?

Thanks.

Philbert

I believe around these parts there called "pro saws" even though many are not run by "pros". :laugh:

72a5_1.jpg

Top half of a Homelite XL2, picture pinched from an eBay auction.

Non-clamshell (horizontally-split crankcase) saws would be those with vertically-split, two-piece crankcases. Here, the cylinder was unbolted and the two halves of the vertically-split crankcase are plainly identifiable.

6401_Exhaust.jpg

Non-clamshell . . . saws would be those with vertically-split, two-piece crankcases. Here, the cylinder was unbolted and the two halves of the vertically-split crankcase are plainly identifiable.

Thanks. That's a helpful photograph.

I need to tear down some pro saws and look at their 'innards'.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back