What is 'cold' weather for you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-35F is cold to me....
Mild temps for winter is anything above 0....

We have had ice on the stock tank already this year. It was 21 degrees the other morning. I burn outside and the wood fired stove has been in service since September 14th and will stay lit until early May...

Wow...a long burning season!

I just lit the first fire of the season this evening in the basement wood furnace because its suppose to get down to freezing tonight.

If its windy and wet in the low 40's I'll start a fire, otherwise the heatpump takes the edge off.

30s and below its fire all the time.

below 20 the osage orange comes out!

I agree totally that the wind changes all these numbers in the flat open area I live in(only 6 more big old drafty windows to replace yet!).

What is the highest outside temperture at which you start a fire? 50
What is 'mild' weather for you?45-60
What is 'cold' weather for you? lower than 25. I might have to keep the hat on when splitting

Generally we start burning when it gets down in the 50's at night.

Mostly an evening through mid morning thing to knock the chill off.

Once it gets below 50 all day we keep a good fire going constantly.

I don't mind the cold and stay busy outside throughout winter, but once it gets below zero it's cold. Nothing to get wound up about, it just slows things down and ya gotta work harder doing anything.

Once it gets down below the negative teens, it's just dadgum cold and ya deal with it, with a sick sense of humor.

I dislike the cold and wet with wind crap almost as much as the Heat.
Sloppy half frozen slush and mud in 40 degree damp air, just sucks the heat right outta ya, and once wet, ya stay wet, and even working up a froth wont get you warm again. It makes me half crazy when the hands are too stiff to work with any dexterity on wet drip line splices LOL!!

I'll take the cold and wet, before Hot, muggy as hell and bugs chewing on me though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

west coast wussies

We start our wood stove when it gets to a bone- chilling 40 f outside (night low!) But we have an excuse.. we go from 105+ f in the summer down to 5-15 f in the winter. And the springs and falls average 3 weeks long!!

What is the highest outside temperture at which you start a fire?
What is 'mild' weather for you?

1. Depends on wind, length of time at that temp, and inside temp. Typically 53 or below outside the stove will get started to take the chill out of the air inside. House is well insulated.

2. Mild is 50 and above for me. That depends on what your used to. Coming out of winter 35 will feel mild. Coming out of summer 35 will feel cold. I hate above 70 temps. I suffered this summer with 90s!

3. Cold is Under 10 degrees

Anywhere in between I'm fine. I typically like it colder than the average person.

A little survay:

Everyone probably has their own definitions of what 'mild', 'cool' and 'cold' are, based on where thay live, how their house is insulated, and even their metabolic rate.

What is the highest outside temperture at which you start a fire?...55*
What is 'mild' weather for you?.....50's-60* High day...40*low night.
What is 'cold' weather for you? When my nose hairs freeze together less than 10 paces from the back door.

1. Depends on wind, length of time at that temp, and inside temp. Typically 53 or below outside the stove will get started to take the chill out of the air inside. House is well insulated.

2. Mild is 50 and above for me. That depends on what your used to. Coming out of winter 35 will feel mild. Coming out of summer 35 will feel cold. I hate above 70 temps. I suffered this summer with 90s!

3. Cold is Under 10 degrees

Anywhere in between I'm fine. I typically like it colder than the average person.

As if my mind was being read. :cheers:

I was in Minnesota last January when the temp dropped below -40. Heater in the truck could only get the inside of the truck to 50. Nice thing was the wind was howling at a good clip while I fought my frozen shut fuel caps for 30 minutes trying to fuel up. I was wondering what that kind of weather was defined as.

Stay the freak inside weather or those that want to drive are crazy weather or
build a good fire and pray for a good movie on tv weather.

I have software that takes the outside temperature from a USB port connected thermometer which gives me the proper wood mix to use in the stove, the proper air control and an automatic ignition system to start the burn at the precise time ( CompuBurn 2.0 software ). The system also has a thermostat for interior temperature, senses humidity, sunload on the house and gets an updated NWS forecast every three hours. There are optional attachments for sensing one's personal metabolic rate and body temperature, and formulas that take into account variables such as poor circulation, but I thought that was over-kill so I passed on those.

Actually, if I get cold I start a fire. If I'm not, I don't.

The true definition of cold is working on one's car in ( insert northern state or country here ) without a garage, on something small enough that one can't wear gloves. You know, when your fingers fall off after 5 minutes, that sort of thing.

The true definition of cold is working on one's car in ( insert northern state or country here ) without a garage, on something small enough that one can't wear gloves. You know, when your fingers fall off after 5 minutes, that sort of thing.

Ah, like working on snowmobile carburetors, outside in the wind, in Maine in January. Nothing like gas all over your hands when it's 5F and windy :cheers:

A little survay:

Everyone probably has their own definitions of what 'mild', 'cool' and 'cold' are, based on where thay live, how their house is insulated, and even their metabolic rate.

My versions depend greatly on how much complaining my wife does. To me, her "built in" thermostat is very inaccurate.

Cold to me is below freezing, mild is 55+. I don't know about you guys, but what gets me is the WIND. Wind makes the cool cold and freezing cold unbearable for me. I can deal with the cold, I can do without the wind.

A little survay:

I don't start a fire until the temps are below 50 and then only when it is cloudy and there isn't any sun to help warm the house.
Mild weather is anything over 50 and cold is below -10F.
Fires this time of year are started in the morning when the house has cooled off overnight. Helps to have the wife at home keeping the fire going or letting it die because she is baking goodies.

Back