What Is Comparative Value Of Green vs. Seasoned Wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two years ago a local firewood purveyor was running an unadvertised special for cut and split green wood. 120/cord and you haul it. I bought three cords as an attempt to get myself a year ahead in my scrounging. He told me he was trying to make a little money on the quick turn-around as he didnt have the room to store everything that he was splitting and what was still coming from his log supplier. His processor split, his bobcat filled my trailer and when all was stacked I had a little more than 3 1/3 cords. To me, the best money I have spent in a long time. He hasnt done that since but Id buy like that again in a heartbeat if he offered.

Lots of guys selling firewood on the side up here. $180 green c/s/delivered. Had a young feller advertising in a local paper for cutting-splitting or stacking firewood for $8.00 hr. I gave him some work doing all 3, and that young man sure wasn't afraid of work. I paid him more than he was asking for, bought his gas and oil and fed him lunch. Don't see that too often now a days.

Lots of guys selling firewood on the side up here. $180 green c/s/delivered. Had a young feller advertising in a local paper for cutting-splitting or stacking firewood for $8.00 hr. I gave him some work doing all 3, and that young man sure wasn't afraid of work. I paid him more than he was asking for, bought his gas and oil and fed him lunch. Don't see that too often now a days.
SEND HIM ON DOWN.:D

I personally burn and sell wood. I cut it green split and stack and four months later burn it. I stuck my moisture meter in my firewood (so I could explain to a customer), and it was at 10% moisture content, but I also live in the south where it's hot and humid.
You need to get a different meter or learn to use it properly. I doubt any piece of wood in your house is that low moisture content.

Sycamore will dry a bunch in a few months, cut and split in the spring and you can burn it come winter. But it won't be any where near 10 percent, unless you're in the desert.

I cut Ash in the morning chunk it split it put a rank in my kiln next day at noon the end of the sticks are 8 to 10 percent resplit a stick check the middle it is 14 to 16 percent I check it with 2 different meter. Some of the sticks will split there self's in the kiln. That is with heat and air flow and some times the Hydo.

Wonder what the total net energy from a stack of wood dried in a kiln is after subtracting the energy the drying process takes.

I do different firewood so I get mini $2.50 a bundle. A rank gross's $250.00 not old pickup load for $50.00. I have bundles that I get as high as $10.00 it runs me about $4.00 dollars a rank. The heat goes in the back of the the fan pulls the heat thru the wood and discharges out side the first 6 hours is known thing but water smoke after 06:00 in the morning nothing but dry heat.
Wonder what the total net energy from a stack of wood dried in a kiln is after subtracting the energy the drying process takes.
Would depend on your heat source and the efficiency of the kiln.

Philbert

Philbert has it right. Part of what you are charging is the value that is added when you invest time, money, and equipment depreciation. Also the cost of using your land as a woodlot. Your customers are buying the use of these resources that you invested. Money that is invested over time has value. Cash flow adds value. Not having immediate cash flow makes it necessary to charge more for the use of your money.
I hope this makes sense.
Dan

You need to get a different meter or learn to use it properly. I doubt any piece of wood in your house is that low moisture content.
iv'e checked some locust that i had . c/s/s. brought in in the shop and just for giggles hit it with the mm. 6-8%. thought the battery was gettin weak. rechecked after new battery and same readings. oak out of the same pile was 12-14 %.

Are those numbers from the outside surface or from a freshly split portion close to the middle? Red oak can give those numbers in a few weeks to a month on an outside edge....but we all know will be like a sponge on a freshly split side of the same piece.

Would depend on your heat source and the efficiency of the kiln.Philbert
The amount of energy used to heat the wood to speed moisture removal would be the same regardless of the fuel source, unless a very inefficient heat system was used.

Hot dang! I hope the fella who started this thread realizes he's getting his money's worth with all this feedback and great information!

StihlRockin' :D

My kiln is very good were I live NG is $0.43 a gal. My heat is in the back my fans in the front pulls the air at a 140 to 160 degrees discharge out side in summer and the some of it in to the shop in winter time. My hydo will pull a gal a hour when Iuse it and iI am in a hurry for dry wood. 1 rank of wood AshGreene 24 hours I can pull the wood down to 8 to 10 on the ends resplit one the middle will be 14 to 16. I pull roughly 12 gal. Of water out. The wood is to hot to hold with brown jersey gloves

l don't buy firewood..that wood be funny:laugh::laugh:. But with the wood l cut and season l don't mind having say about 1/3 of it semi green. It depends on how you burn your wood but a partial percentage of greener wood is preferred by some to slow the burn rate down. If l did pay for wood l suppose l would not want it all green.

Latest posts

Back